Lightroom and MacOS Ventura 13 Compatibility

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Alberti said:

(Although I think the maybe 100 Mb/s speed of a regular card is the biggest bottleneck in the whole series of steps). Modern Apple card readers support up to 250MB/s of data transfer. Some external ones reach 350.

I am going a little off topic here, but it is time for Leica to transition to CFexpress cards.  I know folks own lots of SD cards and I know CFexpress cards are expensive.  But the rest of the professional camera market has transitioned to CFexpress cards.  Speed no longer would be an issue.

Here is a CFexpress card reader that transfers data at extreme rates.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/sf3-cfexpress-xqd-reader/overview.html

1 hour ago, Alberti said:

Adam, As regards slow import:

That's great info, thank you.

But I'm sure that it's all a Ventura issue as it wasn't slow before...

I've just 'downgraded' (sic) back to Monterey... But for reference my exFat 32gb UHS-ii card got a write speed of 8.8mb/s (yes eight) on Ventura and the same card in my windows laptop (circa 2018 spec), with the same card reader got 200-something.. (nearly twice the read speed too)

I'm now just going through the truly painful bit of manually updating the parts that I didn't back up from time machine (I decided not to restore a Ventura back up to Monterey, and I can always fish out the occasional missed/updated file I find I don't have via the finder from the Ventura TM back up I made right before reinstalling Monterey), but I'm sure that Monterey is better for me.

Look at this thread... some folks having one type of issue with Ventura, some folks are having another (eg slow exFAT drives Vs no exFAT drive access at all) - it's not even consistent..

Frankly Ventura can go f**k itself

• Like 1

May I come in here with 2 things:

1) My Mac Studio has an SD card slot in front. I presume that it is to read SD cards that come from cameras and that are all formatted exFAT as the cards from Leica M11 are. When I insert my SD card into that slot in order to load the photographs into Lightroom then that works very well on my new Studio machine anyway. I mention this as I presume that reading these SD cards works on most Apple machines as it does on mine.

2) @Adam Bonn You want to re-install your old OS from TimeMachine. Could that not mean that you re-install all defects that causes your problems. Should you not instead follow the instructions as described in the links above? Download the old OS and re-install. This would be according to Apple process.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Adam Bonn:

Look at this thread... some folks having one type of issue with Ventura, some folks are having another (eg slow exFAT drives Vs no exFAT drive access at all) - it's not even consistent..

You are right. That is why I decided to make a fully new installation on my new Mac Studio: I did not buy the new machine and set it up using time machine (which in my case I could not do anyway). Maybe that is the reason why my machine works without any issues. I hope that my view is not to simple. But it might encourage you to start from scratch.

But then of course you have to dive deeply into how to migrate Lightroom as most important files (like your presets etc.) are spread all around the machine. It took me at least one day to google 100 article describing that process. . . .

Edited by M11 for me

@M11 for me

I couldn't coax MacOS to downgrade OS via TM..

...so what I did (sorry maybe I wasn't clear on this in my posts)

I completely wiped my Mac Drive

I made a 100% fresh install of Monterey, downloaded from apple

I restored my apps and data from my most recent (circa end of October) pre-Ventura TM back up

Before I did any of this I made a TM back up

After I'd returned my mac to it's end of October state, I then manually restored various LR things, other files, photos, presets etc from the TM back up I made before the disk wipe

I might have lost some LR edits, but it's all basically there... luckily I have a reasonable working knowledge of where LR keeps stuff, so I was able to back up and restore all my custom presets and profiles! Ironically I'd recently done a big clean out of all of that, so after the restore I found myself deleting more stuff than I was restoring

Sure no doubt some weeks for now I'll find some pdf manual or something I forgot to restore, but it's going to be on the TM back up from this morning, or I'm not going to notice it's missing so either way I'm all kool and kang about it !!

