Using Elmarit M 135mm f/2.8 without goggles

Sandy Wijaya

Of course they can be removed but the focusing through the rangefinder will be unusable. Better to buy the cheaper R version and use it on a simple adapter.  You save the hassle and won’t have an amputated lend. The optics of M and R are identical. Version 2 is better than version 1 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Of course they can be removed but the focusing through the rangefinder will be unusable. Better to buy the cheaper identical R version and use it on a simple adapter.  

Hi jaapv, 

Thank you for the response...
I have tried Elmarit R 135mm before... satisfied enough with the results.
I'm really curious and wanted to try Elmarit 135 M :) 

Cheers!!

16 minutes ago, Sandy Wijaya said:

Hi jaapv, 

Thank you for the response...
I have tried Elmarit R 135mm before... satisfied enough with the results.
I'm really curious and wanted to try Elmarit 135 M :) 

Cheers!!

You won’t see a difference. It is the same lens. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thury said:

I too should be interested in removing those goggles. How does one proceed ?

I do not have mine at hand now but I cannot remember any screws or other obvious way to remove them.

I have not either but as I recall it involves some dismantling of the mount   

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Thury said:

I too should be interested in removing those goggles. How does one proceed ?

I do not have mine at hand now but I cannot remember any screws or other obvious way to remove them.

From what I have seen, there are some screws that can be dismantled.. :) Not sure yet, how is it working...

2 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Mine has the goggles attached to the M mount, no screws.

Not separable from the mount, so needing replacing the mount.

Doable if another M mount is available and no need to RF focussing.

It will be the same for all versions? It will be a hassle then to replace the mounting... :( Thank you for the response...

As decades old user of Tele-Elmar 135mm, I tend to agree.

I was shy of Elmarit for many years but using it a bit, at f/2.8 which Tele-Elmar doesn't have gives me more

dof control and at close down, the net results are fine for me.

We are weird, as I don't know why when I need 135mm, I grab one of my multiple ( having three from different periods) Tele-Elmar 135.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, a.noctilux said:

As decades old user of Tele-Elmar 135mm, I tend to agree.

I was shy of Elmarit for many years but using it a bit, at f/2.8 which Tele-Elmar doesn't have gives me more

dof control and at close down, the net results are fine for me.

We are weird, as I don't know why when I need 135mm, I grab one of my multiple ( having three from different periods) Tele-Elmar 135.

Great point... 😀😀

For myself it is quite often to pick 135mm in the field, as I'm dealing with cultural activities that we need to keep some distance. 

f/2.8 is a "bonus" of course... Sometimes you might need it but not as a priority. 

FTR I've never actually shot with the 135 2.8 - always been curious though, being the most weight for dollar in the M lineup, lol. I currently use a 135 APO (out for repair at DAG at the moment) but had Tele-Elmar's in the past,of varying ages (scalloped, non-scalloped, and current body design) which were all fantastic. Unfortunately the last one I had wouldn't focus the rf on my M10 (just mine for some reason) so instead of getting it fixed I found a good deal on the APO. Using mine primarily for 'landscapes' but works well with people, esp if at a slower pace or more stationary. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

FTR I've never actually shot with the 135 2.8 - always been curious though, being the most weight for dollar in the M lineup, lol. I currently use a 135 APO (out for repair at DAG at the moment) but had Tele-Elmar's in the past,of varying ages (scalloped, non-scalloped, and current body design) which were all fantastic. Unfortunately the last one I had wouldn't focus the rf on my M10 (just mine for some reason) so instead of getting it fixed I found a good deal on the APO. Using mine primarily for 'landscapes' but works well with people, esp if at a slower pace or more stationary. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great one Charles… 

My experience for these 10 years, primarily using Elmarit R 135mm.. love the tones and organic sharpness of the optics. 

Cheers! 🍻

Over the years I owned the 135/2.8, the 135/4 Tele-Elmar (early, late  and current versions), and presently own the OLD 135/4 Elmar, which is my go-to 135, because I can use it on both my M body and Barnack bodies, as well as with a Visoflex and on the bellows, and it is nearly as sharp as the others wide open. The 2.8 was too heavy and bulky for a 135 on a Leica body as far as I was concerned. I think that is one reason the price is often fairly low for a Leica lens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spydrxx said:

Over the years I owned the 135/2.8, the 135/4 Tele-Elmar (early, late  and current versions), and presently own the OLD 135/4 Elmar, which is my go-to 135, because I can use it on both my M body and Barnack bodies, as well as with a Visoflex and on the bellows, and it is nearly as sharp as the others wide open. The 2.8 was too heavy and bulky for a 135 on a Leica body as far as I was concerned. I think that is one reason the price is often fairly low for a Leica lens. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences... indeed 2.8 = bulky and quite a cheap price. Depends on the need though, I have browsed the Elmar M 135mm, nice lens... but then again my need will be on for f/2.8 :)