Leica introduces Leica Sofort 2

LarsOtium

46 minutes ago, FusionX.Photo said:

Velcro ?

In seriousness though, I think the ability to print my M10 shots on an instax printer is neat. 

Meta statement: I know it shares a focal length with the Q2/Q3, but I feel like the Sofort deserves its own place in the forum. 

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Bear said:

But does it connect to Leica Fotos? 

Yes, supposedly - has bluetooth connectivity.

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

You could save even more by buying the Instax Mini Evo, which is 100% the same camera minus the red dot and inflated price.

https://www.instax.ie/cameras/mini-evo/

Forget the red dot - the entire camera is available in red. ;) And has a film-advance lever to trigger advancing the film sheet to the print/output stage. ;);) 

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5551757842/leica-announces-sofort-2-instant-camera-instax

The biggest change with the Sofort 2 is the addition of internal memory (support for up to 45 images), a micro SD card slot for memory extension (a 1GB microSD allows for 850 images Leica says) and Bluetooth support. The latter of which was likely done in service of giving the camera access to Leica's Fotos smartphone app. With the Leica Fotos app, users can send 800x600 pixel digital images to a phone for saving or sharing. The app can also be used to send any image in a smartphone's camera library to the Sofort 2 for printing.

1 minute ago, adan said:

Yes, supposedly - has bluetooth connectivity.

I was responding to Simone's suggestion to use an Instax  Mini Evo for less cost - but IUUC, the Mini Evo doesn't connect to the Leica App. 

In general, I have no issue with the pricing of the Sofort 2 relative to the Mini Evo - from my perspective it seems like a fair price, all things considered in Leica land. I'm in for a white one 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bear said:

Unlikely. It connects to the dedicated Instax app though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Simone_DF

39 minutes ago, adan said:

Forget the red dot - the entire camera is available in red. ;) And has a film-advance lever to trigger advancing the film sheet to the print/output stage. ;);) 

Same as the Fuji Mini Evo. Because the Leica is just a Fuji Mini Evo with a different outer shell at 2x the price.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bear said:

I was responding to Simone's suggestion to use an Instax  Mini Evo for less cost - but IUUC, the Mini Evo doesn't connect to the Leica App. 

In general, I have no issue with the pricing of the Sofort 2 relative to the Mini Evo - from my perspective it seems like a fair price, all things considered in Leica land. I'm in for a white one 😄

So you are ok to pay an extra 190€ to have it in white and to use the terrible Leica Fotos?

It's Leica that should pay us 190€ to use that clunky app.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Simone_DF said:

So you are ok to pay an extra 190€ to have it in white and to use the terrible Leica Fotos?

It's Leica that should pay us 190€ to use that clunky app.

We may have vastly different experiences, but the Fujifilm app was absolute hot steaming garbage for me. I find the Leica Fotos app very reliable. And yes seeing as the Mini Evo doesn't connect to Leica Fotos, I am fine with the price to connect with the app that is part of my current ecosystem. 

@Leon_B. could you perhaps merge this thread with the newly created one.

• Like 1

Yup, I’m absolutely fine with the price discrepancy over the Fuji mini eco; the Sofort2 feature that allows it to connect directly to the Fotos device makes it exactly what I’ve been looking for as a portable printer on the street for my M.  Actually already ordered a Sofort2 in red.

• Like 3

The Fujifilm app, as used with their X series cameras, is not the same as the Instax app used with the Mini Evo. My experience with the Instax app and my Mini Evo has been fine.

Also, they recently released a rewritten X series app that seems quite improved in my (limited) experience.

I haven’t used the Leica Fotos app (I only shoot film Leicas), so can’t make a comparison.

• Like 3

Am I understanding this correctly - an image shot on an M-10 can be printed on the Sofort via Leica Fotos? If so doe that hold true for the CL and SL2?

I am very tempted with this toy but wonder what the image quality is like. I suspect I'll be ordering one regardless. They look fun. 

1 hour ago, GFW2-SCUSA said:

Am I understanding this correctly - an image shot on an M-10 can be printed on the Sofort via Leica Fotos? If so doe that hold true for the CL and SL2?

Yes, that is my understanding, and that’s what Leica is saying as well.

Edited by RMF

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Bear:

The camera can be connected to the Photos app. So you can "print" not only photos taken with the camera, but all photos that are on the phone or iPad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GFW2-SCUSA said:

Correct. If your camera can connect to Leica Fotos, then it can also print via the Sofort. But this is true regardless of brands. You can print any image on your smartphone library with both the Sofort and the Fujis. 
Fuji sells a dedicated Instax printer too, in both Instax Mini and Instax Square formats, and are much cheaper, at about 100-130€ depending on the model. 
If you want to go even bigger, Polaroid has also a portable printer, but it’s clunky. 

11 hours ago, Bear said:

We may have vastly different experiences, but the Fujifilm app was absolute hot steaming garbage for me. I find the Leica Fotos app very reliable. And yes seeing as the Mini Evo doesn't connect to Leica Fotos, I am fine with the price to connect with the app that is part of my current ecosystem. 

@Leon_B. could you perhaps merge this thread with the newly created one.

Fair enough, but FYI the Instax app is not the same Fuji app. It looks very sleek.