It just took some hours... not that I sat there watching it, but it wasn't a quick process... the Monterey reinstall was ok (an hour maybe), but the data restore was a long process

But first thing I did was tested an SD card and the speed is back and the errors are gone, I don't use exFAT HDD drives enough to care about that but the SD thing was bugging the crap outta me and now it's fixed

No more of this

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is why (for me) Ventura had to unexpectedly go and f**k itself.

No regrets now and Mac lesson learned for a (relative) Mac noob - don't install new OSs. Wait.

• Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 7 Stunden schrieb M11 for me:

But then of course you have to dive deeply into how to migrate Lightroom as most important files (like your presets etc.) are spread all around the machine. It took me at least one day to google 100 article describing that process. . . .

Can You share Your experience. I would like to know where my relevant presets are after the many changes in Lightroom. 

10 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

Thank you Adam!  Your posting this experience has probably saved what little hair I have left.  I was considering upgrading to Ventura on my MBP but will be waiting now until this gets sorted and maybe even a while longer. 

I got the lead from Bra Erv

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Adam Bonn:

@M11 for me

I couldn't coax MacOS to downgrade OS via TM..

...so what I did (sorry maybe I wasn't clear on this in my posts)

I completely wiped my Mac Drive

I made a 100% fresh install of Monterey, downloaded from apple

I restored my apps and data from my most recent (circa end of October) pre-Ventura TM back up

Before I did any of this I made a TM back up

After I'd returned my mac to it's end of October state, I then manually restored various LR things, other files, photos, presets etc from the TM back up I made before the disk wipe

I might have lost some LR edits, but it's all basically there... luckily I have a reasonable working knowledge of where LR keeps stuff, so I was able to back up and restore all my custom presets and profiles! Ironically I'd recently done a big clean out of all of that, so after the restore I found myself deleting more stuff than I was restoring

Sure no doubt some weeks for now I'll find some pdf manual or something I forgot to restore, but it's going to be on the TM back up from this morning, or I'm not going to notice it's missing so either way I'm all kool and kang about it !!

It just took some hours... not that I sat there watching it, but it wasn't a quick process... the Monterey reinstall was ok (an hour maybe), but the data restore was a long process

But first thing I did was tested an SD card and the speed is back and the errors are gone, I don't use exFAT HDD drives enough to care about that but the SD thing was bugging the crap outta me and now it's fixed

No more of this

This is why (for me) Ventura had to unexpectedly go and f**k itself.

No regrets now and Mac lesson learned for a (relative) Mac noob - don't install new OSs. Wait.

So congratulations. I started to feel fully with you. I've done it just recently. Just a detail: I am on Ventura now with fully newly installed Mac and full new installed Lightroom (from Creative Cloud) with all its problems copying the right files. The only program I could not restore any more was Microsoft Office. I had no more access data so this one I had to buy new. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb elmars:

Can You share Your experience. I would like to know where my relevant presets are after the many changes in Lightroom. 

Hallo Elmar

First I did the following:

1) On that most important point I almost struggled because I could not find USER>my NAME>LIBRARY. You get access by going to Finder>GoTo Then click on it and at the same time press the OPTION Key: Then it appears: Press on LIBRARY. Be aware that we have 2 Libraries

2) I moved everything I need out to an external drive. In order to be able to move all copied files to the right place on your new computer or after newly setting it up (as Adam did) then create clever folders on your external drive: Name them the same as the the paths the data should go back on the new Mac (or cleaned Mac): Example for clever folder-name: Benutzer>MyName>Library>ApplicationSupport . . . . After you have cleaned out your computer you see immediately where you have to drag/drop the files on the new computer

I had no clue when I started and I almost struggled with the 2 points above.

Then you find al to of information on the Web to prepare yourself. Search for:

- How to Transfer Lightroom to a New Computer, or

- migrating Lightroom to new Mac, etc.

