Film slipped off IXMOO spool

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently started bulk loading and picked up several IXMOOs. It's been an adventure learning how they work, and I've sorted out most of the issues I've run into so far (mostly scratches). But at the end of today's roll, the film slipped out of the spool and stayed in the camera. It didn't tear but came clean out. Any thoughts on why this happened and/or how to prevent it in the future? I set the spool aside and tested it when I got home. I was able to get the film to pull out with a sturdy yank. Is this spool finished or is there something I can do to repair it?

Posted (edited)

I have been using Leica reloadable cassettes for decades. They are all old and the tiny grip inside can get worn. You can take the cover screws out and clean up the grip bar but it is very small. If the film slips out just use a bit of tape to fix the film onto the spool as you would on any other cassette.

The Contax/Nikon cassettes are a better design to handle as the two shells both come apart so that you can attach the film to the spool and then out each shell  on, unlike the Leica cassette where you have to feed the film into the open mouth. You can just fit a piece of tape onto the spool if you try.

Sometimes when you tear off the film ready to develop the bit left in the spool is too small to grip and pull out from the other side. I try to leave enough on the roll side to push the little bit through enough to get hold of and pull it out. The grip inside the spool is a simple design of a serrated bar that jams when pulled in one direction and not in the other.

Edited by Pyrogallol

20 hours ago, madNbad said:

The link leads to a blank page for me, but I've watched a few tutorials on loading the IXMOO. There was plenty of film through the spool, so it must be the grip bar getting old/dirty.

20 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

I have been using Leica reloadable cassettes for decades. They are all old and the tiny grip inside can get worn. You can take the cover screws out and clean up the grip bar but it is very small. If the film slips out just use a bit of tape to fix the film onto the spool as you would on any other cassette.

The Contax/Nikon cassettes are a better design to handle as the two shells both come apart so that you can attach the film to the spool and then out each shell  on, unlike the Leica cassette where you have to feed the film into the open mouth. You can just fit a piece of tape onto the spool if you try.

Sometimes when you tear off the film ready to develop the bit left in the spool is too small to grip and pull out from the other side. I try to leave enough on the roll side to push the little bit through enough to get hold of and pull it out. The grip inside the spool is a simple design of a serrated bar that jams when pulled in one direction and not in the other.

Thanks for these tips. I'll try unscrewing and seeing if I can clean up the grip bar. If all else fails I'll just tape to the reel as you advise. I'm really enjoying the system, just having to work through the newness until I'm comfortable with the routine.