Leica Q3 - A terrible admission

Corius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Corius said:

I'm really sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. I love my Q3!

Well spoken! That said, I suspect that you might have felt even better posting the thoughts in this thread; and might even have succeeded in cutting a long discussion short: 

(PS: Enjoy your Q3)

18 hours ago, Corius said:

I'm really sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. I love my Q3!

I love the 28mm lens. I don't care if it's 24mm, 25mm or 29mm or if it's a mixture of glass and processing, That's totally irrelevant, it's the end product that counts

I love the photos. More importantly my wife, who doesn't know the difference between a Leica and a llama, loves the photos too, and ultimately she holds the purse strings! (emotional blackmail is a terrible thing).

I love the AF. I use it for the purposes for with the Q3 is intended. You want an eye shot of a diving falcon at 500m? ... don't buy a Q3.

I love f1.7....beautiful portraits and bokeh

I love the macro. A whole new world of subjects to photo.

I love the Leica Q3 half case, round lens hood, and wireless grip/charger. Great quality. For god's sake it takes 5 secs to unscrew the cases/grips! If this is too long for you, seek therapy!

I love the Fotos app on my iPhone. Very fast and reliable for DNG and JPEG. Much better that the Q2.

I love the digital crop, even at 90mm it's more than useable. I still love my Nikon Coolpix 950 family photos from 2000 at 2MP. Pixel peepers have no heart or soul! It's memories that matter!

I love the battery life. No problems at all for me so far. I might buy a second battery when I go on holiday. Not exactly an earth shattering problem.

I don't care tuppence if it takes a few secs to start up and then won't focus on a wombat's butt at 200m. It's a Leica, not a CanNikoSony. I've had them, great electronics, pants experience!

There, I feel better for admitting my failings!

Please forgive me!

Totally forgiven ...

I love it, too and I love f/1.7.  Recently I discovered... I love f/5.6 and f/8 as well.  I used to pretty much shoot everything wide open (not talking about zone focusing here) but started using f/5.6 and f/8 for more of my monochrome conversions that weren't portraits and the images are just stunning.  Try the aperture ring sometime, it can be fun ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think of the Q3 as a Ferrari. Very expensive, technically flawed (especially for the asking price), some quirky solutions to problems that other brands have solved way better but boy when it delivers then the heaven gates open 😃.

Oh, and it also holds value way better than the other brands, despite of all the alleged drawbacks 😉

• Thanks 1

I'm still holding my breath that we may see a Q with a 40-50mm lens.  It's where I live and I'm constantly cropping my Q images.  Not saying that I don't use 28mm, but a Q28 and Q40-50 in my bag would be enough for me to leave my SL2-S system and lenses at home 90% of the time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Wien said:

And would you be happy to spend 12,000 for that privilege?

David

Do you know something we don't?  Or are you just saying that the two Q bodies would cost around that figure?  

Edited by Dr. G

3 minutes ago, David Wien said:

A new Q3 costs 6k. If used, even more at present.

David

Correct.  I already have a Q3, I would be looking to add the Q body with the 40-50mm lens if's released.  Honestly, though, over time the Q3 won't cost that much to own if I ever decide to sell it and my APO lenses for my SL2-S were all purchased preowned so if I ever decide to sell them they will pretty much have been free to own.  I kind of try to do the same with cars ;)