You will find:

https://www.phototraces.com/lightroom-tutorials/move-lightroom-catalog-to-new-computer/

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

and a YouTube Video (not very recent) 

It took me hours to prepare myself. But finally everything worked perfectly well. My Lightroom looked the same as before. One thing I feared a lot as I could find almost nothing:

- What about my Plugins: Here mainly SMUGMUG: This is linked to all my photographs ans with the web on the same time. It would habe been a "catastrophe" if that plugin would not have worked properly anymore: But it was phantasmic. I could connect it and it built up all by itself: No problem. As before.

And a last thing: Go to the Adobe Settings

I digged again in the issue of slow loading. What cables? Which sockets? I Used BlackMagic as tool. I looked at the end of the line; not the reader.

test - with a Orico USB-C SSD drive fit for M2 Pcie 3x4, with a card where the factory said 'up to 2.700 Mbs'.

1. When I use the housing with a standard (?) U-Green  USB-C cable in a 10Gbs slot, the result in Blackmagic is an astonishing 40-50 Mbs write speed and ditto read. So the cable is a power (PD) cable sold as a data transfer cable (or I made a mistake ...) but I have this result on a white and black cable. Horrible. 
  2. When I take a cable that reads '3' and having a thunderbolt sign on it, and insert this in a USB-C 10 Gbs slot, then the speed is still a larmoyant 400 Mbs write.
  3. Then when I take that same cable and insert it in a real Thunderbolt USB-C slot, the result is a rather satisfactory 1.000 Mbs write speed.  

My Yeyi Thunderbolt-3 drive with photos on a 2Tb WD 550 Blue card is 1.800 Mbs write, 2.200 read. A 3 inch Yeyi 40Gbs cable. Slightly better than the factory specs ?

And further.

• My back-up disk (WD3.5"  6Tb spinning, SATA house) used to be 450 Mbs on my iMac in a USB-3.1 slot (up to 5 Gbs speed?) as I remember. It is formatted as MacOs Journalled, so HFS. I do not like APFS in a HDD. 
  • but now on the Studio the same disk is a slow 155 Mbs, same cable as it was in the USB 3.1 slot. Go figure. It is a large square USB cable I have no replacement for.

So it is clear to me, cables, drives and slots need to be matched and every connection has to be checked. Even rather often. I advice not trusting any on just blue eyes. 

Edited by Alberti
  • Thanks 1

As regards my move to a new computer: I have all content files externa. I used the time machine. 

The new computer came as Monterey, and stayed like that for a day. In the mean time Adobe figured things out and prompted me to update some programs. That went fine. 

My Office also went over fine, they need the original activation code which they will email again (very nice). 

Then I ventured into Ventura. I've had no problems what so ever. 

[The only hardware issue I have is that when I change plugs on the output (USB-C of USB-A), another drive might get disconnected... ]

vor 1 Stunde schrieb M11 for me:

Hallo Elmar

First I did the following:

1) On that most important point I almost struggled because I could not find USER>my NAME>LIBRARY. You get access by going to Finder>GoTo Then click on it and at the same time press the OPTION Key: Then it appears: Press on LIBRARY. Be aware that we have 2 Libraries

2) I moved everything I need out to an external drive. In order to be able to move all copied files to the right place on your new computer or after newly setting it up (as Adam did) then create clever folders on your external drive: Name them the same as the the paths the data should go back on the new Mac (or cleaned Mac): Example for clever folder-name: Benutzer>MyName>Library>ApplicationSupport . . . . After you have cleaned out your computer you see immediately where you have to drag/drop the files on the new computer

I had no clue when I started and I almost struggled with the 2 points above.

Then you find al to of information on the Web to prepare yourself. Search for:

- How to Transfer Lightroom to a New Computer, or

- migrating Lightroom to new Mac, etc.

