No more love for the 24-90?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, _Olivier said:

I absolutely love my 24-90. I use my SL2 for travel, and take the 3 zooms with me that cover all focal lengths from 16mm to 280mm, but probably 60 to 70% of my photos end up being made with the 24-90. Most of these are 24-90: https://www.olivierdesmet.com/in-praise-of-stillness

Some cracking shots there, illustrating the concept of your project nicely. Enjoyed seeing them, thanks 👍

• Like 2

The problem with the lens is that it is so good that there can be little need to fiddle around, changing lenses, at least at 24 Mpx.  The Summicrons are, however, slightly better (produce an even cleaner picture) and the 50mm Summilux has a distinctive character.  Its downside is its ridiculous bulk (which prevented me from buying one for 6m, using M lenses instead, until I tried it and caved immediately).

• Like 4

On 9/25/2023 at 7:12 PM, _Olivier said:

I absolutely love my 24-90. I use my SL2 for travel, and take the 3 zooms with me that cover all focal lengths from 16mm to 280mm, but probably 60 to 70% of my photos end up being made with the 24-90. Most of these are 24-90: https://www.olivierdesmet.com/in-praise-of-stillness

I’ll second everyone’s comments re @_Olivier’s lovely work - also the comments re how good the 24-90 is.  Although I’ve swung back to M10-r + 35 Summicron Asph & Zeiss 90 f4 for recent travel work, for any events, performance work etc., I’m back with SL2 + the two SL zooms.  The only problem with the 24-90 is that it’s so predictably and almost boringly outstandingly good!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:10 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

In another thread I talked about my desire for a native lens and why I sold it. To me, the SL should be for what the M can’t, so (tele)zooms should be a strength next to my m-lenses.

Leica managed to do with its lenses what it did with the body: almost every potential buyer is asking him/herself: do I need resolution (sl2) or do I need light (2s). With the lenses the question: do I need range or do I need light/narrow focus.

To me light was more important than resolution, so I went with the 2s, regarding standard zoom my mind is not yet made up due to difference in price.

But one thing I notice, I don’t really see much love for the 24-90. The 90-280 is actively shown on this forum, the standard zoom not. Not much love. Why is that?

I have a pile of M, S and SL bodies and lenses, my 1-camera + 1-lens to travel the world is the SL* with the 24-90. To me, this lens is the backbone of the SL system. I’ve lugged it across many countries and continents, it always delivers irrespective of weather and situation. 

Yes, huge and heavy - but the convenience offsets the burdens. It's a slight irritation to change lenses for me, and this lens replaces 24-28-35-50-75-90 mm. And yes, slower apertures than the M cousins but the weather sealing and stabilization make up for it.

If the SL3 gets the AF updates from the Panasonic, this lens may be in more demand. 

• Like 11

On 9/24/2023 at 3:00 PM, Planetwide said:

Arguably the best midrange zoom ever made by any manufacturer.

This. Owned it, used it heavily for two years, sold it. A couple of takeaways:

The 24-90 is the sharpest standard zoom ever built. 

It's the heaviest.

It has walk-around creep. It zooms out when carrying the camera using a strap.

It shows a tremendous dimensionality. Too much when shooting people—for me. Totally subjective. (When mixing portraits with graphics and letterings a flatter rendering looks much better.)

The built quality is Leica.

AF is quick.

Colour is super-neutral. I’d like to have my lenses on the cooler side. 

Ridiculously flare-resistant. I like nice flares, consider them as an essential feature.

I let it go because I figured that I didn't want to follow that convenient zoom/digital path anymore but rather defaulted to two film-Ms and 35mm primes. I still own the SL2-S and use it for video and still shoots that require a fast turnaround and gain from a higher frequency. For that, I own a R-primes set.

If I were in the market for a standard zoom I’d buy it back in a heartbeat. 

• Like 4

Leica SL & 24-90mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 10/2/2023 at 4:52 PM, Jeff S said:

Never experienced this issue with mine. 

Jeff

I don't use mine as a walk-around lens, but when held downwards mine creeps. I use it for scanning 4x5 negatives: fortunately I only need to set it at 90 to fill the frame with the negative.

Edited by LocalHero1953

54 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I don't use mine as a walk-around lens, but when held downwards mine creeps. I use it for scanning 4x5 negatives: fortunately I only need to set it at 90 to fill the frame with the negative.

Mine is totally stable, even after a vigorous hike (with lens pointing down from my hip).  Otherwise, I’d have replaced it.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

18 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Mine is totally stable, even after a vigorous hike.  Otherwise, I’d have replaced it.

Jeff

Hiking with the SL and that lens slung from me has just never occurred to me😉. Respect!
When I use it, it is continuously in my hands and being adjusted - creep has no chance of manifesting. 

9 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Hiking with the SL and that lens slung from me has just never occurred to me😉. Respect!
When I use it, it is continuously in my hands and being adjusted - creep has no chance of manifesting. 

Cross-body using Peak Design Leash, with one anchor on strap lug and one on small PD base plate.  Reasonably comfortable; short hikes only, usually preceded by car trip. For long days, M kit only.

Jeff

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Cross-body using Peak Design Leash, with one anchor on strap lug and one on small PD base plate.

This is how I carry my 24-90 and I also find it very comfortable. The lens hangs down over my right hip and I regularly do 10-20km landscape/cityscape walks like this - when the walk is photography-centric and I don't have too much else to carry. It's a fabulous lens and the best solution for shooting in the Finnish winter where lens changes in winter storms (with gloved hands) is not ideal.

I do get lens creep, seems also to be exaggerated depending how the lens brushes my hip when I walk. Doesn't really bother me - I often take my first shot at 90mm (so it has crept to where I need it) and my right hand developed a habit of 'uncreeping' the lens from time to time. 

• Like 1

So, I received the lens. First impressions:

1. Heavy as expected, about 1kg, about the same as my pana 70-200 or cz135 apo, no surprise here.

2. Ugly lenshood, same as my 35apo, no surprise here either.

3. The size. Here there is a surprise, and a positive one: it is much smaller than expected, I don’t even have to buy another bag. It’s slightly bigger than a SL apo prime.

4. As I didn’t photograph with it, I don’t have any impressions about usage and rendering.

• Like 3

I didn't see anyone mention (maybe I missed it) the bokeh from this lens which is outstanding like the 90-280 ish with beautiful color and contrast. 24-90mm's are just a really lovely FL's to cover while traveling, touring, hiking, landscape or really...Whatever.

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday the first real outing with the 24-90. On the 2s, and the only combo I had with me.  I must admit I am happy with the results. 

• Like 13

A couple from me.

This one on my SL

This one on my SL2

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 15