Leica Q3 Hidden Cost of ownership

Miltz

1 hour ago, Knorp said:

What about other hidden costs like; insurance, an sd card, a filter, a hand grip, a thumb grip, an extra battery, a new bag and last but not least a roll of black gaffer tape ...  🙃

Of course if you want to ‘tart’ up your camera that’s up to you! The camera out of the box plus an SD card is all that is really needed.  🍻

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

48 minutes ago, mmk60 said:

I just picked up a new MBP (M3 Pro, 11/14, 36GB). I knew an upgrade on my computer would be needed for a Q3. A significant upgrade from my very old MBP (2010, 17”, 8 GB Ram, lol).

Good call on going with 36GB, it should help a lot. My memory pressure was yellow all day with 16GB.

Apple Silicon needs a lot of money. I regret buying MBAir 8GB, unusable with Q2 files

Now I got MBP 14'' M1 Pro with 16GB and it is indeed often in yellow zone with Q2 files.

Next step will be a double binned M3 Max MBP 14'' with 64GB of memory. The more RAM the merrier. 

By the way M3 Max is absolutely awesome. in low power mode it is more powerful and more silent than M2 Max at high power mode.... while using less power.

However at high power mode M3 Max will be noisy but it will match M2 Ultra chip. If you let him got more memory

45 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Apple Silicon needs a lot of money. I regret buying MBAir 8GB, unusable with Q2 files

Now I got MBP 14'' M1 Pro with 16GB and it is indeed often in yellow zone with Q2 files.

Next step will be a double binned M3 Max MBP 14'' with 64GB of memory. The more RAM the merrier. 

By the way M3 Max is absolutely awesome. in low power mode it is more powerful and more silent than M2 Max at high power mode.... while using less power.

However at high power mode M3 Max will be noisy but it will match M2 Ultra chip. If you let him got more memory

I can tell you that High Power Mode has zero effect on my M3 Max when it comes to Adobe photo editing. Additionally, even during intense editing sessions the laptop barely gets warm and zero fan noise. You might be fine with 36GB or 48GB, 64GB might be a lot depending on your workflow. Note battery life is slightly lower with the 14" inch model but for me the portability is worth the trade off. 

you need to be plug in for high power mode to be really effective.

M3 Max is the first Apple that are slightly more powerful plug in than on battery. 

It is a good sign. Desktop computer has to be more powerful than laptop. 

Apple silicon made desktop useless, except for Ultra chip

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

you need to be plug in for high power mode to be really effective.

M3 Max is the first Apple that are slightly more powerful plug in than on battery. 

It is a good sign. Desktop computer has to be more powerful than laptop. 

Apple silicon made desktop useless, except for Ultra chip

Your opinion...  🙃 I don't see why a laptop which is made for portability and use on the road should be less powerful than a desktop, nor do I see why I should substitute a desktop by a laptop, having to hook up multiple screens, extra disks, card readers, plugging it in each time I want to use it, unplugging everything when I want to use it as a laptop. My laptop and desktop are identical, making for a most comfortable life

I downloaded a few Q3 files to test That was slow-I'm not on Glassfiber yet.

Open in ACR, instantly. Transferred to PS 2024, instantly. Ran Topaz Photo AI, 19.32  (normally about  10-15) sec. All other edits perfectly normal as well. RAM didn't max out one moment.

Mac Mini 16GB 1TB SSD.  There must have been something wrong with the OP's computer.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:09 AM, Knorp said:

What about other hidden costs like; insurance, an sd card, a filter, a hand grip, a thumb grip, an extra battery, a new bag and last but not least a roll of black gaffer tape ...  🙃

1. I add to my house insurance., its peanuts

2. sd cards are so cheap, anyway I have a curated collection ;)

3. no grips. I like naked, and as small as possible, All I use is a cord wrist strap for safety

4. I havent used up the battery in one day yet. If I do then this seems a reasonable addition

5. I have so many bags. But I will buy a bag honour of my new Q3

6. You forgot screen filter/protector. I have a collection of pretty much every size so already covered

1 hour ago, colonel said:

1. I add to my house insurance., its peanuts

2. sd cards are so cheap, anyway I have a curated collection ;)

3. no grips. I like naked, and as small as possible, All I use is a cord wrist strap for safety

4. I havent used up the battery in one day yet. If I do then this seems a reasonable addition

5. I have so many bags. But I will buy a bag honour of my new Q3

6. You forgot screen filter/protector. I have a collection of pretty much every size so already covered

admittedly it's just small change compared to a new rig, but it adds up nonetheless ... 😉 

Edit: good point adding the essential screen protector

Edited by Knorp

One thing I did learn today is that some plugins eat RAM like crazy. I reinstalled Focus Magic which I did use occasionally.in the past  This time it brought Photoshop to a halt on startup by filling up all RAM. It clearly could not handle Silicon chips. So if you run into trouble check your plugins. I removed PPW at the same time just to be sure Never use it anyway. 

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

Your opinion...  🙃 I don't see why a laptop which is made for portability and use on the road should be less powerful than a desktop, nor do I see why I should substitute a desktop by a laptop, having to hook up multiple screens, extra disks, card readers, plugging it in each time I want to use it, unplugging everything when I want to use it as a laptop. My laptop and desktop are identical, making for a most comfortable life

I plug in ONE thunderbolt cable to hook up my MBP to multiple monitors, readers, printers etc. This also powers and charges the laptop as well. Hardly an issue if the workstation is properly designed.

Gordon

Q3/M11 files are a doodle on my M1 max MBP. Even GFX100II and X2D files load essentially instantly. I figured that if I maxxed out the M1 then I'd skip a couple of generations and that's what's happening. You can get good money for recent MacBooks so it's not really a cost thing. But I don't have the frustration of having to reload every program and plug in every year.

I consider 64GB ram a minimum for a new machine. I'm looking for a few years of use and programs ARE wanting more resources with each new release. YOu might get away with less if you shoot conservatively. I don't.

I have yet to see what benefits an M3 will have besides export speeds over what I have (for stills photography). Ray tracing in the M3 isn't something I need yet. Plus Apple need to get dragged into the 21st century and put a touch screen in the MBP.

Gordon

• Like 1

Yes I have hubs and docking stations as well but sometimes certain appliances won’t work on a secondary USB port etc. I find it more convenient to have a free and a captive computer. The desktops are synchronized. As for RAM Silicon chips need far less than Intel machines did 

If you want to max out in RAM get a 2019 Macpro with 1.5 TB.  😉

• Like 1