Anyone using Contax 645 AF lenses on the S System

rollsman4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did read a few articles about this. From what I gathered the Contax lenses are excellent BUT not as good as the S Lenses.  I am hoping that there is someone on the forum that has used the C lenses and if there is really a Big difference and what is the difference.  Thank you   Dennis

I use a couple of 645 Zeiss Contax on my S006. The 80 F2 Planar and the 55mm f3.5 Distagon are both pretty amazing (legendary optics, these), and they don't really have a Leica S mount equivalent.  The 140mm is useful, but I need to be careful with the shutter speeds. I've heard good things about the 120mm f4 APO Planar, but I already have the Leica version of that lens, so I can't comment on the Contax version besides what I've gathered from Fred Miranda etc. Note that the 80 Planar and the 55 Distagon are now quite pricey, and you have to factor in the S-C adapter, too.  Once the adapter establishes contact between the lens and the body, AF is quite snappy.

On 11/26/2022 at 1:02 AM, Sandokan said:

@jip was using Contax 645RF lenses on the S and was getting excellent results. Maybe the S lenses are better at f2.8 but its hard to differentiate at f8 between any lens

Correct I wrote a whole article about it: https://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-s-with-contax-645-lenses/

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a few I like with the Contax 140/2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I am a retired professional who used a Contax 645 with most of the Zeiss lenses available for that system. I sold the 645 but kept the lenses, which I use with my S007 and the adapter. There is no doubt in my mind that  both the Zeiss optics and the various Leica S lenses are optically of excellent quality, and as one commenter said, at f/8 you are not going to see much, if any, difference in final output. That said, the Leica lenses are more modern designs, and under controlled, almost laboratory conditions, will outperform their Zeiss equivalents. I made a direct comparison of the Zeiss 80mm f/2 Planar to the Leica 70mm and did find that the Leica lens could be used at full aperture with almost no loss of image quality, but the Zeiss Planar had a small degree of softness and some chromatic fringing at the image edges.

In real world shooting conditions, camera shake is going to negate the slight differences in these lenses of either brand. To sum up, if you can justify the cost of the adapter, it makes sense to purchase the Zeiss lenses as the price differential is enormous. In my case, I already owned several of the Zeiss lenses so buying the adapter made sense and it works well with full function. But I did sell off the Zeiss 80mm and purchased the Leica 70mm CS lens which I use constantly. I also use the Zeiss 120mm Macro Planar often for portraits with excellent results, almost too sharp at normal apertures.

You really can't go wrong either way with these lenses which are at the top of the quality range.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bevdig said:

But I did sell off the Zeiss 80mm and purchased the Leica 70mm CS lens which I use constantly.

I just bought a copy of the 70 Summarit and quite enjoy it. Not ready to part with my Zeiss 80 Planar, though, the rendering is quite special. I have no complaints about its build quality, either (although it isn't waterproof as the S 70).

1 hour ago, HandofSand said:

I just bought a copy of the 70 Summarit and quite enjoy it. Not ready to part with my Zeiss 80 Planar, though, the rendering is quite special. I have no complaints about its build quality, either (although it isn't waterproof as the S 70).

I too have just bought an S70cs because the new Godox trigger does not work with the S cameras. But I will keep my Contax 645 lenses. The C80 Planar and C55 Distagon  are compact and light , very good for traveling. 

First of all, Let me thank you all for the valuable info. you have given me. I was on the Fence about using the Contax lens I have ( 140/2.8 ) and maybe purchasing another Contax Lens and get the adaptor( a good deal... 600.00)   Does this sound like a good or bad Idea?   Or Just Buy 1 more Leica s lens   Open for suggestions.  Thanks Much   Dennis

33 minutes ago, rollsman4 said:

First of all, Let me thank you all for the valuable info. you have given me. I was on the Fence about using the Contax lens I have ( 140/2.8 ) and maybe purchasing another Contax Lens and get the adaptor( a good deal... 600.00)   Does this sound like a good or bad Idea?   Or Just Buy 1 more Leica s lens   Open for suggestions.  Thanks Much   Dennis

That *is* a good price for the adapter, but my thinking is this, and these are radically personal opinions and gross generalizations:

Current generation MF lenses: Optically perfect due to corrections in post (makes correcting for other aberrations easier) and have small moving lens groups for fast focus (e.g. new XCD, some SL lenses - even the original zooms. Made for mirrorless) .

One generation older, same as above without the faster focus. (older XCD lenses)

Two generations back, optically as good as can be without correction in post (Leica S, later Hassy HC - made for SLR/DSLR)

Three generations back, not good CA unless APO or better (older Hassy HC, Contax, Hassy V, made for SLR).  

All of these will work on a modern camera - the Leica S3 uses all of them happily - but the optical deficiencies are getting more prominent. As previously noted, stopped down, or printed at not-insane dimensions, they look as good as they ever did.

Timeless: Leica M, Tech cam lenses.

So just keep in mind what you're buying. I have lenses from all the above groups, and like each of them for what they are. I have yet to find any lens that I prefer to an S version in the same focal length (except the 45 😆)

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

3 hours ago, rollsman4 said:

$600 is a decent deal, given that you already have a Contax lens (assuming it's a lens that you like).

I don't think it would make sense if you didn't own Contax lenses. Some of them cost almost as much as S lenses, and they can't be serviced if they need parts.

Ok so any lens is at risk for repair. Not Just the S Lenses. I am going to sell the Contax 140 2.8 and NOT buy the adaptor.  

The reason I bought the S007 is mainly for the Optics. So, I will wait and see what other lens ( S ) I want to get.  Most likely the S 35

Everyone who responded has made it much easier for me to decide which lens I will purchase Next. TY Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...