Opinions from experience welcome

Leslie22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm packing for an Italy & Spain holiday over Christmas and the new year.

Undecided between the Leica 35 1.4 FLE and the Zeiss 1.4 Dist. I've put to one side the issue of size & weight. 

To my eye the Zeiss is sharper at 1.4 , and slightly easier to focus ..... on the other hand The FLE seems to fit better with the 50 Apo & 24 Elmarit 

This is all subjective of course , my problem is I like both but can only take one ...... Opinions welcome (and yes I know that I should be so lucky)

I'm sorry that you had your camera stolen from your car in 2006 , However Rule Number one ...... Never leave your camera gear in your car without someone watching over it. 

I said holiday ..... for some that is a very different thing to this side of the world , Traveling from Australia to Spain and Italy ... iOS a big deal so the photography is taken seriously ... yes there will be some holiday snaps .... a few.

I have used both and agree with you comments about these two 35mms, in general. If you are taken the other two (50 APO-Summicron and 24 Elmarit ASPH), I would think the Leica lens will be a better fit, specifically for consistent color. But I would not hesitate to take the ZM if I am taking just one lens. 

6 hours ago, frame-it said:

has it actually changed? ;)

Spain in general has changed a lot in that time. I don’t think that the risk is much higher if at all than other touristy areas in large parts of Europe. Anyway, leaving expensive gear in a car is a rather unwise thing to do. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, frame-it said:

has it actually changed? ;)

I don’t usually step in to defend my own country, since I am often very critical of it.  But if you look at the facts, your prejudice or cognitive bias is misleading you. 

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_rankings_current.jsp?region=150

I don’t know where you are from but maybe your part of the world is further up the list. Also to equate Bilbao or Barcelona in terms of crime with the rest of Spain is like saying Italy is unsafe, just take a look at Naples. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2023 at 11:12 AM, Leslie22 said:

I'm packing for an Italy & Spain holiday over Christmas and the new year.

Undecided between the Leica 35 1.4 FLE and the Zeiss 1.4 Dist. I've put to one side the issue of size & weight. 

To my eye the Zeiss is sharper at 1.4 , and slightly easier to focus ..... on the other hand The FLE seems to fit better with the 50 Apo & 24 Elmarit 

This is all subjective of course , my problem is I like both but can only take one ...... Opinions welcome (and yes I know that I should be so lucky)

Gday @Leslie22

IMO if you plan to take 3 lenses *with 50 Apo & 24 Elmarit. Ask yourself this:

Do I like to shoot wide-open f1.4?

Do I get keepers at f1.4?

35 is closer to 50 therefore am I better off with a 2-lens travel kit and done with it?

To add further to your angst ...

A 50 + 24 is s good spread.

Should you decide on a one lens / one camera kit, then IMO the 35 would be a compelling choice.

Finally, this thread is a good read, albeit a film camera & one lens

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply EddieJ

Both lens do 1.4 , so that's not an issue , except to say I find it easier .... more certain focusing the Zeiss.

However the 35 / 50 story I can't agree with. After many years I have found my two most used lens are 50 followed closely by 35. (I also use  24,28,75,90)

I'm happy to go out for a day trip , walk , lunch etc with either 50 or 35. but when traveling they both come. along, one on the camera the other in the bag.

I've grown to consider 35 & 50 as "normal" , or if you like normal wide and normal long.

Obviously we are all different , but that's how I see it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Leslie22 said:

Thanks for your reply EddieJ

Both lens do 1.4 , so that's not an issue , except to say I find it easier .... more certain focusing the Zeiss.

However the 35 / 50 story I can't agree with. After many years I have found my two most used lens are 50 followed closely by 35. (I also use  24,28,75,90)

I'm happy to go out for a day trip , walk , lunch etc with either 50 or 35. but when traveling they both come. along, one on the camera the other in the bag.

I've grown to consider 35 & 50 as "normal" , or if you like normal wide and normal long.

Obviously we are all different , but that's how I see it.

Yes, we are all different and think differently.

If you find it easier to focus then go with the Zeiss.

If you want to keep the entire kit with the Leica brand then complete the trio *M11 + 50 Apo + 35 f1.4 + 28 Elmarit

So you'll have a trio of travel kits

One camera and one lens M11 with 50 [or 35]

2-lens travel kit M11 with 50 + 35 or 28 *swap out to fit your curiosity

3-lens travel kit M11 with 50 + 35 + 28

Done and dusted M11 with 24 + 28 + 75 + 90 [you have a 75 + 90 as well]

Thank you again EddieJ

As it's a once a year at best trip , I'm taking ..... 24 , 28, 35, 50 , 90Macro ... the only question was which 35 , I'm leaning towards the Zeiss ... and it is the focusing and perceived sharpness at 1.4 that make the difference for me. Someone asked do you take many at 1.4 , keepers etc Yes I do.(not obsessed but like 1.4)

• Like 2

I would prefer to take the Zeiss Distagon on a trip. I test-shot a demonstrator Sumillux-M 35mm ASPH FLE, at a Leica dealer, in June 2023. I brought my Distagon, for comparison shots. I preferred the background blur in the Distagon images.

Several years ago, before buying a Distagon, I did all of the internet research that I could, before ordering a pre-owned Distagon. Not only is 35mm useful in urbanized areas, I tend to “see” landscapes at 35mm, so, I wanted a modern 35mm lens with a flat field and high amount of optical correction. I already had an established relationship with Zeiss SLR lenses, and, I think that I may have already acquired a Zeiss Tele Tessar 85mm f/4 ZM, by then, so, adding another ZM lens was not a novel experience, or violating a vow of Leica brand purity.

i do understand the preference for 50mm. My favorite M lens is a Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, the lens that lured me to add the Leica M system. Having an 50mm M lens with notable character, especially when shot wide-open, it seemed sensible that my 35mm f/1.4 lens should have less “character,” and be more-optically-corrected, to complement my Summilux 50, rather than “match” it. Plus, I had the “vintage 35mm” category already covered, by a Leica 3.5cm f/3.5 Summaron.

The size of the Distagon does not bother me. A lens is my “add-on grip,” so, within reason, I like M lenses with some amount of size and heft. (I do have an upper size/weight limit, the APO Summicron 75mm ASPH being about as large as I want to use, when walking about, shooting an M camera hand-held.)

Notably, the Distagon, with its Zeiss T* (T-star) coating, seems quite resistant to flare, even in some brutal conditions of sunlight. The limitations of a travel itinerary can make it impossible to wait for better quality and direction of light. I have never shot a Summilux 35 FLE in harsh light, but my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH and my APO Summicron 75mm ASPH will both flare and ghost, in some conditions.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1