SL (T601) in 2023

JeanneB

Congratulations, enjoy your new camera/lens!  

Asking 28/35 recommendations in a new thread will net you minimal 10 pages of responses.  Let me save  you the confusion of multitudes of great opinions 😁,  buy the 28 Summilux. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 10:02 PM, JeanneB said:

I need a color camera to combine with my Q2 mono, another Q2 would be redundant. SL2-S its to expensive for me ... 

I love raw colors in SL, but pay 1800/1900 usd for a 2015 camera maybe it would be a mistake when for that price you can get a Fuji T5? 

Happy new year!

JeanneB, look at Panasonic S5II just announced. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeanneB said:

I bought it with a Summilux-SL 50 f/1.4 ASPH, now searching a manual 28/35mm :)

Congrats!

How do you want to complement the 50 Lux L which will be bright, has AF but significantly larger and heavier? 
Do you want a different look? The 50 lux would be a Peter Karbe modern sharp look and bokeh king. 

if you want a different look, then you could look at non-Asph lenses. 

You already have the Q2 which is essentially a 28 Lux fused to a camera body. you will be hard pressed to find another 28mm from any brand that can match the Q2

Do you really need a 28? Or even 35? 
would you shoot 21 or 24mm? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, northernlights said:

Congrats!

How do you want to complement the 50 Lux L which will be bright, has AF but significantly larger and heavier? 
Do you want a different look? The 50 lux would be a Peter Karbe modern sharp look and bokeh king. 

if you want a different look, then you could look at non-Asph lenses. 

You already have the Q2 which is essentially a 28 Lux fused to a camera body. you will be hard pressed to find another 28mm from any brand that can match the Q2. 

Do you really need a 28? Or even 35? 
would you shoot 21 or 24mm? 

My wallet is empty, maybe a Voigtlander nokton 😅

6 hours ago, JuveFC said:

Look into the 28mm Ultron II. An outstanding lens. I owned a Q2. The Ultron is up there. 

I have the 28mm Ultron II m-mount.  Pretty good lens, but not really in the Leica league.  I does have one MAJOR advantage though, it is one of the very few wide-angle M-mount lenses that work flawlessly on full-frame Sony A7Rx cameras.

For Leica quality, you're options are more limited.  I settled on a Leica 28mm Elmarit-R V2.  Compact, solid build, sharp in close and far away.  Plays well on Sony's as well.

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/28mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_II

Before I got the 28Rv2, I used the Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS - another great (and actually inexpensive) lens, but the Leica R is better 🙂

Edited by AZN
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AZN said:

I have the 28mm Ultron II m-mount.  Pretty good lens, but not really in the Leica league.  I does have one MAJOR advantage though, it is one of the very few wide-angle M-mount lenses that work flawlessly on full-frame Sony A7Rx cameras.

For Leica quality, you're options are more limited.  I settled on a Leica 28mm Elmarit-R V2.  Compact, solid build, sharp in close and far away.  Plays well on Sony's as well.

https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/28mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_II

Before I got the 28Rv2, I used the Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS - another great (and actually inexpensive) lens, but the Leica R is better 🙂

I find the Ultron II 28mm to be better then the new 28 Summicron, even wide open on the M11.

The next step up is the Summilux 28 for M, a lens that I like better than the Q2 28. The Q2 lens feels more like a 24-26mm with lots of distortion correction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome

I have a M10-D and wanted my first Leica DSLR. I bought the last SL new in march 2022, with its "old" technology Why?

I only use M Lenses

I wanted the same sensor

I wanted the same sensor size

I love the rear buttons

I  never use the rear screen as I‘m not able to with the M10-D

That technology of SL might be old is not relevant. You never buy LEICA to have the newest. Otherwise you will go for (great) Sony's and will be unhappy with its complexity and ugliness. You buy LEICA because it's tank, heritage, purism, simplicity and beeing sure of stable value also after years.

The SL has no IBIS you never will need. A photographer, who can‘t make pictures until 6400 ISO is no Photographer… with Summilux and Summicron you always have enough abilities…and you can push the light in post processing if really necessary.

But your decision might be usability in two directions:

If you use Q2 the rear menu buttons might be wished the same in a DSLR System. Then the SL might be uncomfortable.

Also the resolution. Q2 has 47mpx

I would keep the same usability both with a similar sensor size and resolution and with the menu buttons.

I would go for a mint SL2, that will have enough resolution also for the great APO M (or SL lenses) for cropping to save tele lenses.

Now much cheaper than a new SL2-s and will be fine for the next seven years minimum…

Have a good choice

Chris

Edited by st4u
  • Like 1

As I’m commented in the second body thread, I currently have the SL, SL2, and SL2-S. I won’t keep all three and debating which will go, but in no way is the SL the automatic choice. It’s still a great camera and I actually prefer the default colors out of it. Different strokes of course.  Also the CV 28 f/2 Ultron II is a solid lens. 

7 hours ago, st4u said:

The SL has no IBIS you never will need. A photographer, who can‘t make pictures until 6400 ISO is no Photographer… with Summilux and Summicron you always have enough abilities…and you can push the light in post processing if really necessary.

Or you could get camera which supports TTL flash (no Leica made unfortunately).

On 1/7/2023 at 8:29 PM, V23 said:

Panasonic S5II just announced. 

It came with superior to any in SL line C-AF.

But I doubt it is as good as any SL with any rangefinder lenses.

And 3.68m EVF is new low res for EVF :) 

And no top screen.

S5II tops are working C-AF, flipout screen, normally priced battery and body, body + kit lens price. Also, local support.

On the bottom line... buying made in China brings ethical questions to me...

I also brought an SL this year to retire my Sony A7.
I think SL with GPS, vintage-lens friendly, good mobile app, minimalistic design and some German’s over engineered features is still work well and better than mid-range cameras in 2023. After all, flagship cameras designed to be last longer.

• Like 4