Kindermann film reels

odd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I bought a lot of darkroom equipment from a former photographer some weeks ago. Among a lot of tools there was several Kindermann film reels and reel loaders.

But I can’t figure out how to use it .. :-(

I’ v reed some tips in Pbase forum etc but can’t still figure out hove to use it. Is there anyone (with a digital camera.. ?) that can post a photo of hove to tread the film …

OM

Guest tummydoc

Take the reel and locate, along the outer edge on one side, a little bent-up prong. Holding the loader in your left hand, push the loader's round spindle through the centre of the reel, with the side of the reel with that bent-up prong facing away from the loader. The film loading apron of the loader has a metal tab on it, with a little notch. Hold the apron against the reel and rotate the reel back toward you (anti-clockwise) so that the butt-end of the outermost reel spiral stops in the notch (the prong will now be directly across--see arrow in the photo). Now, (having previously cut off the film leader straight across), if you slide the film into the apron it should pass into the reel directly aligned with the retaining clip in the centre of the reel. Push the film into the clip so it is secure. Now with the grip of the loader in your left hand, take that bent prong on the reel between your thumb and fore-finger and turn the reel, like a crank, away from you (i.e., clockwise) and the film will load into the spirals. Practise once or twice with spent film in the light and you'll be able to do it effortlessly in the dark. (PS, obviously, once the film is loaded onto the reel, the loader must be withdrawn before the reel may be inserted into the tank)

I assume you talk about loading 35mm film.

Are you talking about stainless steel reels or plastic reels?

If you talk ss reels, then you load them from the middle towards the outside. In the middle of the reel there are two hooks. There you "hang" the film by putting the hooks into the perforation holes on the film. Emulsion side inwards. To get the film into the reel and on to the hooks you need to bend it a bit, to roll it slightly, to make it concave with the emulsion side inwards - but not lengthwise.

Once the film is on the hooks, continue to keep it slightly concave, and turn the reel. Turn and and turn and soon your film is properly loaded. It is easier than with plastic reels.

Hilsen till Norge

Christer

Guest tummydoc

He's talking about Kindermann reels, not generic reels, and the Kindermann loader. Your excellent advice applies to generic stainless reels but not to Kindermann.

Hi to both of you and thanks,

Yes, I'm taking about the Kindermann reels and the loader, I use both 35 mm and medium format.

It was the picture that made it clear.. I’ve practised a few times and it works fine.

Thanks

OM