Subforums for users of older cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just noticed the comments in the 'I love my M2' thread about the strangeness of being moved out of the M subforum to the 'Leica Collectors and Historica' subforum - I commented there as well.

The real anomaly is a main subforum labelled 'Leica Collectors and Historica' which appears to be intended not just for collectors but also for practical photography with discontinued M and Barnack film cameras. The anomaly is pointed up by having a separate R subforum.

There are a couple of options that (to me) make more sense:

• A separate subforum for users of older/discontinued film cameras; it would have separate sections for M1-M7, Barnacks, R, LTM lenses.
  • Rename the 'Leica Collectors & Historica' subforum to make it clear it is not just for collectors and antiquarians. Create subforums within it for the collectors and for the users of older M, R and Barnack cameras
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have just noticed the comments in the 'I love my M2' thread about the strangeness of being moved out of the M subforum to the 'Leica Collectors and Historica' subforum - I commented there as well.

It doesn't make any sense, that is why.

The question I have would be why every type of Leica Camera has a specific subforum (M/R/S/Q/X/L/.....) except for M39 (and maybe fixed lens Barnacks).
Maybe creating a M39 subforum in the M-System section (and renaming it to M/M39-system section) would be enough to fill that void.

I agree that the "I love my M2" thread fits more logically in the M-system/Film M subforum rather than the Collectors and Historica subforum.

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

It would be nice to have a sub-forum for every edition of every camera, but keeping so many forums organised would be a nightmare. 

Renaming Leica Collectors and Historica ('Older cameras'), and moving into it separate sections for the three discontinued film DNA strands (M1-M7, Barnack, R) would be a simplification, IMO.

Edit. Burying older M film cameras along with Barnacks in 'Leica Collectors & Historica' doesn't make sense given the resurgence in film photography* and those, like me, looking for advice on buying older - and cheaper - bodies.

*recognised by Leica by its new M6

Edited by LocalHero1953

Just now, LocalHero1953 said:

There are plenty on this forum would say it should fit wherever the MP is!

I hope not, my MP doesn't scratch film!

I think subforums for images made with older cameras might be less confusing whilst keeping the historica and collecting forum seperate for those who are interested in collecting.  The M2 forum definitely needs putting back where it belongs, though.

• Like 1

I personally would have thought that the forum should have been divided into:

Rangefinder Cameras (M series, LTM series and with a Collectors/Historica section too)

SLR Cameras (R and S)

EVF Cameras (SL, T etc., and

Fixed Lens Cameras (the compacts, X, Q, film, etc.)

together with appropriate subforums much as they are now. To me this makes better sense altogether but it well might be too much of a radical change.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pgk said:

I personally would have thought that the forum should have been divided into:

Rangefinder Cameras (M series, LTM series and with a Collectors/Historica section too)

SLR Cameras (R and S)

EVF Cameras (SL, T etc., and

Fixed Lens Cameras (the compacts, X, Q, film, etc.)

together with appropriate subforums much as they are now. To me this makes better sense altogether but it well might be too much of a radical change.....

Can you imagine the amount of  work it would take to sort through all threads and place them in the new structure?

• Like 2

vor 38 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

Maybe make the advent of internal metering the dividing line - and M5/CL. Two sub-subforums: Pre-M6 and LTM

Your proposal shows, that such a distrinction would be arbitrary - the M5/CL being „Pre-M6“ but having internal metering. What to do with the M-A?

I fear the discussion looks for a solution where there is no problem.  Why bother about a thread running for years in the „M“ subforum, if some postings would find their places as well in the „Historica“ subforum - such is history.

Directing users to post something only in some spaces and not in others doesn‘t really work. One might remember the times when threads with photos were not „allowed“ in the „technical“ part of the forum. Now look around for all the threads with „Show me your 27.5mm photos…“ in the subforum for lenses or „Show me your XYZ-photos“ in all subfora for cameras 

I am hopeful that fearing the huge amount of work necessary to shift so many threads around and causing more mess than order will beware us of any „new“ subfora. 

38 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Can you imagine the amount of  work it would take to sort through all threads and place them in the new structure?

Legacy is always a problem. Although, actually, my structure would take the existing folder quite well and simply mean that from now on threads went into a more relevant subsection. Where will the fabled EVF-M go though?😊

27 minutes ago, UliWer said:

I am hopeful that fearing the huge amount of work necessary to shift so many threads around and causing more mess than order will beware us of any „new“ subfora. 

Amen to that. It was the shock of the move of the I love my M2 thread that precipitated all of this and now that it has been put back we can all go back to sleep thanks.

Edited by williamj
  • Like 1

I agree with jaapv that creating a complete new structure is not justified because of the amount of work it would involve to move threads and sections around.

Since the main problem seems to be a place for users of M39/Barnack bodies maybe the simplest solution is create a M39/Barnack subforum in the M-system forum, recognising that LTM lenses get discussed in the M-lenses subforum there as well.

For the rest I don't really see a big case for action to change, you can always think about different set-ups but will it really be an improvement of just a change for the sake of change?

2 minutes ago, pegelli said:

simplest solution is create a M39/Barnack subforum in the M-system forum, recognising that LTM lenses get discussed in the M-lenses subforum there as well.

not really, i think m39 and barnacks discussions should stay in the leica collectors and historica area

and the once-in-a-while m39 lens threads posted in the M area could always be moved like they still are from time to time.