Leica Q3 Hidden Cost of ownership

Miltz

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

somehow it is not true anymore in 2023

for example Cinebench usually run with 8GB but today the R23 version required 16GB at least. Therefore every MacBook with 8GB cannot run the most famous benchmark after geekbench

PC have now 16GB of RAM at least and it is very inexpensive to add 16 more.

So softwares are getting more RAM hungry. MacOS is not more RAM efficient than windows it was debunked. It is a lie. More RAM is needed. 

So don't be fooled. Buy as much RAM as you can. SSD can be upgraded externally. RAM can't on Macs !! 

8GB M3 is total trash in 2023

Edited by nicci78

Nor can SSD. The external SSD disks are not near the speed of an internal SSD, limited by USB. Anyway 1TB internal suits me fine.

Not to mention the strain on my heart by having to use Windows

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

any external USB-C SSD is fast enough for photo editing and 4K editing. Don't waste your money

I made the mistake to buy a MBP 14'' M1 Pro with 16GB 2TB instead of 32GB and 1TB. I will ever regret this decision. I will have to buy a M3 Max with 48GB at least. 2TB of SSD is totally useless. However I am constantly on yellow zone with 16GB

just take a look at those awesome videos :

https://www.youtube.com/@ArtIsRight  He's been testing Macs and monitors for years. He is a BenQ ambassador for photo and video editing

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Plus Apple need to get dragged into the 21st century and put a touch screen in the MBP.

Not going to happen. They'd need to redesign the entirety of macOS UI from scratch to be touch-friendly instead of mouse friendly. It's a completely different user experience, and it's much easier to sell you an iPad Pro instead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Not going to happen. They'd need to redesign the entirety of macOS UI from scratch to be touch-friendly instead of mouse friendly. It's a completely different user experience, and it's much easier to sell you an iPad Pro instead.

Ex MS Surface Book user here. The touch interface is the thing I miss most about switching my laptop to a MacBook. The Macbook hardware is otherwise much better, but I found Windows 11 with a finger and pen touchscreen to be much faster and more intuitive.

19 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I can just imagine - fingerprints all over the image I am editing. 

For exactly the reason I gave, I still have finger prints all over my screen, 18 months after the switch. It's the most natural way to browse and do simple operations.

57 minutes ago, jaapv said:

But not for memory swap, which this discussion is about. BenQ is about monitors IIRC.

you don't need lots of memory for swap

By the way with 32GB or more you won't need to swap anyway 

And please look at the videos. My experience match with his. LRC needs lots of memory. 8GB is not enough for Q2. 16GB is barely ok. 32GB would be nice. And more will be even better

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Ex MS Surface Book user here. The touch interface is the thing I miss most about switching my laptop to a MacBook. The Macbook hardware is otherwise much better, but I found Windows 11 with a finger and pen touchscreen to be much faster and more intuitive.

I believe you, but touch screen macs go against Apple’s philosophy, which is to have a device really good at something. Having a half baked or so-so user experience is a big no for them. 

Also it won’t be a simple task to redesign the UI of a whole operating system. Even simple things like the “traffic light” scheme at the top left corner of every app and folder would have to be redesigned to be more touch friendly and less prone to accidental finger clicks. 

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I believe you, but touch screen macs go against Apple’s philosophy, which is to have a device really good at something. Having a half baked or so-so user experience is a big no for them. 

Also it won’t be a simple task to redesign the UI of a whole operating system. Even simple things like the “traffic light” scheme at the top left corner of every app and folder would have to be redesigned to be more touch friendly and less prone to accidental finger clicks. 

I suspect Apple's philosophy is that they would rather sell two devices (MacBook and iPad) instead of one. The MS Surface Book has a "really good" interface, not half baked, and I'm sure Apple could match it - if they wanted to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Apple does not seem to have a problem creating touch-screen iOS devices. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I suspect Apple's philosophy is that they would rather sell two devices (MacBook and iPad) instead of one. The MS Surface Book has a "really good" interface, not half baked, and I'm sure Apple could match it - if they wanted to.

Agreed. It's purely a money making exercise. Plenty of us hook up pen enabled tablets and screens aftermarket to our Macs.

*If* the current MS Surface Laptop Studio had even close to the battery life of my M1 Max MBP I'd be back to Windows in an instant. Making fine selections in PS on the SLS is a joy. It's like a baby Cintique. Macs days of being a superior OS for creatives in long over. Ejecting drives? Give me a break! Snapping windows to the side of the screen? Seeing file write speed without a utility add on? Even screen calibration on a modern mini LED Mac is a PITA.

I'm platform agnostic. There's simply no way around the power to battery life ratio that a Silicon MBP has. That's why I use them for my editing. And the *ecosystem* Apple has created is unrivaled. But the Mac OS itself? Frustrating.

Gordon

• Like 1

[Rant]

I have observed the products of Apple since 1980 and have formed the conclusion that, while their hardware design and manufacture is superb, their software is deliberately constructed to prevent the user from interacting intelligently and efficiently with it. The NeXT computer, which was designed by Jobs and which ran on the same Unix core as modern MACs, was a totally different experience. I have both iphone and ipad and use them only for passive actions like reading. Even writing this response on the ipad is hard work for me — e.g. no forward delete! Although there are also M$ products to hate (Skype for one), I have full control over my PC and it does what I want it to do, at lower cost, both to my nerves and to my pocket!

On the other hand, coming to the Leica Q3 from Canon and Sony interfaces is a breath of fresh air. Access to controls is so much more user-friendly.

[/Rant]

David