Welcome

jaapv

Hello everyone. I’m Scott, and I want to make a delayed introduction. I joined the forum nearly five (!) years ago, but for some reason was antisocial and never said hello. I’m definitely the friendly type and appreciate all of the great information here. I mostly use my Q2 these days but have some older R kit and a supply of film in the freezer that I tell myself I’m going to shoot again. I look forward to meeting you all. Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!
My name is Jordi, I live on the Costa Brava, in Catalonia.
As a good fan of the brand, if I have any questions I turn to Mr. Google to enlighten me and I almost always end up here.
I currently have a Leica M6 and I couldn't be happier.
Grateful to be part of this forum.
Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm Chris and hope to be a Leica owner soon.  My plan is to get a pre-owned Q2.  Just tired of carrying around my ILS system.  Can't find a lens of the quality and size of the Summilux 28mm f/1.7 to fit my current system.

I'm located in mid-coast Maine, in a rural community about 1-1/2 hrs from Acadia.

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, this is going to be my first post.

My name is David, ever since I was 17 years old, I've harbored a desire for a Leica camera, specifically a Leica M6. I even left myself a note in my bank account to remind me why I was saving money. However, I was never able to afford it back then as the price kept rising, especially since I started living on my own around that age. Now, at 31 years old, I've had a couple of cameras and lenses, nothing too fancy. I began my photography journey with an EOS Rebel G that belonged to my brother, and the most expensive camera I've owned was a second-hand Canon 7D with a Carl Zeiss Zebra lens, which I purchased while studying in China.

Although my current job from 7 to 7 is financially rewarding, I yearned to rediscover the joy of photography, particularly with film, which I've always preferred over digital. So, I decided to buy a more affordable option akin to a Leica  (poor man leica) on the marketplace—a Yashica GSN. It's a great camera, easy to use, and since then (almost 2 months ago), I've been seizing opportunities to purchase bargain film cameras. I've found potential in restoring and cleaning them during my free time after work or on Sundays. Perhaps I could even generate some extra income on the side while expanding my own collection.

In my pursuit, I stumbled upon an incredible deal without even realizing it. Someone was selling a Leica for under 600 USD. The longing for "my precious" resurfaced once more. With less than a day to research and lacking awareness of forums like this one, I took a chance and met the seller in a bar for safety. I admit I was a bit apprehensive; his Facebook profile was only a few days old, and meeting in downtown at night raised some concerns. However, meeting in a public place seemed the safest option.

When he arrived, we had a beer before getting down to business. As he unveiled the camera from his bag, I hesitated to touch it, as I had never handled a Leica before. Following what I had seen on YouTube and Google, I cautiously inspected it. It seemed authentic, although the color gave me a slight pause. It was black, but I knew black Leicas were somewhat rare. Thus, I began to negotiate the price. After some back and forth, we settled on 400 USD. Then, he revealed two more cameras and asked how much I was willing to pay for them. Uncertain of their authenticity, I expressed my willingness to buy them if the price was right. He offered all three for 1,500 USD, and after some negotiation, we agreed on 1,100 USD. We went to an ATM, I withdrew the money, and the deal was done. I left feeling victorious and celebrated with a few more drinks with a colleague from the office who had accompanied me that night.

Upon returning home, I delved into researching my purchases and to my amazement, discovered I had acquired a Leica iA, ii, and iii—two with lenses and one without. The next day, the seller informed me he had more cameras. Gripped by Leica fever, I was eager for more. I mentioned to him that one of the Leica cameras was missing an external viewfinder, and he offered to include it if I bought more from him. So, we met again the same day, and this time, I acquired three Leica iii, three lenses, the iA viewfinder, a parasol for the Summitar lens, a Leicaflex SL, all for 1,100 USD.

He mentioned having two Leica IIIG, but the asking price was 2,000 USD for both, which was beyond my budget. However, he suggested we could negotiate in the future if I was interested. Currently, I possess seven Leica cameras, a prospect I never imagined. I plan to keep i, ii, and iii for my collection, retain an extra iii and the SL for personal use, and sell two iii to recoup some of my expenses.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and a special thanks to the administrators for creating this space for us to share our passion!

Edited by Justanormalphotographer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all - my name is Jed and I'm a Leicaholic! 

I'm also just returning to the forum after a lengthy absence, and I live in the California desert near Palm Springs (actually closer to Coachella where they just had their music festivals).  I just bought a used Q2, which is now my third Leica amid also using the Fuji rangefinder like X-Pro & X-100 line of cameras since they first came out.  My Leicas were an M(240) & the first Q (116).  However, early onset macular degeneration prevented me from being able to manually focus the M(240), so I got the first Q with auto focus shortly after it first came out about a decade ago.  But I missed being able to have some inter-changeable lenses, so went back to a Fuji X-Pro3, which I adapted to use with my Leica lenses, along with adding some of their excellent XF small primes. 

