iPhone apps to track your rolls and exposure record ?

grahamc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone 

I've been using the 'notes' in my iPhone for basic exposure notes for each roll, mostly lens used when I remember to note it down.  Useful when I do, and can be a pain when I don't - it bugs me scanning in a nice photo and not remembering which lens I used. 

I seem to remember someone recommending an iPhone app in another area of this forum .   But I didn't take note of the name (ahh the irony). 

Would anyone have any good suggestions for phone Apps that are designed for this please - giving a record of exposure settings and notes for each roll , perhaps 🤔   

Cheers ! 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

I have searched and googled many times for such an app for iOS but have come up with either camera apps or photo manipulation apps. 

After reading this app I did come across MetaLog identified as a “photo and camera data logging” application. This then lead me to Yafra (“your analog film roll app”) and Datafilm (notes for film photographers).  I will look into each of these a little further to learn more, but none of these appear to have a large number of users.  I will track the thread to learn of any additional adds available.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

I have searched and googled many times for such an app for iOS but have come up with either camera apps or photo manipulation apps. 

After reading this app I did come across MetaLog identified as a “photo and camera data logging” application. This then lead me to Yafra (“your analog film roll app”) and Datafilm (notes for film photographers).  I will look into each of these a little further to learn more, but none of these appear to have a large number of users.  I will track the thread to learn of any additional adds available.  

Great, thanks! 

I use Notes on my iPhone to record for every roll of film the date the film was developed, the film type, the cassette #, the ISO, the developer, and the camera and lens I started the roll with. I then note any changes of lens and anything interesting about the subject or lighting conditions for individual frames as I go along. I print all of this information, in a small font size, at the bottom of the "contact" page I print for every roll so there are two copies of the data - one in the iCloud and one hard copy. When one of the two becomes unusable over the years I still have the hard copy. 

I still refer to my father's hand written notes of negatives he shot and developed in the 1930's. How likely is it that data entered into a special purpose iPhone app will still be readable 90 years from now, or even ten years from now? 

I use analog (seldom) and digital (most) cameras. I use myTracks to get the GPS data together with date and time in the field. At home my memory together with Lenstagger adds data in Lightroom.

An app, that would store the data which lens, f-stop and a remark (reason of the picture) are used in the field, would be nice. In case of the lens, of course, only the one out of the set I possess is needed.

How did people do it before apps? Maybe a notepad, or making a note on the negative sheets that can also include date, film, developer, camera, lens, and all done with just a pen? If you post photos onto something like Flickr you can also back up the information by adding tags. 

• Like 2

Datafilm appears to be the best iOS app available at least after a quick look at the three apps I mentioned above. You define your cameras, lenses and film stock. Once that is defined you can create a roll providing a name, camera, lens, film stock and ISO for that roll. Once that is done then you can detail each frame - frame #, f-stop and shutter speed. Under the “more” selection is focus length (assuming zoom), flash indicator, and ability to change lens if its not the same lens used throughout the roll.

Of course the issue is capturing all this data by frame while you’re going through out your day.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ejg1890 said:

Datafilm appears to be the best iOS app available at least after a quick look at the three apps I mentioned above. You define your cameras, lenses and film stock. Once that is defined you can create a roll providing a name, camera, lens, film stock and ISO for that roll. Once that is done then you can detail each frame - frame #, f-stop and shutter speed. Under the “more” selection is focus length (assuming zoom), flash indicator, and ability to change lens if its not the same lens used throughout the roll.

Of course the issue is capturing all this data by frame while you’re going through out your day.  

Perfect this is exactly what I need. I doubt I’d record every frame (in fact I know I won’t) but just having the facility to record important shots for a roll will be great.  Sometimes I’ve shot entire rolls and forgotten what speed I rated the roll, for example. And I definitely find that useful when I see the results. 

I know I would inevitably leave a notepad in the wrong jacket etc etc since I don’t use a camera bag often.

Thanks very much !