Sigma 70-200 f2.8 L-mount - comming in December

profus

• 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived this morning, only played with it for ten minutes with the dogs playing in the field, but on the S52 it is by far the best tracking experience I've had with L mount lenses (and bodies).  Lots to explore with it yet, but first impressions always count for me.  It also doesn't feel as heavy as I expected, I know numbers don't lie, but it's very manageable.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Am 8.12.2023 um 12:38 schrieb Boojay:

Mine arrived this morning, only played with it for ten minutes with the dogs playing in the field, but on the S52 it is by far the best tracking experience I've had with L mount lenses (and bodies).  Lots to explore with it yet, but first impressions always count for me.  It also doesn't feel as heavy as I expected, I know numbers don't lie, but it's very manageable.

A shot question: From what material are the three rings? Are they rubber or are they pure plastic. (At a C-Serien lens, the meter/feet ring was made out of plasic and doesn't feel well).

And how do you like now? 

6 hours ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

A shot question: From what material are the three rings? Are they rubber or are they pure plastic. (At a C-Serien lens, the meter/feet ring was made out of plasic and doesn't feel well).

And how do you like now? 

From Sigma..

Sigma uses a variety of materials in the design of the lens body and hood, including magnesium, carbon fiber reinforced plastics, and “thermally stable composite” (a high end engineered plastic that has an excellent thermal expansion rate).

The zoom ring and focus ring have a rubberised finish, the aperture ring is not rubberised.  It feels like a very well manufactured lens with a professional finish, balances well in use because of its internal zoom.

I'm very happy with the performance and image quality from the lens.  Lots of samples in my flickr stream, including some with the 1.4 Sigma TC added https://www.flickr.com/photos/jayneboo/.  I've also used the lens at a couple of XC events and been pleased with the results, it's a nice addition for L mount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Boojay:

From Sigma..

Sigma uses a variety of materials in the design of the lens body and hood, including magnesium, carbon fiber reinforced plastics, and “thermally stable composite” (a high end engineered plastic that has an excellent thermal expansion rate).

The zoom ring and focus ring have a rubberised finish, the aperture ring is not rubberised.  It feels like a very well manufactured lens with a professional finish, balances well in use because of its internal zoom.

I'm very happy with the performance and image quality from the lens.  Lots of samples in my flickr stream, including some with the 1.4 Sigma TC added https://www.flickr.com/photos/jayneboo/.  I've also used the lens at a couple of XC events and been pleased with the results, it's a nice addition for L mount.

Thanks für the reply. The picture look very good - and the TC1.4 is better than expected. 

Greeting to the three Santas - a hard training is important in these days  to deliver all the gifts  in time :) 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would anyone offer comparison between the sigma vs Panasonic s pro versions? How do they compare/perform for action, low low light, and used with teleconverters?

I have not found any review comparing these lenses in the L-mount version.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IvanC said:

Would anyone offer comparison between the sigma vs Panasonic s pro versions? How do they compare/perform for action, low low light, and used with teleconverters?

I have not found any review comparing these lenses in the L-mount version.

I haven't seen any direct comparisons, other than the odd statement, like below from Petapixel:

Where I think the new Sigma makes the most sense is in Panasonic’s L-Mount. The Sigma is lighter and smaller than the $2,097 Panasonic Lumix S Pro 70-200mm f/2.8 with the same excellent video shooting benefits. It’s also substantially less money and I feel that it delivers better optical performance too.

And this reviewer feels the Sigma is the better performer.

Maybe someone will do a direct side by side shoot at some point.  I'm very happy with the Sigma.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 8:49 AM, Boojay said:

I haven't seen any direct comparisons, other than the odd statement, like below from Petapixel:

Where I think the new Sigma makes the most sense is in Panasonic’s L-Mount. The Sigma is lighter and smaller than the $2,097 Panasonic Lumix S Pro 70-200mm f/2.8 with the same excellent video shooting benefits. It’s also substantially less money and I feel that it delivers better optical performance too.

And this reviewer feels the Sigma is the better performer.

Maybe someone will do a direct side by side shoot at some point.  I'm very happy with the Sigma.

