Q3 won't power off

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, LeicaQ3 said:

@MindsEye I communicated with the technical manager for Leica, not a customer service rep, so I trust the information he provided.  It turns out that the new memory card only resolved the issue temporarily, though.  After a week of no freezes, the problem started up again despite the new, faster SD card.  I, like other Q3 owners, am now waiting for new firmware to permanently resolve the issue.

@LeicaQ3 Thanks for the update! Good to know the information is solid. I was going to try switching cards for awhile to see if the problem persists but I think I'll wait for the firmware. Based on the rest of the discussion there is clearly some issue.

• 7 months later...

I received my Q3 at the end of August, but did not use it heavily untill  this month.  I have just had this happen 3 times in the last 2 weeks (After switching the camera off the rear screen remains on and appears to be functioning as the line level moves with the camera.  On turning the camera back on, all other functions are frozen.  Removing the battery fixed the issue). I have the recommended SD card and current firmware. 

I have also experienced another odd occurence when photographing a very contrasty subject.  The lens hunted back and forth a few times, but I held down the shutter button and it eventually took the photo which appeared fine. 🤔 

I've reset the camera and not had the issue since 🤞

Something bizzare happened with my Q3 yesterday and my guess is its OS is based on the same main branch (M11) but branched out specifically for the Q3. I did a simply battery level check so I switched the Q3 camera on, saw the battery level and I immediately switched the camera off with the result that the camera stayed powered on no matter what I did. The camera was totally not reacting to the the power on/off switch. Switched in off, on, off, on... no reaction. Only a simple battery pop out and insert it back in was the solution. 

After that I switched on the camera and after it was fully on as in full operable a message is displayed that the SD Card is in read-only mode. 

So the entire boot up sequence of the OS with the SD Card check takes so long that the OS can get stuck. This should never happen. For me this is telling how the OS is built, programmed and the whole platform is tested (I am working in the IT and also software programmer). 

I tried this same scenario on my M11 and there is probably a function in its firmware which prevents the hang up of the camera OS that occurs on the Q3.

Edited by R4p70r

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It happened to me once a few weeks ago.  I had to take the battery out and reset.  I attributed this to connection with the Leica Fotos App.  Now I disconnect the camera when I'm done with the app.  Not sure if this was the cause, but hasn't happened (freeze) again.