Lightroom and MacOS Ventura 13 Compatibility

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, Alberti said:

Regarding the SD cards, there is a program called SD Formatter. This is made by the industry organisation.

It greatly improves the matching of a card to the SD-reader.

There is a thread on ‘whch card to use’ and the use of the tools to format a card is known to increase the match with the computer.

I’ve used this program for years and in this particular instance (Ventura + SD card) it’s sadly made no difference at all (tried with 5 different cards, three of which are exactly the same spec)

I did seem to get a noticeable improvement by resetting the SMC but I need to try this again with a card of camera written DNGs, not just some DNGs I copied on there to test with.

I can begrudgingly live with it running slow, but it needs to run.

2 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

I’ve used this program for years and in this particular instance (Ventura + SD card) it’s sadly made no difference at all (tried with 5 different cards, three of which are exactly the same spec)

I did seem to get a noticeable improvement by resetting the SMC but I need to try this again with a card of camera written DNGs, not just some DNGs I copied on there to test with.

I can begrudgingly live with it running slow, but it needs to run.

Is your 2021 MBP an Intel or Apple chip?

27 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Ok, that's odd. The Apple Silicon chips don't have a SMC, purely an Intel thing.  Simply powering it off resets the M1/M2 chips.

You seem way more knowledgable on all of this than me. But I rather got the impression from the internet (of all places!!) that the Silicon platform reset NVRAM via powering off, but the SMC still required pressing several buttons whilst being powered up (it's not the T2 chip if that's relevant..?)

21 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

You seem way more knowledgable on all of this than me. But I rather got the impression from the internet (of all places!!) that the Silicon platform reset NVRAM via powering off, but the SMC still required pressing several buttons whilst being powered up (it's not the T2 chip if that's relevant..?)

I don't think it's relevant.  Either way, if you saw an improvement that's all that counts.  Personally, going back to Monterey solved all my issues.  No more Ventura for me until Apple gets this sorted out.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like I shall be reverting to Monterey on my MBP as well. I haven’t encountered the exfat problem yet, because at home I ingest photos to my windows desktop pc. The next time I travel I will want to ingest them via the laptop - one of the major reasons for choosing the laptop i did - because it has an sd card slot. 

1 hour ago, Adam Bonn said:

Is that easy to do?

Pretty easy on the Apple chips. All done through Safemode.  Took me about 1.5 hours but 95% of that was just waiting on Monterey 12.6.2 to download and install. 
https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-downgrade-from-macos-ventura-to-macos-monterey/#How_to_Downgrade_From_macOS_Ventura_to_macOS_Monterey_Using_macOS_Recovery_Mode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ba Erv said:

Pretty easy on the Apple chips. All done through Safemode.  Took me about 1.5 hours but 95% of that was just waiting on Monterey 12.6.2 to download and install. 
https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-downgrade-from-macos-ventura-to-macos-monterey/#How_to_Downgrade_From_macOS_Ventura_to_macOS_Monterey_Using_macOS_Recovery_Mode

Thank you very much. 

So, and I apologise for the constant and probably dumb questions 

once I’ve done that I’d presumably then need to restore my apps/data from time machine?

Could I not restore Monterey from time machine, then afterwards restore data from newer time machine back ups?

In fact the need to restore data newer than the Ventura update is of extreme performance to me.. I can work around this if it’s not possible via time machine (ie if files I created on Ventura won’t successfully restore to Monterey) by manually backing them up before erasing the disk.

So in summary, can I 

1. Restore Monterey from a time machine back up made before Ventura was installed 

2. Restore data from a time machine back up made after Ventura was installed?

If #1 is a no, then can I still deploy  #2 after wiping the disk and downloading Monterey as outlined in your link?

I might just have my old windows hat on here… but there’s a voice in my head that suggests wiping the disk and making a clean Monterey install is the way forward

11 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Sounds like I shall be reverting to Monterey on my MBP as well. I haven’t encountered the exfat problem yet, because at home I ingest photos to my windows desktop pc. The next time I travel I will want to ingest them via the laptop - one of the major reasons for choosing the laptop i did - because it has an sd card slot. 

I've done some reading around on other forums. It seem to be an open question whether this is a deliberate choice by Apple (difficult to believe, but possible) or a bug in Ventura. I'm hoping it's the latter, so, since I don't need to use SD cards in my laptop till the next travel, I shall avoid doing so for the moment (edit all photos and videos on my Windows PC), and look forward to the next OS update. 

28 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

It seem to be an open question whether this is a deliberate choice by Apple (difficult to believe, but possible)

In my little head there's a whiff of apple + flash here where apple has perhaps decided that FAT/exFAT is legacy non grata and now the world needs to respect their decision... 