How does it compare with the 70-300 and in particular when used with the TC?

I do like my 70-300, so easy to just bung in my sling bag and not really notice wheres another half a kilo?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, huwm said:

How does it compare with the 70-300 and in particular when used with the TC?

I do like my 70-300, so easy to just bung in my sling bag and not really notice wheres another half a kilo?

Well from the images with the 1.4 TC it's ahead of (my copy) the 70-300 wide open for sharpness, and has a nicer falloff.   I have noticed no AF slow down when using the TC and no loss of sharpness.  I hadn't actually compared the two side by side before your question but having just taken a few images outdoors the Sigma + TC is definitely the sharper lens at the long end, though of course with the TC it's 280mm compared to 300mm.  It will be rare for me though to use the lens with the TC, it's not what I bought it for, just a bonus to be able to use it occasionally. 

Doesn't make the 70-300 the wrong choice for many scenarios but I have a need/use for the faster lens and am very happy to have added it.

Just a quick comparison shot... cold grey and wet outdoors so was quickly done, I took one shot with the Sigma, which looked fine but I tried 3 or 4 shots on the Panasonic, this was the best.. same settings in as much as they were both wide open so F4 versus f5.6 (nothing added in post) other than cropped in.

Sigma + TC

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pan at 300mm

The Panasonic shot looks a little to be suffering from camera shake, both had image stabilisation on so shouldn't have been an issue.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I hd the chance to test the new Sigma. Sharpness,m stabi and bokeh a very well. But I make some negative experiences: The biggest is, that theres is a fine but loud sound come from the stabilisation and - so Sigma - from the new motor. They are always on to get a quicker AF, but I had the feeling that I have a tinnitus. It stops when you press the realse knob half way. The sencond: It is not well balanced when you use the zoomring - the best balanced position is at the focusring. And the third: My 601 hast probems  with the AF. A couple of pictures are unsharp or have a frontfocus at 200mm.

• Like 2

Hi folks, a little addendum. I testes the lens a second time todday after talking to the dealer. He made the suggestion to sent it to Sigma for a check. Meanwhile I found a similar reaction at reddit from a Sony-Sigma. So I snt it back and will wait till something new comes to the market.

Ma test today was the same. Many photos from 170-20o mm were out of focus. With other lenes they were all tac sharp. I hope it was only my copy. But the loud sound seems to be "normal".

When all is perfect the photos are very good. The next days I will post here some of the "well done" (first I have to repair my photworkstation PC :) )

• Thanks 1

Here are some Examples, all out 200 mm at 2,8 with SL 601.

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

And here you can see the Problem at 200mm. At about 170mm the pictures become sharp. I hope that only my copy has thie problem. All 5 shot were made with single shot AF. Never seen with other lenses and they were up to F/1,4

On 1/30/2024 at 5:51 PM, TeleElmar135mm said:

And here you can see the Problem at 200mm. At about 170mm the pictures become sharp. I hope that only my copy has thie problem. All 5 shot were made with single shot AF. Never seen with other lenses and they were up to F/1,4

Strange. The only difference between the images are zooming from 200mm (first image) to 160-170mm (last image)? No change of focus by you between the images? Just curious, trying to understand what's going on. 

Edited by helged

On 1/30/2024 at 5:51 PM, TeleElmar135mm said:

Very strange. This is either a user error or some issues with your lens. Sigma would never offer a lens with so poor performance. If the problem is your copy, Sigma quality control has not had a good day at work.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb helged:

Strange. The only difference between the images are zooming from 200mm (first image) to 160-170mm (last image)? No change of focus by you between the images? Just curious, trying to understand what's going on. 

HI,

I didn't post a 160 or 170mm image because they are ok.. The 5 from the church clock are in 100% but all at 200mm. Between the images (single shot) there is a new AF mesurement. A couple of years I had a similar problem with a Sony 70-300. One copy could not focus at 70mm the other at 200mm.

A Panasonic 70-200 f/4 I tested after was ok. No Problem at 200mm, also not with Leica lens before and after-

• Thanks 1