Any news on new Leica SL lenses?

Sohail

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a feeling that the 21mm SL Summicron will be very special lens, much like the 35mm. I am guessing that the 24mm will get built after the demand cycle for the 21mm has slowed down. I wish that Leica would innovate and start looking at Carbon fibre matrix for non wearing parts - in order to lighten the whole series. Their price point can support this. The Camera body could be partially lightened this way. Weight and a non moving screen are the two biggest factors in the camera, as far as usage goes. AF is obviously an issue for some.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, huwm said:

I feel the 50 SL is a significant step up from the 65/2 which is indeed excellent

I've migrated from a Sigma contemporary set of 24/2, 35/2, 65/2 and 90/2.8 to a bigger, heavier but more satisfying set of sigma Art 35/1.4, 50SL, sigma Art 85/1.4, no regrets

The 24/2 was too close to Q2 really for me and not really getting used 

I assume it's the 50mm SL Summicron or is it the Summilux? Was the 65mm far behind? I ask because I was just about to buy it a lighter alternative.

11 hours ago, Planetwide said:

I assume it's the 50mm SL Summicron or is it the Summilux? Was the 65mm far behind? I ask because I was just about to buy it a lighter alternative.

yes the 50 SL summicron

an improvement on the 65/2 and although bigger and heavier, the 'in hand, up to eye (always EVF never LCD for me)' seemed much the same

which is why I swapped out the contemporary lenses for art lenses in my lesser used focal lengths also

if sigma came up with a native L mount 50mm 1.4 Art??

• Thanks 1

I think the 21mm Summicron will be an interesting and exciting lens. I am not sure I will buy it right away, as it is not my most used focal length these days. While I tend to prefer 24mm as a final result, I think that the extra coverage will be very useful on the SL2, as the extra megapixels will be useful for cropping. I find that I crop almost all my images to 4x5, so doing so with the 21mm yields something closer to a 24mm in the end. I can see it also being more useful for architectural interiors, for example, as it will allow for more post shot correction if the camera needs to be tilted for some reason. Will be curious to see the datasheet!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Am 2.12.2022 um 04:18 schrieb Santos:

The 100-400mm is in the Works. (IQ Color more matching the 90-280mm due to Feedback)

...just watched this stream from a German vlogger who shoots with SL2s, Q and M who is reporting about his recent trip on a container ship. At 51m:55s he is answering  (German language) a question about the 100-400mm he has been shooting with and he replies that he cannot answer this question as he is a beta-tester...Since he has been testing and vlogging about new Leica products in the past I would take this as the final confirmation that we can expect a Leica 100-400 sooner than later.

• Like 9

So the 21SL is Super-Apo?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

16 hours ago, jrp said:

Well, or a Sigma / Sigma rebrand ...

We know that the 24-70 uses more exotic glass elements than the Sigma equivalent (although some people refuse to believe this, in spite of published specifications and tests). That should apply even more to a telephoto zoom, given that they benefit even more from ED glass. There are some things you can't offer at Sigma's $1,000 price point, but that are expected in a more expensive package.

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Can you point to some accurate test? I'm genuinely curious to see if there's any substantial difference. So far I've only seen comparisons here on the forum

I agree that most tests are fairly anecdotal. Unfortunately no-one gets paid to do a serious test (and publish it online). Influencers avoid Leica, because no-one buy them via Amazon links.

The Leica Store Miami test was pretty good. It compared both 24-70s and the 24-90, under relatively controlled conditions. It's around an hour into this video. You can decide for yourself if the difference is substantial. They found that Leica's 24-70 was better in the corners than Sigma's 24-70, but that the 24-90 was best overall.

As always, remember that tests don't consider things that individual photographers care about. Do you really need 7% better contrast at 15mm off-axis? Would you notice if you saw it? Personally, I care more about flare and distortion, but internet experts rarely mention those things. If it can't be demonstrated using pictures of a brick wall, it doesn't matter.

I'm sure that most people who purchased Leica's 24-70 care about the fact that it was sold with their camera body, it looks and acts similar, and that it is a very good lens. Would they be interested if you told them that they could have spent hours researching, in order to save a few hundred dollars? At the possible cost of blurrier corners and non-matching finish? I doubt it. After all, no-one is spending their last dollar on a new Leica kit! I'm sure most Leica customers would rather have the time back than the money back.

Long story short: I expect that reaction to the 100-400 will be exactly the same. Many people will be convinced in advance that it's the same as Sigma's 100-400, even if the specifications are different. They will then imply that anyone who buys the Leica lens is being irresponsible with money. This will never end. Any time anyone posts a picture taken with this lens, or mentions it in any way, these people will feel it their duty to "remind" us that Sigma sells a similar lens at a lower price.

I am convinced that when (if) these people are invited to dinner parties, they only want to talk about how the host could have purchased "similar" cutlery from Walmart at a lower price. They don't get invited-out often, so they can spend more time commenting about others online...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Are you referring to post #53 (Leica’s lens has more exotic glass elements)?

That's in the official specifications published by Leica and by Sigma on their respective web sites. They are different.

You can contact the companies if you think that their web sites are inaccurate. I am sure that they would correct any mistakes.

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

The Leica Store Miami test was pretty good. It compared both 24-70s and the 24-90, under relatively controlled conditions. It's around an hour into this video. You can decide for yourself if the difference is substantial. They found that Leica's 24-70 was better in the corners than Sigma's 24-70, but that the 24-90 was best overall.

Thanks, I was thinking more about something like Reid's reviews.

I don't trust the Leica Miami guys since they have a vested interest. Besides, sample variation is a thing, so I prefer to take a look at 2-3 different reviews to account for this.

ps: the folks at Phillip Reeve's always test for flare and distortion