I'm on the fence about downgrading... bit scared I'll fix one problem but make several more

• Like 1

Thank you very much. 

So, and I apologise for the constant and probably dumb questions 

once I’ve done that I’d presumably then need to restore my apps/data from time machine?

Could I not restore Monterey from time machine, then afterwards restore data from newer time machine back ups?

In fact the need to restore data newer than the Ventura update is of extreme performance to me.. I can work around this if it’s not possible via time machine (ie if files I created on Ventura won’t successfully restore to Monterey) by manually backing them up before erasing the disk.

So in summary, can I 

1. Restore Monterey from a time machine back up made before Ventura was installed 

2. Restore data from a time machine back up made after Ventura was installed?

If #1 is a no, then can I still deploy  #2 after wiping the disk and downloading Monterey as outlined in your link?

I might just have my old windows hat on here… but there’s a voice in my head that suggests wiping the disk and making a clean Monterey install is the way forward

The theory is you should be able to do a restore from your Monterey Time Machine backup.  I'm reticent to tell you a restore from backups made with Ventura would go off without a hitch.  Given the bugs we're seeing in Ventura things just may not go as planned.  Personally, I did a full wipe of the internal SSD and reinstalled Monterey from scratch followed by reinstalling my apps.  Backup data files weren't an issue because I keep that stuff on the iCloud so it's always available to download.  I also keep all photos on external SSDs.  My case may not be the best example for applying a standard because I separate my photography on my laptop from everything else; anything not photo related goes on my iMac.  Ergo, I didn't have to worry about documents, movies, etc; they stayed out of this fray.  I'm going back into Myanmar soon and can't risk having an issue with my laptop in the middle of nowhere.  This may not work in your scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ba Erv said:

The theory is you should be able to do a restore from your Monterey Time Machine backup.  I'm reticent to tell you a restore from backups made with Ventura would go off without a hitch.  Given the bugs we're seeing in Ventura things just may not go as planned.  Personally, I did a full wipe of the internal SSD and reinstalled Monterey from scratch followed by reinstalling my apps.  Backup data files weren't an issue because I keep that stuff on the iCloud so it's always available to download.  I also keep all photos on external SSDs.  My case may not be the best example for applying a standard because I separate my photography on my laptop from everything else; anything not photo related goes on my iMac.  Ergo, I didn't have to worry about documents, movies, etc; they stayed out of this fray.  I'm going back into Myanmar soon and can't risk having an issue with my laptop in the middle of nowhere.  This may not work in your scenario.

Thanks

This morning I made a manual back up of everything that's data and important since Ventura... (I think and hope)

I'm currently running a TM back up

I'm starting to think that I should try first a Monterey restore from TM and if that goes badly then try the fresh install... way I figure it is that a disk wipe/fresh install should always start afresh, so I've nothing to really lose... unless I'm misunderstanding TM's ability to restore specific files on an ad-hoc basis...

Thanks

This morning I made a manual back up of everything that's data and important since Ventura... (I think and hope)

I'm currently running a TM back up

I'm starting to think that I should try first a Monterey restore from TM and if that goes badly then try the fresh install... way I figure it is that a disk wipe/fresh install should always start afresh, so I've nothing to really lose... unless I'm misunderstanding TM's ability to restore specific files on an ad-hoc basis...

Hope it goes well...give it your best shot.

Adam, As regards slow import:

- on import LR makes a Preview (for use in the library mode). Now my fun part 😙 : The Mac (in my case Studio, also iMac etc) uses a scaled screen mode. That means not all pixels are 'in use'. You see a smaller-resolution than you have bought. OK 🤕 : so the preview that is built during import does not need the 5120 pixels of e.g. 27" screen width at all. Just a waste of time. And space. Try with 'normal size'.

- And to speed things up: you can "Set up watched folders": that is a folder in which you move the images from the SD card; from that LR will detect an addition in that folder and import them automatically - but from there you have to move it to the right place. Then no additional work is done while importing

• (Although I think the maybe 100 Mb/s speed of a regular card is the biggest bottleneck in the whole series of steps). Modern Apple card readers support up to 250MB/s of data transfer. Some external ones reach 350.

- Then you have to look at the backup you make of the import: that disk must at least have SATA speed (500 Mb/s). I have a fast external WD spinning disk. This can easily be the biggest bottleneck in import. Recently I saw (using BlackMagic toolkit) that some cable/box combinations for the computer to resort to very slow speeds. So test the combo.

• Thanks 2