Subforums for users of older cameras

20 minutes ago, frame-it said:

not really, i think m39 and barnacks discussions should stay in the leica collectors and historica area

and the once-in-a-while m39 lens threads posted in the M area could always be moved like they still are from time to time.

I look at it differently, the subtitle of the "Collectors and Historica" subforum reads:

"This forum is about collecting Leica cameras and lenses. Historica and photographica - whatever the Leica collector wants!" In my mind this is very far from being a forum for M39/Barnack, especially the use of those cameras by "non-collectors". 

If you want to keep M39/Barnacks there (I would be OK with that) the least that should happen in my mind is creating some subsections in there (like the other forums) with some specific historica/photographica ones (including other types than just Barnacks/LTM, like M and/or R or whatever other Leica's that get collected) but also some topics on the practical use and sharing photo's of/with the M39/Barnack cameras. Currently it's a mishmash of everything it is or isn't. 

And secondly change the title/subtitle so it covers the broader scope of that forum.

Edited by pegelli
  • Like 1

Just now, pegelli said:

the least that should happen in my mind is creating some subsections in there (like the other forums) with some specific historica/photographica ones (including other types than just Barnacks/LTM, like M and/or R or whatever other Leica's that get collected) but also some topics on the practical use and sharing photo's with the M39/Barnack cameras. Currently it's a mishmash of everything it is or isn't. 

And secondly change the title/subtitle so it covers the broader scope of this forum.

yes that makes sense

The problem is that all existing threads that are buried in the present structure would have to be located and moved into the the new forums. There are no algorithms for that so it would mean digging through many years of threads and finding the ones that need to be moved. The only alternative solution would be to make the change on a “from now on” basis and moving threads as they are revived   Which still is quite a burden. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, andybarton said:

Another consideration is that Google and other search engines might lose threads if they’re moved, which means that people wouldn’t be able find them. 

It’s not as simple as it would first appear. 

Would it be an idea to keep all the threads that are now in "Collectors and Historica" in one place and just create a substructure that covers the use of M39/Barnack cameras that gets filled from now on?

The absolute minimum would be to make the title/subtitle cover all the threads that are in there (historically and at the moment), at this moment these titles do not represent the content which is confusing when people want to talk about the use and show results of the M39/Barnack cameras. 

20 minutes ago, Topsy said:

It seems to me that it isn't broken so doesn't need fixing

See my post above, what in my mind is broken that all M39/Barnack use threads are mingled in a forum that by title/subtitle is dedicated to Leica collectors and collectibles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UliWer said:

Directing users to post something only in some spaces and not in others doesn‘t really work.

It's not so much a question about where to direct people to post, it's about where to go for information. It took me quite a while to track down where info on Barnacks was - it didn't occur to me to look in 'Collectors and Historica'.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb pegelli:

This forum is about collecting Leica cameras and lenses. Historica and photographica - whatever the Leica collector wants!" In my mind this is very far from being a forum for M39/Barnack, especially the use of those cameras by "non-collectors".

vor 18 Minuten schrieb LocalHero1953:

It's not so much a question about where to direct people to post, it's about where to go for information. It took me quite a while to track down where info on Barnacks was - it didn't occur to me to look in 'Collectors and Historica'.

Well, it would be easy to change the title of the subforum in a way which appeals to users as well as collectors - it always did already with the present title as long as I am frequenting this forum. 

Perhaps: „This forum is about using and collecting historical Leica items.“ One could leave out the second phrase which doesn‘t add any information. 

The proposal in #29 would do as well. 

Edited by UliWer

58 minutes ago, pegelli said:

The absolute minimum would be to make the title/subtitle cover all the threads that are in there (historically and at the moment), at this moment these titles do not represent the content which is confusing when people want to talk about the use and show results of the M39/Barnack cameras. 

6 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Well, it would be easy to change the title of the subforum in a way which appeals to users as well as collectors - it always did already with the present title as long as I am frequenting this forum. 

Exactly what I proposed in post #27, so fully agree👍

Edited by pegelli

2 hours ago, andybarton said:

Another consideration is that Google and other search engines might lose threads if they’re moved, which means that people wouldn’t be able find them. 

On the subject of searching: I have never seen a worse search engine than this forum sports (except maybe me when I search for stuff at home, but I blame my wife for not finding stuff). This search engine is just terrible. I constantly need to resort to google to find certain threads. No wonder there are so many double, triple etc. thread creations for the same subject.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, andybarton said:

There are significantly more MPs in the world than new M6s.

Very true, but that wasn't really the point. It was the unlikelihood of one of the posts that I had commented on which seemed to touch a nerve. 🙂 

6 hours ago, Al Brown said:

On the subject of searching: I have never seen a worse search engine than this forum sports (except maybe me when I search for stuff at home, but I blame my wife for not finding stuff). This search engine is just terrible. I constantly need to resort to google to find certain threads. No wonder there are so many double, triple etc. thread creations for the same subject.

really ? i think the LUF search engine is quite good, just need to go into advanced search settings and its very accurate

Two questions:

First to the mods: Is the Title (and subtitle) "Collectors & Historica" forum going to be changed or will it remain as is (or is it still being discussed)?

Second in general: is there already a thread specifically for LTM and/or Barnack film shots? I searched several fora and did come up empty, but I don't want to start one in case it already exists.