Now at age 83 I find that I no longer do any kind of astro photography, and mainly do landscape, architecture and travel photography, all mostly happening in the 24mm to 75mm focal length spaces.  So after reading the reviews of the Q2 done by Sean Reid and Jono Slack, I decided that when the new Q3 came out I would return to my Leica / Fuji dealer and offer to trade in all my Fuji gear for a used Leica Q2 when he got a really good one in trade from a new Q3 customer.  Took a while but he finally came through with one that looks like new with both a Leica thumb rest and hand grip.  All I had to do was add a new Leica spare battery and I had a complete kit that would easily fit in my Small Billingham camera bag, ending up weighing much less and taking up much less room than all my Fuji gear. 

What could be better than this, and so after attaching my Harry Benz camera strap that I had made for the M(240), I was good to go.  Thus far I also have to say that the raw DNG files are both much better (color range & depths, contrast, sharpness, etc.) than what I got out of the first Q, and also out of my X-Pro and X-100 cameras.  My wife, a museum art docent with a trained eye who sees color before anything else in a painting, tells me that they are a profound improvement over anything done before.  I'm just starting to print images with my Canon Pro-200 printer, and am very pleased with the first batches.

Very sorry for the long-winded explanation of how and why I am back on the Leica user's forum, but very glad for my return and have already found much useful information in the short time since I logged on again.  Thank you all in advance for all the helpful advice and friendly exchanges of information.  Cheers -  Jed

Hello all, I have been lurking for a couple of months learning all I can about Leica. A couple of months ago I bought a Q2 monochrom which I am enjoying immensely. Friday I received a R7 and a summicron 50 which was nice but I was suffering with my third bout of covid and it was lashing down outside so had to wait to test it. Yesterday was fine so I loaded some film and went for a short walk in the sun ( with fleece and woolly hat ). If I can raise the energy I may try and develope the pictures today to see if the bargain R7 actually works.

Regards d

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 7:11 AM, Pericles Lavat said:

Hello, I just joined the forum, I have no idea how it works but sure I will learn. I come from Mexico, love photography and have a Leica Q, thanks for having me in this community.

On 10/15/2023 at 9:10 PM, mrlouie said:

Hello from Long Beach, California.  I just joined since to see about firmware issues with my Q3. I also have a Q2 Monochrom. 

On 10/21/2023 at 3:41 AM, Mobios said:

Hello everyone. I’m Scott, and I want to make a delayed introduction. I joined the forum nearly five (!) years ago, but for some reason was antisocial and never said hello. I’m definitely the friendly type and appreciate all of the great information here. I mostly use my Q2 these days but have some older R kit and a supply of film in the freezer that I tell myself I’m going to shoot again. I look forward to meeting you all. Have a great weekend.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, jordisr said:

Hello!
My name is Jordi, I live on the Costa Brava, in Catalonia.
As a good fan of the brand, if I have any questions I turn to Mr. Google to enlighten me and I almost always end up here.
I currently have a Leica M6 and I couldn't be happier.
Grateful to be part of this forum.
Have a nice day.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, ChrisPer said:

I'm Chris and hope to be a Leica owner soon.  My plan is to get a pre-owned Q2.  Just tired of carrying around my ILS system.  Can't find a lens of the quality and size of the Summilux 28mm f/1.7 to fit my current system.

I'm located in mid-coast Maine, in a rural community about 1-1/2 hrs from Acadia.

Cheers 

On 4/23/2024 at 11:52 PM, Justanormalphotographer said:

Hello everyone, this is going to be my first post.

My name is David,

On 5/2/2024 at 2:05 AM, Jed Orme said:

Hello to all - my name is Jed and I'm a Leicaholic! 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:58 AM, dazb67 said:

Hello all, I have been lurking for a couple of months learning all I can about Leica. 

Regards d

On 5/18/2024 at 2:07 AM, Old_Schooler said:

Hi’ya there from Canada where we have the best breakfast in the world, crispy smoked maple bacon and yummy poutine! 🥓+🍟🧀= 😊

Hi All and welcome

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I have been a keen photographer for many years, or least was until about 8 years ago when I lost my interest. I started photography as a boy with an Ilford Sportsman in the 1960’s and ultimately got some excellent Canon cameras and prime L lenses. I was travelling a lot for business and pleasure, but my true loves were Africa & the Arctic (I live in the UK). I would visit these places when I could. I mostly used Fuji Velvia, Provia and Ilford FP4. As serious digital cameras came along I dived in with a Canon 20D and then a full frame Mk1 5D. 
But soon after I lost my enthusiasm for digital photography. I would be photographing African wildlife and hear digital cameras firing off hundreds of shots presumably in the hope of getting a good one. That didn’t work for me and I lost my love for the art form as everyone dropped film photography. I should add that is a personal view and is not a criticism of anyone. Then I met someone with a Leica collection and talking about their cameras piqued my interest in these beautiful cameras and wonderful lenses.
This meeting rekindled my love of film photography. I now have numerous film cameras, including a beloved M6 Classic with a V4 50mm Summicron lens. I am retired now and no longer travel to remote places, but still love getting out and about with my Leica. I still have many packs of 135 and 120 film in the fridge that of course are well out of date but I fully intend to use them.
Anyway sorry for the long message, and apologies if I have offended anyone.