Film inventory iPhone App?

ejg1890

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious if anyone is aware go an iPhone app that allows the individual to track or quickly identify what film, type (135, 120, etc) and how many rolls they have available? Its something that I can have on a spreadsheet and I don't have hundreds to thousands of rolls, but it would be nice if I can quickly look something up to determine what to shoot rather than go to the fridge and rummage through the bag of film. I did a quick search and nothing came up, but wanted to see if anyone has found something use.  

I do use an app called Datafilm to track exposed film, type and what camera was used. I have not determine a way for me to use this to track unexposed film, but there may be some convoluted way to use that app.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I use an app called “pocket inventory” for this. Stock taking in its simplest form. You can also add a warning stock level for each item, so it flags when you are at or below that.  

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/pocket-inventory/id1440455104

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 1/1/2023 at 7:59 AM, mikemgb said:

I use an online web app, it works well on both desktop and mobile: https://www.filmtrackr.com/d/

Thanks. I had not heard of this app.  What is the cost? I checked the site and there’s not much information only a register and login button.  I do use a separate app that tracks previous roll taken/exposed. This looks like it could be a single app that deals with both items. 

Edited by ejg1890

On 1/1/2023 at 7:34 AM, grahamc said:

I use an app called “pocket inventory” for this. Stock taking in its simplest form. You can also add a warning stock level for each item, so it flags when you are at or below that.  

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/pocket-inventory/id1440455104

I looked at and downloaded several inventory apps, but didn’t go with anyone of them. Currently I am using a general list app on my phone. I set up one category for film with subcategories for 35/120 and color/BW. Not a great solution as there’s also no integration with other devices. 

18 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

Thanks. I had not heard of this app.  What is the cost? I checked the site and there’s not much information only a register and login button.  I do use a separate app that tracks previous roll taken/exposed. This looks like it could be a single app that deals with both items. 

There is no cost, it’s all online but works well on mobile, I’ve used it for a few years.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also need some better way to manage my film and film use. I am forever forgetting what film I have in what camera. I haven't yet found a way for checking if I've actually loaded a camera. Giving a slight turn to the wind-on sometimes works (to see the cassette side turn a little) but only if you have taken up the tension at the start of the film. And then tracking which camera I used for a particular film after development, when I have batch processed several films from different cameras.

And the same in spades with large format: which film holder has which film type in it. And I need to track exactly which film holder held a sheet after development, so I can tell if there is a light leak with that holder.

One of these apps may help - I'll investigate.

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I also need some better way to manage my film and film use. I am forever forgetting what film I have in what camera. I haven't yet found a way for checking if I've actually loaded a camera.

I find tearing off the logo from the cardboard film packet and sliding it in the hotshoe as a 'cover' works , to remember the film loaded - when I remember to do so of course. I think also the tension of the film can be taken up at any time in the roll by turning the rewind until feel a slight tension.. then in advancing the film the dots (MP etc) or knob (M6 etc) will turn if film is correctly loaded.

I have an app designed to make notes of exposure info etc for each frame of a film inc lens / camera used but found it quite fiddly / tedious so I tend just to make notes in iPhone 'notes' app about which camera / lens I've used for a particular roll.. that tends to be enough for me to refer back to later along with sometimes exposure info for particularly memorable frames or if I was unsure how an exposure may come out I'll note the settings used.  That tends to be enough for me and the inventory app I've mentioned above is great and free.

Edit: Or, if you get into the habit of tensioning the film gently at the start of each roll then the dots or winder knob should always be turning through the roll.  (I do this when loading film now as a matter of habit after a misload where I shot a whole roll before realising the film wasn't travelling).  So my technique to check is now for every roll:

- Put the film leader in the tulip & close baseplate
- Advance & Click (frame counter now at -1)
- Take up the tension and advance 
- Advance and observe the dots turning.  (frame counter now at '0' ready for first frame and I already know the film is correctly travelling 

Sure you know all this but just sharing because it safe guards against misloads and I presume you would also always be able to see easily if there is film by advancing and seeing movement. 

Edited by grahamc

23 minutes ago, grahamc said:

I find tearing off the logo from the cardboard film packet and sliding it in the hotshoe as a 'cover' works , to remember the film loaded - when I remember to do so of course. I think also the tension of the film can be taken up at any time in the roll by turning the rewind until feel a slight tension.. then in advancing the film the dots (MP etc) or knob (M6 etc) will turn if film is correctly loaded.

I have an app designed to make notes of exposure info etc for each frame of a film inc lens / camera used but found it quite fiddly / tedious so I tend just to make notes in iPhone 'notes' app about which camera / lens I've used for a particular roll.. that tends to be enough for me to refer back to later along with sometimes exposure info for particularly memorable frames or if I was unsure how an exposure may come out I'll note the settings used.  That tends to be enough for me and the inventory app I've mentioned above is great and free.

Edit: Or, if you get into the habit of tensioning the film gently at the start of each roll then the dots or winder knob should always be turning through the roll.  (I do this when loading film now as a matter of habit after a misload where I shot a whole roll before realising the film wasn't travelling).  So my technique to check is now for every roll:

- Put the film leader in the tulip 
- Advance & Click (frame counter now at -1)
- Take up the tension and advance 
- Advance and observe the dots turning.  (frame counter now at '0' ready for first frame and I already know the film is correctly travelling 

Sure you know all this but just sharing because it safe guards against misloads and I presume you would also always be able to see easily if there is film by advancing and seeing movement. 

Thanks! I have started to do the same with tensioning the film. 

i had forgotten about the hotshoe - yes, that’s an obvious place to put the cardboard tag. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thanks! I have started to do the same with tensioning the film. 

i had forgotten about the hotshoe - yes, that’s an obvious place to put the cardboard tag. 

Agree about the tensioning as I learned the hard way 👍.   Love this way for peace of mind before the roll has even begun 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grahamc said:

I find tearing off the logo from the cardboard film packet and sliding it in the hotshoe as a 'cover' works , to remember the film loaded - when I remember to do so of course.

I've just realised that two of my Barnacks have external viewfinders in the hotshoes: 2.8cm and 3.5cm. I'll have to think of something else.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 250swb said:

A strip of masking tape on the baseplate is usually good place to note the film you have in the camera, to know how much film you have left, open the fridge.

Yes.

I cut a small piece of the film box and sellotape it to the camera base. Obviously take it off when no film in the camera.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 3:49 PM, 250swb said:

A strip of masking tape on the baseplate is usually good place to note the film you have in the camera, to know how much film you have left, open the fridge.

I’ve been doing something similar. I’ll write the type of film, it’s bot speed and the speed that I plan on shooting. Then I cut the strip and tape it to the base of my M3. Works well and since the M3 is chrome the tape shouldn’t damage the finish.