Registering gear

grahamc

I have registered my digital cameras for Leica one year extended warranty here. All my recent Leica digital bodies have thus obtained 3 years warranty instead of the usual two.
I also got 3 issues of LFI for free in the LFI app with the deal as a bonus and the chance to purchase other back issues heavily reduced at 2.50 eur.

To answer your question - absolutely useles to register old gear apart from "peace of mind" proof of ownership in case of theft/loss, but only if you have no receipts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I have registered my digital cameras for Leica one year extended warranty here. All my recent Leica digital bodies have thus obtained 3 years warranty instead of the usual two.
I also got 3 issues of LFI for free in the LFI app with the deal as a bonus and the chance to purchase other back issues heavily reduced at 2.50 eur.

To answer your question - absolutely useles to register old gear apart from "peace of mind" proof of ownership in case of theft/loss, but only if you have no receipts.

Great, thanks very much Al 

25 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

And whenever a. amera should be stolen it still is registered on your name. A new "owner" could never have it fixed. On the other hand legally this is not so simple whe the stolen item is re-sold. 

Not sure that it works that way. But one can always report the theft to Leica. Leica only requires proof of purchase for warranty repairs and the factory warranty covers second-hand gear as well.

25 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

A new "owner" could never have it fixed.

I do not know where you have heard that. First hand proof: I have registered a Summilux and when I sold it the new owner broke it and sent it to Wetzlar. They fixed it without even asking a question, let alone contacting me.

• Like 2

But in that case the camera was not reported as stolen.

I might be all wrong. But when I tell Leica that my camera was stolen and it is registered in my name, then something should happen if my camera turns up in Leicas workshop. 

But above I said that legally it is quite tricky: When I buy a stolen camera and I paid a fair price and have no clue that it was stolen, then I probably will be the rightful owner . . .

• Like 1