Any comments on using the M 21mm Summilux on an SL body?

algrove

these lenses could not be any different.

the Summilux wide open has some glow, by closing down very sharp in the center, and progressively improves to the corners. Same for vignetting.

The Summicron Sl is detailed and in focus across the frame at f2. The SL lenses are corrected at the highest level.

I like the Summilux for the image characteristics, and when I need quality across the frame I will go to f4-8.

7 hours ago, Photoworks said:

these lenses could not be any different.

the Summilux wide open has some glow, by closing down very sharp in the center, and progressively improves to the corners. Same for vignetting.

The Summicron Sl is detailed and in focus across the frame at f2. The SL lenses are corrected at the highest level.

I like the Summilux for the image characteristics, and when I need quality across the frame I will go to f4-8.

+1. Plus weather sealing, af and, in particular for me, short focus distance.

I love my 21 Super Elmar, it has produced some very nice images on all my SL bodies and of course M cameras. I know the APO 21 SL Summicron will be hell good, like all the other APO SL Summicrons but as I shoot a lot of street with the 21, the SL Lens is completely ruled out. I used the 21 Summilux M lens about ten years ago and thought it was a fine lens mounted on the M9M but I didnt have the same appreciation of Leica glass as I do now. I like the way you are researching the Summilux M Lens to be used on the SL bodies Algrove. Like you I have been doing my research with the 28 Summilux 1.4 M lens for SL2 and SL2S and M10M recently. I managed to I place a deposit on it yesterday after several months. 

This image taken with SL2S with 21 Super Elmar could have had more lens correction in post (perspective) but I preferred the keystone effect here. Apparently the new 21 APO SL Summicron does away with barrel distortion which I find quite amazing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

On 11/1/2023 at 11:54 AM, algrove said:

I do want to have a 21mm for use on my SL2S, but before buying the new APO 21 SL lens I would like to hear if any of you have successfully tried the M 21mm lux on your SL body. 

What is your take on the quality of files with this lens on your SL?

I just posted some pics in the M lens section. I think it's a great lens and pairs really well with the SL platform.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/4/2023 at 4:50 AM, Ken Abrahams said:

I love my 21 Super Elmar, it has produced some very nice images on all my SL bodies and of course M cameras. I know the APO 21 SL Summicron will be hell good, like all the other APO SL Summicrons but as I shoot a lot of street with the 21, the SL Lens is completely ruled out. I used the 21 Summilux M lens about ten years ago and thought it was a fine lens mounted on the M9M but I didnt have the same appreciation of Leica glass as I do now. I like the way you are researching the Summilux M Lens to be used on the SL bodies Algrove. Like you I have been doing my research with the 28 Summilux 1.4 M lens for SL2 and SL2S and M10M recently. I managed to I place a deposit on it yesterday after several months. 

This image taken with SL2S with 21 Super Elmar could have had more lens correction in post (perspective) but I preferred the keystone effect here. Apparently the new 21 APO SL Summicron does away with barrel distortion which I find quite amazing. 

I guess one could call the 21 lux a wide angle Noctilux. It does have a dreamy look at times. I owned one back in the M9 days too and almost wish I had kept as today I enjoy lenses with character over sharpness at times especially when using my M's. Many like the 0.95 on the SL and I will have to work at that as it takes a special experience to get it right, at least for me. That SL EVF is terrific for getting focus right if all parties are not moving with the 0.95 or moving in sync.

Good luck with that 28/1.4 and want to hear from you your experience with that lens on your SL system.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 3:11 AM, helged said:

+1. Plus weather sealing, af and, in particular for me, short focus distance.

As I find myself shooting in dust storms and/or constantly blowing wind in sandy environs the SL system with SL lenses is preferred. Even though I own M glass that could work it can cause havoc in the environments I mention.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, algrove said:

I guess one could call the 21 lux a wide angle Noctilux. It does have a dreamy look at times. I owned one back in the M9 days too and almost wish I had kept as today I enjoy lenses with character over sharpness at times especially when using my M's. Many like the 0.95 on the SL and I will have to work at that as it takes a special experience to get it right, at least for me. That SL EVF is terrific for getting focus right if all parties are not moving with the 0.95 or moving in sync.

Good luck with that 28/1.4 and want to hear from you your experience with that lens on your SL system.

Thanks Algrove

Yes thats a proper photographer, the one who works toward developing and using that "special experience". Becoming skilled with all the nuances takes a few years or decades maybe. Maybe it's an ongoing series of discoveries that we are drawn to. To produce the best images while expressing some part of ourselves.

The 28 Summilux has exceeded all my expectations Algrove. Admitting I am still settling in "with her" but what an extraordinary lens it is. My friend wondered about Leica lens names, their meanings. Summilux - Summit meaning "highest point" and Lux means "light".   He has a very wide collection of S and SL and Zeiss lenses including SL ApO Summicrons and mentioned that my 28 M 1.4 lens is better (sharper and bokeh qualities) than any lens in his kit. I understand how you refer to getting focus right. Another photographer developed a system to step back "one step" with a certain lens because he knows it will be dead sharp in that zone.

I sometimes move my head back and forward with portraits when using rangefinder. It gives critical focus a real chance. Anyway as much as I love the special qualities of the SL APO lenses, I am very glad to have bought the 28 M Summilux Asph. Remarkable indeed.

Ken       

• Like 1

11 hours ago, algrove said:

Ken

Are you then happy using your 28/1.4 on an SL? No real issues with corner blurring, etc?

Hi Algrove

Still testing in different conditions and settings. A couple of my images were blurry today but it was user error and focus. I need to remember the lens wont focus by hitting the back button.   

Some images today where I stopped down a little compared to wide open Street shots do not show any blur in corners. Seems to be all good. There was some vignetting mainly in the blue skies, nothing drastic.  

These two images are extreme left lower corners and I cant see it. 

Edited by Ken Abrahams
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, algrove said:

Ken

Are you then happy using your 28/1.4 on an SL? No real issues with corner blurring, etc?

You get the same quality on the SL2 that you get from an M11 with the Summilux M 28

I love this lens for the look and sharpness, wide open it has character and is dreamy.

At 1.4 it is not as sharp to the corner as it is best in the center. Comparing images to the q2 Summilux, the q2 is sharp and detailed at 1.7. Much more than the Summilux M.

Stepping down one or 2 stops you get incredible details. Of the M lenses 28mm the Summilux is the best.

I don't have the 28 SL APO, but I find the other SL APO lenses perfect, and hard to get a dreamy look out of them. I use for this reason many M lenses on the SL.

• Like 2