Shutter count

davidrc

Leica M camera ?

Not meaning total shutter count.

In M(typ 240) for example, in folder like 101LEICA or 102LEICA, only 9999 files can be recorded in each folder.

Let's assume that each folder uses 9999 files, if we take for example 110LEICA we can assume that the total shutter count can be 10 x 10k = 100k counts.

😉

Anyway with LV this shutter counts "number" means nothing.

10 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Leica M camera ?

In M(typ 240) for example, in folder like 101LEICA or 102LEICA, only 9999 files can be recorded in each folder.

Let's assume that each folder uses 9999 files, if we take for example 110LEICA we can assume that the total shutter count can be 10 x 10k = 100k counts.

😉

With Leica cameras the shutter count is (near) impossible to find as it is in de service menu. It is meaningless  as the  shutter on an M camera actuates multiple times in some settings or not at all in Electronic shutter. The shutter does not wear significantly anyway, and will last at least 300.000 actuations or (far) more except in a rare case that it fails for mechanical reasons like a grain of sand.

You can reset the file number to one or any other number if you so desire.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jaapv said:

With Leica cameras the shutter count is (near) impossible to find as it is in de service menu. It is meaningless  as the  shutter on an M camera actuates multiple times in some settings or not at all in Electronic shutter. The shutter does not wear significantly anyway, and will last at least 300.000 actuations or (far) more except in a rare case that it fails for mechanical reasons like a grain of sand.

You can reset the file number to one or any other number if you so desire.

Thanks Guys, so much to learn, and some of it simple.  The first 3 digits….folder!  Doh.   My CL is well under then. 😉

All good to know.

You can change the starting letter and first digits by formatting the card, then shooting one shot. Then change the name of the folder from e.g. L100 to C222 on your computer.
Re-insert the card, and your next shot will be named C2220001

Makes it easier to avoid file name conflicts if you have more than one Leica body.

Edited by dpitt

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:40 PM, a.noctilux said:

Leica M camera ?

😉

Hi,

somewhat confused…..

The CL produced a folder which read, L105…… recording, L1050897, during the walk today that went up to 1051000.

At which point without removing the card, I found later that at that point it had created a new folder on the card,

named L106, producing 1060001….and adding on thereafter.

I may be wrong, but that is not following your theory as it changed at 1000…oddly making a new folder in the process.

Is this usual?

i’ve never known that with any other camera (other than using the card between two cameras, a folder was added for say a fuji camera when I shop tested a nikon..same card)

Edited by davidrc
Addition

5 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Sorry I don't know for CL, I never have one.

In my example, it was for M(typ 240).

So different things.

What is in the CL's user manual ?

I see.  Will have to delve into it on line…I don’t recall flicking thro it.

It would make sense if it went up to 999.  A new folder would have to be added.

New things, every day is a school day.

41 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Sorry I don't know for CL, I never have one.

In my example, it was for M(typ 240).

So different things.

What is in the CL's user manual ?

Well, it’s in there….and long winded. And of course…right at the end!  9999 just the same, so I don’t know what mine is doing…

may be it doesn’t like Lexar. 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!