lens selector off?

geotrupede

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use several uncoded Zeiss and Voigtlander M mount lenses and some Leica lenses with 6 bit code. I generally do not want the M11 camera to impose a code with non-Leica lenses and switch off the lens code when using them. But if I mount a Leica coded lens for a few photos, then switch back to a non-coded lens, the camera keeps the last coded lens' code active, and I have to remember to manually switch coding off. I wish the M11 would switch off detection, like my older Leica M-P digital body does, rather than misapplying a code that could damage the DNG files, which seems to result in color casts in the corners of such miscoded images. 

On 10/4/2022 at 9:24 AM, charlesphoto99 said:

This is also an M10-R bug. I only have one uncoded lens (90mm Elmarit-M), but it drives me crazy as it always resets to auto and "R adapter" vs the manual entry. 

Today I was taking a few photos and had mounted an uncoded 50mm which I had previously set manually.  I then changed to a coded 24mm and the camera recognized its code as it should.  After a bit I mounted a uncoded 35mm and when checking the menu I found that the camera selected the last uncoded lens I had used, the 50mm.  That tells me that it somehow remembers what was attached last if uncoded and selects it?  Of course I did a manual change and set it to what was mounted.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the OPs issue but that's how my m10r reacted today...tomorrow it may be different.

The summary is:

if the lens reader is set to OFF so it should stay.

Amen.

Instead the reader is never off, it pretends, and once a lens has a code it is acknowledged but then if an uncoded lens is used the mess start. very annoying as one practically speaking must always set the lens, which I never ever bother with

G.

On 10/5/2022 at 10:05 PM, Siriusone59 said:

Today I was taking a few photos and had mounted an uncoded 50mm which I had previously set manually.  I then changed to a coded 24mm and the camera recognized its code as it should.  After a bit I mounted a uncoded 35mm and when checking the menu I found that the camera selected the last uncoded lens I had used, the 50mm.  That tells me that it somehow remembers what was attached last if uncoded and selects it?  Of course I did a manual change and set it to what was mounted.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the OPs issue but that's how my m10r reacted today...tomorrow it may be different.

yes that is how it is intended to work. most people one have have a few not coded lenses, so that helps to go back to that.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/9/2022 at 3:18 PM, geotrupede said:

I miss the less refined logic of the M9 series where OFF meant OFF 😉

Seriously. This camera behavior is dumb. It makes me want to avoid putting Leica lenses on my M11. I may just stick with Zeiss and Voigtlander.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sdk said:

Seriously. This camera behavior is dumb. It makes me want to avoid putting Leica lenses on my M11. I may just stick with Zeiss and Voigtlander.

Problems come with uncoded lenses, not coded ones so ZM and VM lenses are the worse candidates if you don't hand code them properly. Suffice it to set up a User profile for uncoded lenses and all should work perfectly. At least works fine for me.  

1 hour ago, lct said:

Problems come with uncoded lenses, not coded ones so ZM and VM lenses are the worse candidates if you don't hand code them properly. Suffice it to set up a User profile for uncoded lenses and all should work perfectly. At least works fine for me.  

Coding Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses is a poor solution to the problem, because it leads to degraded performance, such as color casts in the corners that is worse than coding being off. Leicas chosen default behavior for color profiles when switching from a coded lens to an uncoded lens is damaging. They should have left the implementation as it was with the M9 and M series digital bodies. Off should stay off.

• Thanks 1

You don't have to code your ZM or VM lenses if you don't want or need to. Don't code them and they will ne treated as is i.e. uncoded lenses. It is for them that i suggested to sep up a User profile previously. I mean for now as a firmware update is expected. Little chance he M11 will revert to ancient features though.