Is it true? Does one need one native lens?

Olaf_ZG

• 10 months later...

So, after almost one year I revive my thread. I bought the apo35 but it was a mistake. Not because of the lens, it was my fault.

First, I am a fifties person, should have maybe bought a slightly narrower lens. But more important, when I use AF, I often also want a flexible FL, in other words, to me, with AF I want zoom, as that gives me the ultimate flexibility.

Somehow, the perfection of the 35apo is waisted on me, and though it renders great, other lenses do may be better.

So I decided to sell my only native lens, and use the SL with two zooms, m-lenses and may be non-native primes via the sigma adapter.

• Like 3

That’s a pity.  The APO SL Lenses are the SL line’s USP.  Yes, the SL bodies are enjoyable to use, but there is better value in, eg, Sony bodies if you are going to use other lenses anyway.  They may be less nice to use, but they are lighter, generally have better AF, slightly better sensors, etc.

Am 15.9.2023 um 22:18 schrieb Olaf_ZG:

So, after almost one year I revive my thread. I bought the apo35 but it was a mistake. Not because of the lens, it was my fault.

First, I am a fifties person, should have maybe bought a slightly narrower lens. But more important, when I use AF, I often also want a flexible FL, in other words, to me, with AF I want zoom, as that gives me the ultimate flexibility.

Somehow, the perfection of the 35apo is waisted on me, and though it renders great, other lenses do may be better.

So I decided to sell my only native lens, and use the SL with two zooms, m-lenses and may be non-native primes via the sigma adapter.

Thanks for the feedback after 1 year.
It's interesting to follow the evolution of everyone's uses and the impact on the equipment.
I really like the SL 601, it's a classic. Since the beginning, I've used it with the 24-90mm. Sometimes with TL 23 and 35mm lenses.
I wanted a native 50mm and bought the Panasonic f1.8. I haven't kept it.

Every system has its pearl and it's different for everyone.

After many years, I've noticed that I always use the same lens 80% of the time.
On the M for me it's the 35mm
On the SL, the Vario around 50mm or at 90mm.
With autofocus, my favorite focal length is 50mm, which encourages me to use the 50mm more on the M...
For the SL, I'm considering buying the 50mm summicron asph. but I'm afraid I'll end up with the rebadged Panasonic.

• Like 1

Am 15.9.2023 um 23:09 schrieb jrp:

That’s a pity.  The APO SL Lenses are the SL line’s USP.  Yes, the SL bodies are enjoyable to use, but there is better value in, eg, Sony bodies if you are going to use other lenses anyway.  They may be less nice to use, but they are lighter, generally have better AF, slightly better sensors, etc.

Everyone has a different experience. For me, the SL2-S gives me much more joy then the Sony A1 or A7III, be it with SL APO lenses or the same Sigma lenses I used on the Sonys. The DNG images from the SL are just different and often require little to no processing. Something that always was a problem with the Sony RAWs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Am 7.10.2023 um 13:38 schrieb Olaf_ZG:

So, the prime is up for sale and just bought the 24-90.

In the end I will have a native lens, just not a prime 😉

The 24-90 is as a good as primes (not the the SL primes) across the frame throughout the range. If it weren’t for its size, I would have never gotten the SL primes. If there is ever a situation where one can‘t change lenses, there are no regrets with leaving it on. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-x8Mwmw/

46 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The 24-90 is as a good as primes (not the the SL primes) across the frame throughout the range. If it weren’t for its size, I would have never gotten the SL primes. If there is ever a situation where one can‘t change lenses, there are no regrets with leaving it on. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-x8Mwmw/

Actually, SL24-90 @ 24mm, wide open, is the best wide angle lens I have seen for astrophoto. Evenly sharp across the frame, negligible optical artefacs at/near the corners. Yes, the image is computationally corrected in camera, but the end result is very, very good.

It could be that I happen to have a particularly well corrected lens, but it is nevertheless a brilliant zoom. That being said, SL50Lux bringes something in addition to the table. As does SL35 and SL75, particularly wide open (these are the two SL primes I have experience with, thinking of getting the SL21 when it eventually materialise...). 

Edited by helged
  • Like 2