Leica Spotting

leitz_not_leica

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got to show off my Leica R8/DMR, as I made an appearance in this video-blog by the MiltownKid. Check it out

I show up around the 1:30 mark!

Here's the photo I made!

Troy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I recently got to show off my Leica R8/DMR, as I made an appearance in this video-blog by the MiltownKid. Check it out
I show up around the 1:30 mark!

Here's the photo I made!

Troy

...very quirky off-beat footage, troyfreund (but I like it). Quick question - I noticed a slight break-up in the video footage each time the R8 shutter was released (it happened twice - at 1:44 and 1:54). Was this due to some sort of interference from the R8 during filming? Go on, dazzle me with the relevant science. :D

Edited by aesop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Erwin Rommel, from the National Geographic documentary "APOCALYPSE - Second World War".

I guess it wasn't a russian copy ;)

• 1 month later...

I just watched "Midnight Meat Train" which, as has already been mentioned, has the main character doing street photography with a black M camera.

Some interesting things I noticed:

- Unlike most Hollywood camera depictions, the shutter and winding noises are true to the M camera. No fake motor drive noises.

- The photographer winds the camera after every shot. But he also focuses the lens too much.

- The "red dot" on the camera is located near where the self-timer or battery compartment is. All other identifying marks appear to be blacked out.

- When we see "through the viewfinder", it is a semi-accurate depiction of a Leica viewfinder, with frame lines and a central patch, rather than an SLR-style focusing screen. And no zooming or rack focus effects. The only problem is that the frames lines are far too thick.

I should note that this is a very gruesome movie, which ends in an extremely silly way. I don't recommend it, especially if you are squeamish.

For UK viewers of ITV tonight ...

I think it's been mentioned here before, althought not on this thread, but the movie that has showcased Leica the most that I've seen is the aweful American Teen movie "Eurotrip." Leica isn't only the brand of camera used, it is actively discussed in the dialogue and plays a part in the plot.

The best Leica based line is "The M7 makes Nikon look like a plastic disposible." That same character soon gets sexual favors from the camera shop girl because of his camera after uttering the line.

There are some technical issues though as he says that that the M7 it has "the built in light meter" as opposed the M6 which is incorrect as most know. He also wants "a new battery" for the camera and it takes two. But that's just me nitpicking.

There is an R body in the beginning, but I'm not sure what it was. It wasn't an R8/R9, so I'm figuring R6 or R7 with a zoom lens.

I was pretty shocked that Leica played such a big roll given the target audience of the movie. Most Americans, and especially kids, don't have the first clue what a Leica is, or that it is anything special.

JCA

I have just seen a Chanel No 5 advert on British TV featuring a romance between a young man and a young woman on a train that looks very much like the Orient Express. At the end, the woman is shown holding a digital M, but it flashed on and off the screen so quickly that I could neither make out which one or see which lens was on it. Unfortunately, I was not recording the program, so I have no means of replaying it to investigate further. My hunch is that the advert was made before the launch of the M9, but I have no evidence to support the theory. :confused:

I am sure that the challenge of a positive identification will be an easy task for this forum! I have posted this in the Customer Forum, but perhaps the moderators will move it to the appropraite M8 or M9 section when such identification is made. ;)

Regards

Mike

The ad is on the Chanel website:

Chanel.com - Parfums & Beaut�

Click on the picture and followed by the image of the woman looking out of the carriage window in the next page that opens. You then get the option to play either the 60 second or 2 minutes 20 second version. Presumably the latter is intended to be shown in cinemas.

My hunch that it is a M8 is correct - the frame counter and lack of M9 ridge on the top plate is a dead giveaway - and it looks like a 50 Summilux or Noctilux to me. Neither are lenses with which I am familiar and the image is blurred, so some further investigation is definitely called for.

Now, will Chanel give me a free sample as a Xmas pressie for the wife in thanks for directing the Leica masses to their ad? ;)

Regards

Mike

A quick update - in the Behind the Scenes section, the photographer Dominique Isserman is using a DSLR rather than a M. Shame! :D

Update - I have just spotted the red ring of a Canon lens on the DSLR, but who would possibly want to identify that? ;)

Regards

Mike

Edited by Seeingeye
Update