Voigtlander Ultron 75mm f/1.9

sometimesmaybe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The more I use this lens, the more I like it. I have a Nokton, too, but it feels too big on the M11. The Ultron fits perfectly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Nice picture, Segal.

I too like the size and weight of this lens although I haven't made my purchase decision yet. I'm still doubting what to do. Either buy the Ultron 1.9/75 or a slightly heavier used Summarit-M 2.4/75 mm. Would the difference in image quality be noticeable in landscape photography? What do you think?

Robert

3 hours ago, RobertJGA said:

Nice picture, Segal.

I too like the size and weight of this lens although I haven't made my purchase decision yet. I'm still doubting what to do. Either buy the Ultron 1.9/75 or a slightly heavier used Summarit-M 2.4/75 mm. Would the difference in image quality be noticeable in landscape photography? What do you think?

Robert

I haven't tried Summarit-M, so I can't tell :( I heard it's very sharp, though. 

Nokton is visibly sharper than Ultron in the center from f/2. Ultron 75mm is a tiny bit soft up to f/8 - which is what I want for portraits. It creates this slightly dreamy retro look. Admittedly, you can achieve this look in post, and it's way easier to create it than to get rid of it.

I don't think Ultron is the best lens for landscapes because of that softness, but, I feel like with many modern lenses, you'd need to go pixel-peeping to tell the difference. I had to when comparing it to Nokton :) 

Edited by Segal
not harder, easier :)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertJGA said:

Would the difference in image quality be noticeable in landscape photography?

i second what @Segal said - only if you pixel peep. at normal viewing distance and shot at f5.6 and above, i struggle to see any corner softness in the ultron.

if you need detail in the corners the 2.4 Summarit could be a good option. the boys at Reddot Forum certainly rates the 2.4 Summarit in their 75mm episode on YouTube

Well, I have the 75 2.4 and I can say that it is really sharp, dimmed it is "very sharp". It shows a little character at 2.4, also sharp with a nuance of softness.
For portraits I prefer 2.4 to 4.0 depending on the distance. I often find openness to be unnatural.
It's up to you what you prefer: a very sharp lens, or one with a distinct character.
Note that you can add character in the edit, but what isn't sharp stays that way for the most part.

8 hours ago, Crevice said:

I'm debating this or the Voigtlander 90mm apo, has anybody used that lens and can either compare or give feedback? I would use this lens exclusively as a portrait lens. 

if it's purely for portraits, work out whether:

1. you need the 0.5 MFT of the Ultron vs 0.9 MFT of the APO;
  2. you want a more 'dreamy' look of the Ultron or a more 'perfect' look of the APO;
  3. you need that extra stop of light; and
  4. your preferred working distance.

the key subjective consideration for me was working out whether i liked the 75mm or the 90mm focal length. since acquiring my M last year, i find focusing a 75mm to be easier than a 90mm.  the 75mm also works better in confined spaces and reduces the distance from my subject (i dont mean shooting at MFT). the look from the 75mm is sufficiently different to 50mm - while the difference between 75mm and 90mm is less obvious. i pair my 75mm with a 35mm when on a shoot. i use the 75mm for detail and the 35mm for the environment/mood

i don't have any experience with the CV 90mm APO, but it certainly looks like a decent lens

Another one. Stepped down to f/4 it's reasonably sharp without being too harsh on subjects :) 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Osborne just posted a comparison between the MC and SC versions:

1. not much difference between the MC and SC versions;
  2. ultron is a bit of all-rounder, but doesn't excel at anything; and
  3. he prefers the CV Nokton 75mm f1.5 or the CV APO 90mm f2.8 

my take on the above:

1. agree not much difference between the MC and SC versions when not shot in direct light - but the SC seems to flare more in direct light;
  2. agree that the Ultron is a 'jack of all trades, master of none' lens, but thats the whole Ultron line isn't it?
  3. subjective preference - no right or wrong position (tested on the SL - wonder if things change if Matt used a M body. i personally doubt it given the size of the other lenses are not too different).

just an unrelated observation re the lens used to shot this and the earlier video - looks like Matt used the Light Lens Lab 50mm f/2 Speed Panchro II 

2 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

Matt Osborne just posted a comparison between the MC and SC versions:

1. not much difference between the MC and SC versions;
  2. ultron is a bit of all-rounder, but doesn't excel at anything; and
  3. he prefers the CV Nokton 75mm f1.5 or the CV APO 90mm f2.8 
  1. I can clearly see a difference between the MC and SC samples he provided.
  2. 1.9 clearly excels at character, MFD, compactness, and price
  3. Of course he does. He always prefers the gear he currently has.

Rubbish review overall. Guy is clearly in too much of a hurry in life to put enough thoughtful content into these videos and not have them appear disjointed and hard to follow.

• Like 4

some images from my shoot yesterday (shot wide open on the m246) - didnt quite nail critical focus, but still usable 😬

Edited by sometimesmaybe
  • Like 5

Indeed, I always wonder why people buy cameras and lenses  for tens of thousands of dollars.Euros and then severely limit the results they get by refusing to pay 12 Euro a month to Adobe and soldier on with less effective and  efficient vintage Lightroom versions.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:45 PM, andybarton said:

You have to spend some time on your shots to get the best from them and the camera and the lenses. 

But back to topic... ;) 

• Like 1

75 1.9 MC -|- SL2-S -|- Mastin Labs Natura 1600

• Like 6

Voigtlander Ultron 75mm f/1.9 @ f/1.9 + M10

• Like 3

Fuji San

M.C.

• Like 7

Hie Shrine

S.C.

More pictures in my (german only 🤷🏽‍♂️) YouTube video....if you are interested

https://youtu.be/mhYT9U4o2j4

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else noticed any issues with focusing on subjects more than 7 meters away? I mostly use the Ultron for portraits and had no problems nailing focus so far, but I took my family to a zoo earlier today, and almost all of the pictures of animals are slightly out of focus. I used the rangefinder to focus 100% of the time. 

I took the camera to take photos of my kids, and I just ended up photographing animals because I couldn't resist, so no issues there - I would've taken my Sony A1 if I was planning to shoot wildlife. Just not sure if the pictures ended up blurry because I suck at focusing, or is the lens coupled specifically for portraits?

7 hours ago, Segal said:

Has anyone else noticed any issues with focusing on subjects more than 7 meters away? I mostly use the Ultron for portraits and had no problems nailing focus so far, but I took my family to a zoo earlier today, and almost all of the pictures of animals are slightly out of focus. I used the rangefinder to focus 100% of the time. 

I took the camera to take photos of my kids, and I just ended up photographing animals because I couldn't resist, so no issues there - I would've taken my Sony A1 if I was planning to shoot wildlife. Just not sure if the pictures ended up blurry because I suck at focusing, or is the lens coupled specifically for portraits?

Is the focus behaviour consistent with this focus distance?

What led me to stop using the Nokton 75/1.5 and its excessively short focus throw, is that depending the direction I rack the focus ring from (ie infinity to subject focus vs close focus to subject focus) I get consistently different focus points. Focusing from infinity to the subject results in accurate focus however, focusing from close focus to the subject further away results in a significant back focus. And with a fast 75mm that error is significant and will ruin the shot.

Perhaps if you do some more testing, see whether the issue persists if focusing on your subject always from infinity focus rather from a closer focus distance...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1