Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35 or 50?

digitaltoddy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I've recently switched from NIkon to the Leica system, specifically an SL2-S with the APO 35 and 24-90.   I wanted something less cumbersome than the 24-90, mostly for documenting my toddler as she grows up.   I'm blown away by the IQ of the 35, the color rendition is just out of this world IMO. However, I've been thinking about getting the 50 f/2 instead since the 35 may be a little wider than I need for that purpose.   

How does the IQ / color renditon of the 50 compare to the 35?   I've read interviews with the lens designer that state the 35 is the best lens he's designed and I'm hesitant to part with my beloved 35 if the 50 isn't on the same level.

Thanks in advance!

Just as good. When Peter Karbe defines “best” he is talking of tenths of a percent difference at most.  The 50 APO is to all photographic intents and purposes exactly as good as the 35. Just have both. 

• Like 8

I’d only go with the 35 apo for full length images.  Arms and features tend to distort closer up so I try to not choose that lens unless it’s more of a scene setter.  But I know there are thousands of award winning photographers out there that it would be their go-to lens for everything…

I love the 50 for every possible use with people.  Close up, full body, or at a distance.   I use a nokton 1.0 but am adding an apo SL 50 soon as well.

but for pure portraits, I’d pick my 75 or 90

so my main combo is the 35 with one of the tele’s

all the summicrons have similar clarity and truly clean colors.  

you can’t go wrong with any of them.  

Robb

• Like 5

If you bought from a trusted dealer, you should be able to arrange a demo/trade.  In the US, rental is another option. All of the SL Summicrons are stellar optically, but only you can decide if the longer focal length better suits your needs.

The barrel sizes (and various other internal components) are standardized across the Summicron line to create economies of manufacture and production, which is why the 35, which otherwise would have been smaller, provided some additional space to allow for marginally better design/performance… statistically. Whether you’d notice any difference, however, is questionable, and more likely to result from different FL effects than any other characteristics.  Try it.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

16 hours ago, digitaltoddy said:

I've read interviews with the lens designer that state the 35 is the best lens he's designed and I'm hesitant to part with my beloved 35 if the 50 isn't on the same level.

The designer was speaking from his point of view. It's harder to design an outstanding 35, compared to a 50, so he's more proud of the 35. They both perform the same.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BernardC said:

The designer was speaking from his point of view. It's harder to design an outstanding 35, compared to a 50, so he's more proud of the 35. They both perform the same.

Karbe said that it would have been harder if the 35 had been designed for its typically smaller size, but that the extra space provided by the standardized barrels made it easier to optimize performance. He used his graphs to back up his view.  Whether this translates to any practical difference whatsoever is unlikely, but are you saying that you disagree with his premise regarding relative lack of size constraints?

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not the most qualified to give you a proper answer, but as a future SL(3) owner, will approach to your question from a M perspective, even if there's no IQ accurate comparison (as the SL lenses are a bit better than the manual ones): pick both if you can. 

I own both the 35 & 50 luxs and could never claim one is way better than the other. They are that good, even with some rendering differences.

I imagine in the SL sphere this is even more obvious, so the only way to pick one lens over the other is basing the decision just on FL preferences. 

I have both and would never part with either. Their performance on the SL2 is phenomenal from fully open already.
I find the focus function to be extremely fast and accurate too. As an aside I have also never seen a single fault develop in the SL bodies and lenses.
You can of course crop from an image made with the 35 on the SL2. If you move closer to fill the frame more with the 35 then you get a different perspective. That need not be bad and can be great too.

As others have said, I'd choose on the basis of preferred focal length, rather than IQ.  If you are in the market for a 50mm, you also bring the Summilux and the Panasonic 50mm f1.4 into competition.  These are slightly less perfect than the Summicron.  The former has a (portrait) rendering that is hard to live without, while the latter may be technically superior to the Summilux.  It is also cheaper.   You pays your £$€... and you takes your choice ...

• Like 2

I have both the 35 and 75 SL lenses (and a 50 Lux M with adapter)

As mentioned above, the SL APO lenses across the board are excellent and designed to some degree to function as a set. They share a common barrel as well as other components across the line to standardize.

If you prefer the focal length of 50, arrange a trade with a dealer. The performance will be excellent on both. 

I own most of the SL prime lenses.  The 50 APO is probably my least favorite; maybe because the focal length is too close to the 35, or maybe because the performance is virtually identical to the 35 APO and so it produce similar results.

If you have the 35 APO and are looking to add another SL prime to your kit, then I would highly recommend the 75 APO.  The 75 APO is one my favorites; it makes everything look "cinematic".

If you really want a 50mm, then go with the Summilux-SL 50mm.  It is bigger, heavier, and a bit slower, but it has a nicer bokeh and just as sharp as the 50 APO.  It does produce a lot distortion, but that's fixed in post.  I would describe the rendering of the Summilux as "magical".

The best would be not to listen to anyone and just try the lenses yourself and then decide which ones you like the most 🙂.

• Like 2