Leica Aficionados at The Leica Society AGM Weekend April 9/10 2022

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica Society of GB's Annual General Meeting Weekend, 9/10 April  2022, Buxton, UK, welcomed guest presenters and Leica enthusiasts (from L to R) : James Lager ... legendary Leica researcher / historian / author; Lars Netopil ... Vice President Leica Historica, proprietor Lars Netopil Classic Camera, founder & organiser Wetzlar Camera Auctions; Sir David Suchet CBE ... Hon. President The Leica Society and legendary film / stage character actor; Homer Sykes ... renowned people documentary photographer; David Stephens ... well known Leica Premier dealer / Leica Store Manchester Proprietor.  All honoured guests were invited by Chairman of The Leica Society, Tony Cole.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

cont'd ... 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 7

Unfortunately, guest presenter Sarah Lee ... Guardian and Observer newspapers' photographer & Official Leica Ambassador was not present for the Sunday group portrait ... Sarah is pictured at the Saturday lunch when she was singing her praises of the M11's image footprint. 

Photos taken with Leica SL 601 / Panasonic 'L-mount' 20-60mm. 

BW

dunk 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Datsch said:

Looks like it was a good bash. Sarah Lee's 2012 article about how the M-E rekindled her love of photography was one of the main things that first drew me to the M.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/photography-blog/2012/dec/28/leica-m-e-rangefinder-photography

I chatted with Sarah over lunch ... she is SO enthusiastic about Leica rangefinder cameras and their 'unobtrusiveness' when documenting events and people ... And she loves her M11 ... And so obliging to share her 'Leica rangefinder techniques' ... Which during her presentation were illustrated  with her superb images  ... Likely one of the few press photographers who uses a Leica rangefinder almost exclusively ... Could not wish to meet a more charming and skilled press photographer and 'Leica Ambassador' 

dunk 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

I chatted with Sarah over lunch ... she is SO enthusiastic about Leica rangefinder cameras and their 'unobtrusiveness' when documenting events and people ... And she loves her M11 ... And so obliging to share her 'Leica rangefinder techniques' ... Which during her presentation were illustrated  with her superb images  ... Likely one of the few press photographers who uses a Leica rangefinder almost exclusively ... Could not wish to meet a more charming and skilled press photographer and 'Leica Ambassador' 

dunk 

It is very obvious that “Leica” is trying hard to sell the M system; but the problem is that not many people can afford the price of M10-11; and not many people are comfortable with MF.

This is why CL was and is perfect for many and would be missed by many!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Louis said:

It is very obvious that “Leica” is trying hard to sell the M system; but the problem is that not many people can afford the price of M10-11; and not many people are comfortable with MF.

I can't wait to see the new carbon fibre bodied lightweight compact FF 60mp L-mount body  ... with an articulated screen! 

13 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

I can't wait to see the new carbon fibre bodied lightweight compact FF 60mp L-mount body  ... with an articulated screen! 

60mp and articulate screen sound very attractive to me, but I don’t really care about the weight of a compact; I very much prefer a metallic body.

9 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

The first photo is very indicative... Where are youngsters?

And based on recent Leica L mount zoom lens I think that Leica will introduce carbon fibre compact FF camera just few months after Sigma will introduce it.🤣

Edited by Cobram

Great to see you again, Dunk, and thanks for the photo of myself with Sir David Suchet. I had been in the next room discussing vintage Leicas with Jim Lager when I was called out to receive a raffle prize from David. I'll probably get thrown out for not attending the time-honoured raffle!

Speaking of Jim Lager, here he is discussing the settings on his D-Lux with Lars Netopil. It was interesting seeing two of the world's greatest experts on vintage Leicas discussing a humble Pana-Leica. The young man on the right in the first photo is Billy Sinclair, who was one of the younger attendees at the event.

As for discussions on cameras, like most camera societies, there was generally very little discussion on the actual current cameras being used. In the Dublin Camera to which I have belonged for many years it is considered 'infra dig' to discuss cameras rather than photography. With Jim and Lars about, there was inevitably a lot of discussion about vintage Leicas from a collector perspective. Jim said that he had seen a number of items which had not crossed his path before. I may post some of the more interesting items on the vintage forum here.

It was a very enjoyable event and Tony Cole and his team are to be congratulated for continuing the tradition of a warm and friendly meeting after a break of 3 years due to Covid. I am hoping to replicate the same atmosphere at the LHSA - International Leica Society AGM which I am organising in Dublin next October. It will end with a visit to the Guinness Store House, which, if nothing else, should ensure a good atmosphere.

William 

• Like 5

Excellent photos William and pleased to hear JL saw a few 'not seen previously' Leica items ... I have "JL's presentation" pics to process and post. TC will be forwarding the group portrait to Sir DS, JL, Lars, DS and HS. 

BW

dunk 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Louis said:

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:03 AM, dkCambridgeshire said:

+1

• 5 months later...