New: Leica Q3 with 60 MP BSI Sensor

My Q2 Reporter went off to mpb today to make way for a Q3. Went on a pre-order list yesterday. Hope its days/weeks not months before I get my Q3. For me the tilting screen and phase detect autofocus were the big reasons for the upgrade. I also like they removed the shutter speed limits by ISO so it might be able to be used for astro. Along with the option to turn off long exposure noise reduction when wanted. But it was mostly the tilt and autofocus. I'm hitting 61 in just over a week and getting on the ground for low angle shots isn't so fun.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mekener said:

I have been toying with my Q2 since the announcement trying to figure out if I have any inclination to upgrade, I decided I do not. The bump in mps doesn't do anything for me as the photos have incredible detail already but if I didn't already have the Q2 I would have less money in my wallet and an angry wife. The tilting screen doesn't do anything for me either...

Sorry, but you need to get your priorities in order.  Leica cameras always come first.  You just need to stand up to your spouse.  As for me, I'm getting the camera and not telling the wife. <smile>

(BTW, I have a 61mp Sigma fp L (for my L-mount lenses), and I can tell you that the bump to 61mp is incredible - and I expect the same with the Q3.  So reconsider not trading in the Q2.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It’s been so long since I had my Q2, but I can’t remember if the lens would stop down in real time so I could preview my depth of field in the EVF before releasing the shutter.  I know I can set it to a button on my SL2-S.  Does the Q3 change the aperture as the ring is turned? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, goodbokeh said:

No, it needs the rail in the back also for ArcaSwiss. That's too bad.

That's disappointing. From the photos and the fact that the M11 grip is Arca Swiss compatible I'd assumed that this grip would be too. Looks like I'll be returning mine when it arrives.

• Like 1

The Q3 received quite a lot of love from the online reviews....considering when the Q was originally launched it didn't appeal to many people...but I think through the years and with people actually using it it's developing a lot.
I'm still really happy with my original Q and I don't feel at all the need to upgrade. 24MP it's still lovely. I just wish it could charge via USB, that's the only thing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Does anyone know if the new Q3 thumbgrip would fit on the Q2? Always wanted a silver thumb grip instead

The Q3 has two little buttons on the back and the Q2 only has one, so you’d lose the ability to access one of those buttons.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Dr. G:

How is noise at ISO 6400? When I had my Q2 I was pretty disappointed with low light renderings at 3200 ISO.  

Its like M11. For this camera lots of tests are available. As an example take DxO: 

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Leica-Q2-versus-Leica-M11___1299_1379

Indeed the Q3 is a good step forward.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mzbe said:

Have you considered the Sony RX1R II? No IBIS and the batteries don’t last long - otherwise a credible Q2/Q3 competitor, even today, if you prefer 35mm. And it’s significantly more compact, fwiw.

It's old already. In general, I wouldn't say I like the Sony camera; too many buttons, too ugly 🙂 In this case, I would prefer the x100v.

I will wait for a Q4 (or Q3M) with a 35mm 

• Haha 1

JKC HG-Q2 grip on Q3. Battery access is good. SD card door is blocked. Slightly different curvature of the grip bit against the body but doesn't impair fitment. The Q3 has a tighter radius than the Q2 I reckon.

It will do fine for me for the time being as I'll just plug the camera in via USB to download to Lightroom.

It also has an Arca Swiss rail along the bottom so that obviate the need for a tripod mounting plate which is nice.

Came next day from Amazon UK for £50.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

The Q3 received quite a lot of love from the online reviews....considering when the Q was originally launched it didn't appeal to many people...but I think through the years and with people actually using it it's developing a lot.
I'm still really happy with my original Q and I don't feel at all the need to upgrade. 24MP it's still lovely. I just wish it could charge via USB, that's the only thing.

Same here.  As much as the Q3 looks very good…my Q does what I need it to do.

