Lightroom and MacOS Ventura 13 Compatibility

I usually wait until the .2 version of new software. 

So if I could upgrade (mid 2014 MacBook Pro) it would be macOS 13.2

The .1 version fixes the original bugs and the .2 version fixes the bugs introduced in the .1 version

Edited by OThomas

Some observations:

1) I encounter random lockup problems with the latest LR Classic 12.0.1 and MacOS Ventura when importing files from the internal memory of my M11 over usb-c.  Even a force quit of LR does not seem to work.  A full Mac restart is the only way to be able to use LR again.  It is random though.

2) after the latest LR & Adobe Camera Raw update you finally see a preview of your dng (or jpg) in the import interface.  Thanks Adobe, that took you 10 months to fix this. On the other hand, loading the content of your card or M11 via usb-c in the same import interface seems a factor 10 slower than it used to be.  Building the preview of roughly 100 images takes now minutes.  So please give me back the old “frustrating” but faster “preview” (where there was nothing to “preview”), but at least you could start your import after a dozen of seconds.  

It puzzles me that Adobe seems to never take the time to evaluate the implications of a new OS during the beta period, and is always months behind in keeping up with new basic features.  It is not that their software is a freebie.  

- end rant mode - 😀

Edited by Stef63

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will wait for my Ventura update until the availability of the next or even after next version. Even though the 12.0.1 version should solve the problem with external drives. At the monent I am too dependant an a well working Mac. On the other hand we do not read about too many problems with either upgrade, Ventura or LR Classic 12. Maybe I am too careful this time. But I encountered terrible incompatibility problems with former updates. We forget so fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evikne said:

My MacBook Pro is too old (2013) for the latest update. I hope I don't miss any useful new features.

No, you don't. I updated - as usual - when the new version came out. I was not able to see any differences yet - besides that VueScan Frame Offset became really weird, though that may be caused by a VueScan update which came at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 3:11 PM, Stef63 said:

On the other hand, loading the content of your card or M11 via usb-c in the same import interface seems a factor 10 slower than it used to be.  Building the preview of roughly 100 images takes now minutes.

I think this is a macOS issue, I'm seeing the same just using finder and the same cards and card readers work great on a Monteray system.

-Thomas

However: I have updated to Ventura and nothing works anymore: No mail, no Safari, no connection to apple ID. Big mess.

I decided to get a replacement of my 2017 Mac. It has 4TB SSD that were NOT from Apple and I fear that the whole problem is due to an incompatibility. However the Apple Support can not help

Then I wonder if I should get the Studio or the Mini? 

Further I saw that there is no need for internal 4 or even 8 TB SSD. Its probably easier to go with 2TB and the rest with external disk drives.

I searched for Mac configurations in the forum but could not find anything . . .

I amactually interested in users that have a Lightroom configuration with Smugmug Plugin and have movedto a new Mac. Are the articles that tell youhow to proceed?

Edited by M11 for me

If I were replacing my iMac today and if money was a secondary concern I'd be looking at a Mac Studio and probably the BenQ SW271C.  Not the Ultra model. I would update internal storage to at least 1TB. And maybe max out the RAM since it is not user upgradable.  If I wanted to throw more money at the setup I'd look at an Eizo monitor instead of the BenQ.  If I did a lot of video editing (and had the extra cash) I'd think about the Ultra model.

Just one opinion.  And an opinion that might change when it comes time for me to start spending my own money  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might like the 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max. I use it for everything from LR and C1 to heavy video editing and it delivers.

The sheer power and effortless of handling of images is amazing, but the screen is the gem of that computer. If 16” are enough for you it will be a highly satisfying experience. Plus, you can have it lugged around everywhere. Not tied to a location when editing photos and video is freeing. 

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 3:42 AM, hansvons said:

You might like the 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max. I use it for everything from LR and C1 to heavy video editing and it delivers.

The sheer power and effortless of handling of images is amazing, but the screen is the gem of that computer. If 16” are enough for you it will be a highly satisfying experience. Plus, you can have it lugged around everywhere. Not tied to a location when editing photos and video is freeing. 

This is the way. The new M1 MBP's are so powerful, there really is no need for a desktop anymore. So much more versatility with the laptop.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 8:15 PM, marchyman said:

Lightroom Classic known issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/known-issues.html

If your catalog is on an external device do NOT upgrade to Ventura, yet.

It ismpossible not to have an external catalogue (and raw file storage): with the current pricing, even 512Gb is only available in the top range Apple machines. No place for a catalogue.

Maybe the single catalogue concept is out of date? It is something from large HDD’s.

Edited by Alberti
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 2:31 AM, M11 for me said:

Here my question again: What Mac and what configuration would you suggest when using it mainly for Lightroom.

Bought the 24 inch iMac with 16GB Ram and the 2TB SSD with the M1 processor.  My main use is editing in LR Classic (subscription model).  Very quick when dealing with large DNG files for processing in LR Classic and Photoshop.  M1 chip does not require the large RAM capacity and is maxed out at 16GB.  I cull a lot of images over time and therefore don't require more storage only backup with Time Machine.

• Like 1

I have reread the text on problems of LR with external storage and the catalogue: I understand now it is about external storage such as on a NAS; this in contrast to local attached storage (that I like many have).

My main useLR. (it was the m10rfor though)

- I have my eyes set on the studio. I hope this will be upgradable with the empty SSD slot (but as 2017 iMac fusion/retina user I am very sceptical about Apple’s capability to give a life-time user experience)
- the 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max is interesting. But the equivalent M1 MAX is also available as 512Gb/32Gb just less connectivity. And a hefty price.

I undersood that my 28 inch Mac ( u years old) had severe HW problems. I had to replace it. I bought a new Sudio. Before I did that I tested (which I never did before) what effect it had when storing my data (photographs) on an external drive. I realized that the speed of working in Lightroom is felt the same. Up to now I had a 4TB SSD machine and now I decided for a ½ TB SSD machine only. All my data I have now on external drives. It seems that there are no problems. I am very happy.

And I decided for the Sudio display. With all the problems I had with my "old" Mac I did not want to go outside the Apple world. The new screen looks very nice in my office and I still use the Spyder 5 Pro tool.