Any news on new Leica SL lenses?

Sohail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel the 50 SL is a significant step up from the 65/2 which is indeed excellent

I've migrated from a Sigma contemporary set of 24/2, 35/2, 65/2 and 90/2.8 to a bigger, heavier but more satisfying set of sigma Art 35/1.4, 50SL, sigma Art 85/1.4, no regrets

The 24/2 was too close to Q2 really for me and not really getting used 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, huwm said:

I feel the 50 SL is a significant step up from the 65/2 which is indeed excellent

I've migrated from a Sigma contemporary set of 24/2, 35/2, 65/2 and 90/2.8 to a bigger, heavier but more satisfying set of sigma Art 35/1.4, 50SL, sigma Art 85/1.4, no regrets

The 24/2 was too close to Q2 really for me and not really getting used 

Thanks huwm, yours is the first report I’ve seem about  50sl vs the 65. 

3 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

I heard a rumor that Leica is about to release a New line up of smaller size fully auto-focus capable SL lens next year. Starting with 35mm & 50mm as early as Qtr2. Can anybody confirm or check on this ?

If true, I wonder if they will be based on Sigma's excellent I series lenses.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb FranciscoChung:

I heard a rumor that Leica is about to release a New line up of smaller size fully auto-focus capable SL lens next year. Starting with 35mm & 50mm as early as Qtr2. Can anybody confirm or check on this ?

I heared Peter Karbe saying "we are listening" and such things when asked for smaller SL lenses - so I can imagine it's true (but knowing nothing) 

6 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

rumor that Leica is about to release a New line up of smaller size fully auto-focus capable SL lens next year

Better late then never I guess, but not by much.  Should have done this 5 years ago 🤨

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, SrMi said:

If true, I wonder if they will be based on Sigma's excellent I series lenses.

From one review of Sigma’s I Series:

The optics are decent, but not perfect. Quite typical actually, of other modern digital lenses. Reasonably sharp at all apertures and all the way to the corners, but almost sterile and completely lacking in old world “character”. Vignetting and CA have been reduced to the vanishing point. Images shot at f2.8 have the same overall look as those shot at f22. Unless of course, you look closely to find an accumulation of a variety of minute aberrations that crop up at wide apertures. Out of focus areas strike me as “busy”, much the same as other modern lenses. I guess you can’t have everything. While hardly “classic” in its rendering of image quality, this lens doesn’t do anything badly. Resulting image quality will always be good. But the inevitable price for that, is that it doesn’t seem do anything spectacularly well either. The images don’t seem to “pop” in the striking way I’ve seen from a few other modern lenses. A minor gripe, though, and hardly a scientific analysis. Just my two cents worth.

Edited by John Smith

16 minutes ago, John Smith said:

The optics are decent, but not perfect. Quite typical actually, of other modern digital lenses. Reasonably sharp at all apertures and all the way to the corners, but almost sterile and completely lacking in old world “character”. Vignetting and CA have been reduced to the vanishing point. Images shot at f2.8 have the same overall look as those shot at f22. Unless of course, you look closely to find an accumulation of a variety of minute aberrations that crop up at wide apertures. Out of focus areas strike me as “busy”, much the same as other modern lenses. I guess you can’t have everything. While hardly “classic” in its rendering of image quality, this lens doesn’t do anything badly. Resulting image quality will always be good. But the inevitable price for that, is that it doesn’t seem do anything spectacularly well either. The images don’t seem to “pop” in the striking way I’ve seen from a few other modern lenses. A minor gripe, though, and hardly a scientific analysis. Just my two cents worth.

Could you share a link? Thanks.

Edited by SrMi

16 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Which is why I've ended up with the Art lenses

42 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Which is why I’ll stay with the Summicrons. Smaller SL lenses sound too much like Leica’s Summarit series. 

For me, APO-Summicron-SLs are often too heavy. The Sigma i45 is an excellent performer, and so is the i90. I am still forming an opinion on the rest of the i-line. The only other options are the M lenses.

10 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

I have zero idea if that’s right or not, all I know is my GFX100S and GF 50mm lens feels compact and light vs my previously owned SL2 + SL Summicron, but I’m not sure for some subjects if I prefer the image quality off the GFX or not! I suspect there is a different rendering from the two that is harder than expected to “neutralise”.

14 hours ago, SrMi said:

For me, APO-Summicron-SLs are often too heavy. The Sigma i45 is an excellent performer, and so is the i90. I am still forming an opinion on the rest of the i-line. The only other options are the M lenses.

If their data sheet is right for the 21mm, it's even heavier at c 1.2kg versus some of the other SL Summicron lenses!

14 hours ago, SrMi said:

At the size and weight of Art lenses, I'd rather go with APO Summicron SL lenses.

I get that but cost is an issue for me, particularly for focal lengths I use infrequently

Frequency of use 24-70 Leica, 50 Leica, 105macro sigma, 85 sigma, 35 sigma

I'd love to replace the Sigmas with SLs but cannot personally justify the cost

The Arts get close enough, much closer than the contemporary series