Panasonic S5 or........?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I recently sold all my M43 gear and purchased a Leica CL which I love for it's simplicity to use and IQ. I have the Leica TL18mm and TL 18-56 lens and a Sigma DC 30mm for automatic focus, and 3 M mount lenses for manual use. Small and compact system.

I'm now considering adding one of the few L mount full frame cameras available, but my budget will only allow me to buy second hand. Looking at Panasonic L mount and the S5, S5 II, or even the S1 in particular. And am aware of the weight penalty the S1 would bring.

I considered some of the Sony, Canon , Nikon cameras, but really want to stick to L mount so I can utilize the 2 Voigtlander and 1 Minolta M mount lenses I own. I know I could adapt to other brands, but don't want that.

Does the Panny S series play well with M mount lenses? That is my biggest concern. My focal range (full frame equivalent) I own so far are the Voigtlander 28 Ultron f2 II,  Minolta M Rokkar 40mm f2 and the Voigtlander APO Skopar 90mm f2.8. Would love to use these on a full range camera. If I add a Full Frame camera, will purchase  35 and 50mm lenses down the road.

And absolutely have no interest in video work, stills only.

Any thoughts?

Edited by soundfanz
info added

I have both an S5 and an S1.  They both play well enough with rangefinder lenses.  I use mine primarily with R lenses, but both my M lenses and my Canon LTM glass do fine in the "real world."   The issues described by pixel peepers are so minor as to be all but irrelevant in real world shooting.   The bottom line is that your work will be just fine with an S5 and M-mount glass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soundfanz said:

Hi everyone,

I recently sold all my M43 gear and purchased a Leica CL which I love for it's simplicity to use and IQ. I have the Leica TL18mm and TL 18-56 lens and a Sigma DC 30mm for automatic focus, and 3 M mount lenses for manual use. Small and compact system.

I'm now considering adding one of the few L mount full frame cameras available, but my budget will only allow me to buy second hand. Looking at Panasonic L mount and the S5, S5 II, or even the S1 in particular. And am aware of the weight penalty the S1 would bring.

I considered some of the Sony, Canon , Nikon cameras, but really want to stick to L mount so I can utilize the 2 Voigtlander and 1 Minolta M mount lenses I own. I know I could adapt to other brands, but don't want that.

Does the Panny S series play well with M mount lenses? That is my biggest concern. My focal range (full frame equivalent) I own so far are the Voigtlander 28 Ultron f2 II,  Minolta M Rokkar 40mm f2 and the Voigtlander APO Skopar 90mm f2.8. Would love to use these on a full range camera. If I add a Full Frame camera, will purchase  35 and 50mm lenses down the road.

And absolutely have no interest in video work, stills only.

Any thoughts?

My advice would be to buy a used S5 or S5II if you can find one, from a dealer with a reasonable return policy, and test for yourself.  I have the S5II and occasionally use it with M lenses, have both the Voigtlander lenses you mention and find IQ from them acceptable for me, others opinions may vary.

No idea where you are but if you are anywhere near me you'd be welcome to test with mine🙂.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boojay said:

My advice would be to buy a used S5 or S5II if you can find one, from a dealer with a reasonable return policy, and test for yourself.  I have the S5II and occasionally use it with M lenses, have both the Voigtlander lenses you mention and find IQ from them acceptable for me, others opinions may vary.

No idea where you are but if you are anywhere near me you'd be welcome to test with mine🙂.

Lol. Will have to edit my profile. I'm in Queensland Australia, but thanks for offer.