A Ferrari will outperform my Acura in every way…but I get where I’m going with what I got so I’ll save my money 😂

I’ll take the money I save keeping my Q, take the family on a great trip and come back with a bunch of photos from the Q.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To download images via a USB-C to USB-C cable, it is necessary to go into camera settings, select USB mode. I have then set it to select on connection and after I have connected, select Mass Storage. The Mac can then "see" the SD card in Finder, C1, and LR. 

Wilson

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Location tagging

With the new Fotos app and the Q3, it looks like location tagging for images is working very nicely. 

Obviously I haven't read the Q3 manual, but apparently as long as you have a paired phone linked to the Q3, whenever you take a shot the camera will get the location from the phone and embed it in the image. Google photos then shows the pics on a map in the usual way if you sync your phone gallery to it.

Not sure if it worked this way with the Q2 (I had a QP and never got a Q2). It seems very efficient and I haven't noticed much battery drain. I guess it is using Bluetooth Low Energy. 

• Like 2

The geolocation is being imported into Capture One as well as Lightroom. As I am not a Lightroom fan, it concerned me that C1 would be a bit left behind but the latest version released today has a Q3 profile in it. 

Wilson

4 hours ago, Dennis said:

It's old already. In general, I wouldn't say I like the Sony camera; too many buttons, too ugly 🙂 In this case, I would prefer the x100v.

I will wait for a Q4 (or Q3M) with a 35mm 

Interesting thoughts from Om Malik on how Leica are losing their way (= becoming more like Sony) in the new Q3 design language:

https://om.co/2023/05/26/whats-wrong-with-leica-q3/

I am finding myself in agreement with all of his points.

Many of the fundamental changes in the Q3 have made it more similar to the Sony RX1R II, drifting away from the 'brutalist modern' style of the SL/SL2/Q/Q2.

When I read somewhere here that the Q3 manual is some 260 pages (the Q2 is only 153), my first thought was that Leica has gone the way of Fuji. I had an x100f and Xt-3 and they had way too many features for me. Not to say the Q3 is not a great camera and a technical advance on the Q2 which will sell well, but the Q2 choice for me was / is partially due to the ease and beauty of use. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

When I read somewhere here that the Q3 manual is some 260 pages (the Q2 is only 153), my first thought was that Leica has gone the way of Fuji. I had an x100f and Xt-3 and they had way too many features for me. Not to say the Q3 is not a great camera and a technical advance on the Q2 which will sell well, but the Q2 choice for me was / is partially due to the ease and beauty of use. 

The manual of the Q3 is not an easy or particularly logically set out book but after reading and absorbing IBM's manuals on RPG2 and RPG3 programming languages, anything else is simple. What I think would have really helped would have been a folded up A3 sheet, included with the camera, with a well laid out menu tree on it, set out like a family tree with side branches etc. Leica's version of this is in a section of the manual on pages 247 to 252 headed Direct Access, which is a less than descriptive title. It is also about as easy to interpret as one of British Rail's main line timetables used to be, with all the symbols for: "Does not stop at this station and non-connecting train" etc. The information on setting up the customisable buttons is all there but it takes a lot of digging out. I have my customisable controls and the favourites menu all now set up to my liking but you must remember to save it to a User Profile or it will get lost or overwritten. 

Wilson

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tobers said:

Location tagging

With the new Fotos app and the Q3, it looks like location tagging for images is working very nicely. 

Obviously I haven't read the Q3 manual, but apparently as long as you have a paired phone linked to the Q3, whenever you take a shot the camera will get the location from the phone and embed it in the image. Google photos then shows the pics on a map in the usual way if you sync your phone gallery to it.

Not sure if it worked this way with the Q2 (I had a QP and never got a Q2). It seems very efficient and I haven't noticed much battery drain. I guess it is using Bluetooth Low Energy. 

This is how it works on M11. You pair your camera to your app, give Fotos the necessary permissions, and that's it - all your pictures will have a geotag on them when you import them into Lightroom (haven't tried it with Capture One) or copy them to your phone.

In my experience with M11, geotagging might lag by a few minutes. Say if you took some pictures at spot A and then walked to spot B to take some photos there, a couple of them might still be tagged with the location of spot A.