Voigtlander Ultron 75mm f/1.9

sometimesmaybe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

CV has just launched a new 75mm f1.9 - sonnar layout in both SC and MC flavours. FMD of 0.5m. Looks like it's designed to glow "no aspherical lenses are used to optimize the balance between bokeh and resolution by retaining a moderate amount of spherical aberration" 

For me the SC version is a serious candidate to replace my 7A 75mm. The Ultron is half the weight of the 7A, better MFD and she glows too. Speed is not an issue for me since I shoot the 7A at f2.8 anyway (just to strike the balance between detail and glow).

Anyone else interested in this lens?  

https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/vm-mount/ultron-75mm-f1-9/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yup, definitely interested to pair this with my LLL 8E for a 35/75 combo with similar rendering. I was about to buy another copy of the 75 1.5, but I think this 1.9 lens will be a better match since it loses the aspherical glass type for the rear element used by the 75 1.5. I'm going to be using a 12504 hood on the 8E and inserting 49mm filters in it, so this 75 1.9 will share filter size, too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks very interesting!

I absolutely love the 75mm f/l and this lens in SC / Black Paint configuration would be a perfect, more 'vintage' style, complement for my modern-rendering Summarit. It also seems to be a fair bit lighter than the Summarit even though it has a half-stop advantage over the Leica lens.

I will watch this one.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

It restores some of the "character" of the 75mm f/1.8 Heliar Classic that the Nokton replaced, I would guess. As well as being more compact and lighter than either (Nokton uses 58mm filters/335g, the new lens is 49mm/290g; the Heliar f/1.8 was 52mm filters and a hefty 427g).

I also note this new Ultron focuses to 0.5 meters, for those who use live-view or an EVF.

I expect this lens will be quite different from Leica's Summicron or Summarit - distinctly NOT the ASPH/APO look. They won't really compete with each other.

Personally, the Nokton f/1.5's aspherical sharpness and larger aperture (much more like the APO-Summicron at wide apertures) is better for me as a journalist/documentarian, but in some cases the Heliar's character was fun to play with (a lot of curvature of field and focus, so the corners were always front-focused (down to f/11 or so), making any background bokeh extra-blurry - cute trick). The Heliar design, BTW was based on Leica's old 1930s 73mm f/1.9 Hektor 3-group, 6 element design - updated with modern coatings.

BTW - the 75mm f/1.5 is one of my easiest M teles to focus (despite the large aperture). Yes, a shortish throw, but very well damped, and nails the ring rotation precisely. I'd expect the f/1.9 to be the same.

I've used all of Voigtlander's 75s, right back to the screw-mount f/2.5 from around 2000. I have full confidence they are expert at handling this focal length in any form.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, M Street Photographer said:

Philip, is there a report from you about the 75mm Summarit? I would be very interested to know if it matches my impressions.

No; sorry, I don't, but as touched on by Adan (above) the Summarit is an ASPH design and renders in a modern way in terms of its character. It's sharp wide-open and becomees very sharp indeed from f4 down to f11. Once f16 is reached one encounters the usual downsides of diffraction etc. so I've found it best to consider f11 as the minimum working aperture.

There ARE a few reviews on-line but none of the ones I've read are (IMO) terribly useful. Erwin Puts did publish a very comprehensive - and in general very favourable - report on the Summarit range as far as the technical capabilities are concerned but, of course, specifications alone don't tell the whole story and unless a similarly scientific examination is carried-out using a 'competing' product there can be no meaningful comparison made..

Actually using the lens is really the only way to guage how the lens performs in a 'real world' situation.

Not sure if that helps much but if you have any specific questions regarding the lens please do send me a PM (so as not to take this thread off-topic).

Philip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Zero samples of portraits on Cosina website... most likely the primary use of the lens.

Indeed the sample images aren't smartly chosen... anyway, quite an interesting lens; I have sold to a friend my Summarit 75 (maybe a silly decision... but he bought my M8 too,,, and wanted a lens too...)  ; was tempted by the VC 75 1,5... but if I want a risky focusing... there is always my Summarex 85... 😉)

Infos on price/availability ?

7 hours ago, jaeger said:

Why is it better than 75mm 1.5?

4 hours ago, roboboss said:

I'm confused by this too. Has anyone figured out how this is supposed to be positioned differently to their F1.5 lens?

i don't think it's about being better. im more looking at it from the position that it's different.

my dilemma is that I only shoot portraits (so i don't need edge to edge sharpness) and i take my GFX and its optically perfect lenses with me to every shoot incl the GF110mm (around 1kg). to mix things up, i also take my m246 (CV 35mm f1.2 III + 7A 75mm f1.25). i love the glowie rendering of the 7A (see pic below), but it's 0.6kg! I'd love to have something similar, but in a much lighter package.

that said, if the new Ultron is the same price as a used Nokton... i might change my tune 😅

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14