Any good close focus adapters for M lens to M camera or SL2-S?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The ability of the new 35mm APO to focus down to .3M is very appealing to me, and I am wondering if I can achieve something similar with the 50mm APO or 28mm Summilux on my M11 or SL2-S with a close-focus adapter.  Anyone have any experience with one that they can recommend?

Thanks!

Peter

The Leica macro adapter is a very nicely made (and costly) helicoid extension designed specifically for the Macro-Elmar-M 90 f4 lens. It maintains the ability to focus this lens at infinity when used in its collapsed position. Other M lenses will lose the ability for infinity focus. While it should work fine on an SL series camera with the addition of an M-L adapter, I've not tried tried it. The Haoge macro adapter linked above is not as robust (it is well made but not to the level of expensive Leica adapters) but since it retains lens functionality at infinity, it is quite versatile for a quick foray into close focus.

The various L-mount lens adapters allow mounting a wide selection of legacy macro lenses on the SL series (ie: APO Macro-R lenses) and with their excellent EVF they are a great platform for macro shooting.

I had purchased a used Leica macro adapter (14652) some time back with the intention of buying the Macro-Elmar 90... but I have an Elmarit-M 90 that I like and never followed through on the f4 lens. I hadn't thought much about the adapter recently, until this thread appeared. I decided to give it a try with my Summilux-M 50 asph and VM Apo-Lanthar 50 on the Leica SL2-S. The adapter is very well built - the helicoid movement is smooth and secure. I didn't measure precisely but I think it is possible to reach a reproduction ratio close to 1:1 and perhaps a little larger. 

The subject is the first azalea blossom of spring, shot indoors. Adjustments made to shadows and highlights, not much else.

This is the summilux at f1.4, handheld at 1/30, ISO 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summilux at f8 (I think), 1/30, ISO 6400

Voigtlander VM Apo-Lanthar 50 at f11 (or maybe f16), 1/25, ISO 12500

Edited by Alan Friedman
  • Thanks 1

I have an oufro which works well- but for most macro Jobs I use SLR macro lenses with an adapter

summilux 35 with Oufro

Macro Nikkor or Takumar lenses are good options- so much better than using an adapter I find- and the lenses can be focused to infinity. I used a Vivitar Auto Macro 55mm lens for these shots:

Edited by jaques

There is a cheap and efficient solution from K&F : a simple Leica M 10mm fixed extension ring (there is also a 8mm one) :
K&F M36291 Leica M Lenses to Leica M Mount M-EXT 10mm Adapter

(I have no relation to K&F, web link as an illustration only). Some Leica dealers like Jo Geier may stock them.
It works well for me as it replaces the much more expensive Leica OUFRO/16469. It fits Leica and Voigtländer lenses while my 16469Y does not accept the Voigtländer lenses. Fine focus with the lens helical, as usual.
  • Thanks 1

On occasion when I want to get close to the subject then M lens allows I use K&F Concept 8mm and 10mm extension adapters or combine 18mm extension. Adapters are nicely made and not too expensive. Magnification formula is as follow: 50mm lens and 10mm extension: 10:50 = 0.2, for your 28mm lens 10:28 = 0.35 or 18:28=0.64 

Never really used a close focus adapter, as removing the lens to fix or remove the adapter, is cumbersome in the field, where dust can enter the camera.

For the rare occasions I need close focus, I just use a close focus filter and focus using the M10-P screen.  This is not an issue as most of my lenses are 46mm or stepped up from 39-46mm.