The Iconic Leica Look

Herman Zhang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Indeepthought said:

In all seriousness, the Leica Look does exist, as does the Nikon, Canon, Pentax look...

Whilst I agree that there is irrefutable evidence that "The Leica Look" exists as an abstract concept I have never once seen any incontrovertible proof whatsoever that it exists in reality. I am, of course, willing to be surprised. So; let's see what anyone present can produce - right here in this thread - which will prove that this 'concept' is factual rather than merely fantastical.

Philip.

6 minutes ago, pippy said:

Whilst I agree that there is irrefutable evidence that "The Leica Look" exists as an abstract concept I have never once seen any incontrovertible proof whatsoever that it exists in reality. I am, of course, willing to be surprised. So; let's see what anyone present can produce - right here in this thread - which will prove that this 'concept' is factual rather than merely fantastical.

Philip.

PP can alter an image and the exif can be manipulated, therefore anything posted might be questionable. I might see the LL’ in an image but will a third party? My theory is that some eyes are able to see the LL  ..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Indeepthought said:

PP can alter an image and the exif can be manipulated, therefore anything posted might be questionable...

"Anything Posted" Indeepthought?...

My own view (FWIW) is that, empirically, the only way in which any image(s) might be considered in any discussion regarding "The Leica Look" would be for a selection of identical images to be taken at the same time of the same subject matter from the same position using a diverse range of similar lenses (1960 Canon 50mm f1.2 / Leitz 50mm f1.2 and so on); all of these images being shot on the same roll of film and that only the negatives from that particular film strip should be examined against their 'compatriots' without undergoing any further intermediary steps (such as printing) as these subsequent steps might skew the results from those of the preliminary examinations...

😺

For obvious reasons nothing shot on Digital is even remotely admissible as 'Evidence'.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, pippy said:

"Anything Posted" Indeepthought?...

My own view (FWIW) is that, empirically, the only way in which any image(s) might be considered in any discussion regarding "The Leica Look" would be for a selection of identical images to be taken at the same time of the same subject matter from the same position using a diverse range of similar lenses (1960 Canon 50mm f1.2 / Leitz 50mm f1.2 and so on); all of which images were shot on the same roll of film and that only the negatives from that particular film strip should be examined without any further intermediary steps (such as printing) as these steps might skew the results from those primary examinations.

For obvious reasons nothing shot on Digital is even remotely admissible as 'Evidence'.

😺

Philip.

That’s been done! Way back, it was 3 out of 5 -5  negatives, 5 people 3 chose the Leica negative. Nothing conclusive. Here’s the question:- why do we spend thousands on Leica equipment if there is no discernible difference between Leica and other equipment? Is it marketing, I doubt it, QC, that’s iffy! IQ now that’s something else. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Indeepthought said:

That’s been done! Way back, it was 3 out of 5 -5  negatives, 5 people 3 chose the Leica negative. Nothing conclusive. Here’s the question:- why do we spend thousands on Leica equipment if there is no discernible difference between Leica and other equipment? Is it marketing, I doubt it, QC, that’s iffy! IQ now that’s something else. 

I use Leica M stuff not because there is any discernible difference in IQ when compared with anything else on the market but primarily because of the way an M-camera and I interact with one another. This intuitive understanding goes back a very long way and it really is as simple as that.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, pippy said:

I use a Leica M not because there is any discernible difference in IQ from anything else but primarily because of the way the camera and I interact with one another. This feeling goes back a very long way and it really is as simple as that.

Philip.