You will find:

https://www.phototraces.com/lightroom-tutorials/move-lightroom-catalog-to-new-computer/

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

and a YouTube Video (not very recent) 

It took me hours to prepare myself. But finally everything worked perfectly well. My Lightroom looked the same as before. One thing I feared a lot as I could find almost nothing:

- What about my Plugins: Here mainly SMUGMUG: This is linked to all my photographs ans with the web on the same time. It would habe been a "catastrophe" if that plugin would not have worked properly anymore: But it was phantasmic. I could connect it and it built up all by itself: No problem. As before.

And a last thing: Go to the Adobe Settings

Thank You, that is very helpful, because in the next time I want to have a new computer and set it up new to get rid of old stuff.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Actually it's "Ba" (pronounced Buh)...but thanks for the support 😂

Sorry my bad.. 🙄

But your info spurred me on to bite the bullet and make a clean install of monterey thank you very much 

40 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Sorry my bad.. 🙄

But your info spurred me on to bite the bullet and make a clean install of monterey thank you very much 

No worries.  My retort was just a goof on the spelling error..."Bra", "support".

I'm just glad the downgrade wasn't too difficult and solved the issues.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

No worries.  My retort was just a goof on the spelling error..."Bra", "support".

I'm just glad the downgrade wasn't too difficult and solved the issues.

Seriously I can’t spell for shjt 😅

• Haha 1

When I originally installed Ventura LR offered me an update that I assumed was for the new OS.

When I restored Monterey I also restored the version of LR that I was using at the time, losing about 6 weeks of pictures (they weren't lost, they just weren't in my LR catalogue), I re-added these DNGs to LR of course losing the edits/tags/etc in the process. No great drama as I just got an M10R so most of those images were test shots, profile and preset tests. Stuff like that.

Yesterday LR offered me the same (I think) update that it had on Ventura, whatever it was it also converted my catalogue to "v12" (the same as it had on Ventura)

So I backed this catalogue up, then replaced it with a TM restore of my 'Ventura' LR v12 catalogue.

I now have all my edits etc back, I wasn't too fussed to lose them in the first place, but I'm not all unhappy not to have lost them!

Great for you.

The Lightroom Classic Version 12 had actually not to do with Ventura. And with a new version Lightroom normally gives you a new catalogue with new name. But old catalogues normally still work. Or catalog 12 would work on Lightroom 11.x when you disregard the latest functions on V12 of LR.

Then LR 12.1 is mainly bug fixing. 

You could have easily taken catalogue 12 from the beginning (including all you latest photographs). You could avoid a lot of stress I presume. 

For me the learning courve gets very steep with such a bunch of problems as I recently had. This is then the good side of the medal.

Hope you stay happy with Apple.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

You could have easily taken catalogue 12 from the beginning (including all you latest photographs). You could avoid a lot of stress I presume.

I didn't know that so i decided to play it safe... Wasn't really much stress losing some edits, but I'm happier with them!

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

Hope you stay happy with Apple

I didn't make a screen shot, but I promise this exact UHS-ii card, in the same exact reader on the exact same MBP scored a write of 8 mb/s and a read of about 100 mb/s on Ventura.

I just ran that test again with the Monterey OS

Yeah happy with my MBP again!! (a bit vexed how it writes quicker than it reads!)

Also more importantly I imported 70 M10R DNGs into LR and it was as quick as to be expected... with no error messages.

It's a bit of a headf*ck er headache to be honest, because I updated to Ventura at the end of October, then bought an M10R on November 10th, so I had some time thinking wow I know the M10R files are bigger than my M10 ones and will be slower, but jeez really this bad? before I sorta realised plenty of folks were having Ventura issues!

Now I just need to decide if to use the UHS-ii card which seems to make the camera a bit slower to start, but makes the DNGs about 5 times faster to import, or the UHS-i card that's a bit quicker in the camera!

(First world problems as it doesn't really matter either way - a couple of tenths of boot up time won't miss a shot and once the DNGs are on the MBP it doesn't matter how long they took to get there!!!)

• Thanks 1