Leitz Summicron-C 40mm f2 - a little hidden gem appreciation thread

Monochrome_Man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where everything emanates from:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In Antwerp on the M9M.

• Like 5

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

No time to lose with non-Leica glass. If I had 300 years to live, I could spend a few days trying out the Minolta... but not in this world.

The cron is a solid performer. But the framelines problematic is always on the back of my mind, therefore I will always prefer a proper summicron 35mm V2-V3-V4-Asph...

I don't agree there. It is easy enough to compensate mentally for the difference in the frame lines. You have to do so anyway, because of Bildfeldschwund. (i.e. the difference in field of view at various focus distances).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The glass of the M-Rokkor 40mm is the same design as the Summicron-C 40mm. It was a Leitz design team that made it. And the designers were famous. The new design had to be made because of the required film/lens distance: the new camera's had a swinging LDR. 

Minolta improved on the coating in their manufacturing run. From the start Minolta had a better RF coupling mechanism.

"No time to lose with non-Leica glass." ?? It is such a great lens with a nice character: if Leica would re-issue the lens as a redesign, I would go for it. Of all my non-Leica lenses this halfbreed takes up just less than half . . .

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, lct said:

The 39 x 0.75 thread pitch of the Summicron 40/2 was not for filters but for a rubber hood which retained Series 5.5 filters. Now it is possible to use regular 39 x 0.5 filters on it w/o tightening them too much. 

I use Heliopan 39 x 0.75 filters. As you say E39s can be used but I know of one person who tightened it too much and it stuck fast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matlock said:

I use Heliopan 39 x 0.75 filters. As you say E39s can be used but I know of one person who tightened it too much and it stuck fast.

I was not aware of this 39 x 0.75 filter until recently. Does it have an internal filter thread? Just curious as i only use UV/IR filters personally so i use either a Series 5.5 into the rubber hood of the 'cron 40/2 or a regular Leica 39 x 0.5 filter that i don't tighten too much. The Leica filter has an internal thread allowing to screw in the rubber hood very easily (pic). BTW i see that you have an Elmarit-C 40/2.8. Mine does not accept 39 x 0.5 Leica filters at all. 

37 minutes ago, lct said:

I was not aware of this 39 x 0.75 filter until recently. Does it have an internal filter thread? Just curious as i only use UV/IR filters personally so i use either a Series 5.5 into the rubber hood of the 'cron 40/2 or a regular Leica 39 x 0.5 filter that i don't tighten too much. The Leica filter has an internal thread allowing to screw in the rubber hood very easily (pic). BTW i see that you have an Elmarit-C 40/2.8. Mine does not accept 39 x 0.5 Leica filters at all. 

Yes the Helopan filter does have an internal thread and accepts the rubber lens hood. I have the Summicron-C as well and use a Heliopan filter on that also.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On Monochrome:

m-rokkor version

• Like 10

C40 M2 Fuji 200 Florence or Rome I'm not sure 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is easy enough to compensate mentally for the difference in the frame lines. You have to do so anyway, because of Bildfeldschwund. (i.e. the difference in field of view at various focus distances).

Easy for you but not for me. Before the M8.2, i liked much my 40mm lenses with 35mm frame lines, especially those of the R-D1 on digital, as i had not to bother with this Bildfeldschwund thing i suppose. The 35mm frame lines were accurate  at medium to long distance then but since the M8.2 i don't use my 40mm lenses on rangefinders anymore. Too painful for me. YMMV.

Agfa APX 100@400, Kodak D76 1:1 18´, Leica M2, Sechstagerennen, Summicron C40

• Like 10

On 9/15/2021 at 2:51 AM, jaapv said:

I don't agree there. It is easy enough to compensate mentally for the difference in the frame lines. You have to do so anyway, because of Bildfeldschwund. (i.e. the difference in field of view at various focus distances).

I filed the lug on the lens mount of my Rokkor to bring up the 35mm lines on my M8.2. For me the framing is perfect with that camera and the 35mm lines. The M8.2 is kind of an outlier with it's 1.3x sensor, but it works very well for me in that combo. I have not used this lens on my M10 cameras, but I would assume that it would be acceptable.

I wouldn't file the lug on a Leica 40 simply because of what doing so might do to the resale value of the lens. However, I have no qualms about doing so with the Rokkor. Although identical, the Rokkor is much cheaper. Also, my Rokkor is strictly a "user" lens to begin with which was reflected in it's price.

• Like 1

I love using my Rokkor 40:2 (CLE version) 

• Like 6

On 9/15/2021 at 10:08 AM, Matlock said:

Yes the Helopan filter does have an internal thread and accepts the rubber lens hood. I have the Summicron-C as well and use a Heliopan filter on that also.

So just for clarification-- do you know if the Heliopan UV filter has an internal thread pitch of 0.75, or is it 0.5? I would assume, based on the fact that it accepts the rubber hood, that it is 0.75. I just picked one up for my Summicron-C and was hoping for a 0.75 --> 0.5 conversion, but oh well. C'est la vie.

1 minute ago, Brancbūth said:

So just for clarification-- do you know if the Heliopan UV filter has an internal thread pitch of 0.75, or is it 0.5? I would assume, based on the fact that it accepts the rubber hood, that it is 0.75. I just picked one up for my Summicron-C and was hoping for a 0.75 --> 0.5 conversion, but oh well. C'est la vie.

The internal thread is 0.75.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Few shots more, this time from Polish mountains Bieszczady.

Leica m240 | Summicron-C | f/2

• Like 5

Leica m240 | Summicron-C | f/2

Edited by Monochrome_Man
  • Like 2