Build quality of New M-A

Guys, just a reminder that a camera that is not hollow inside is not a proper camera as there is no way that light will properly reach and expose the film. :)

Jokes aside, my M-A is from 2020 and it has been pure mechanical excellence from day one. The good thing about buying new from a reputable Leica dealer is that if there are indeed problems with a new camera, they will replace it almost no questions asked.

7 hours ago, wattsy said:

Well, I guess the M-A is missing the metering circuitry so, given the same body shell and less stuff inside, it must be more hollow than an MP. 😂

I've just heard from Leica who said that the hole in my son's first new M-A is for pumping insulation foam into the body to make it less hollow and the detachable shutter blind on his second new M-A is to make it quieter.

His third new M-A works and sounds perfectly well.  Must be something wrong with it.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bought my 2022 m-a off rangefinderHK and had issues with the leatherette and slow shutter speed mechanism w/ no post fire clockwork sound. Talked to Alex and got a replacement right away (awesome customer service btw) Mechanically wise, the replacement so far seems to be fine. However there is also another minor cosmetic issue. The body's rubber coating/paint behind the film door is peeling. Not a big deal though since it's only cosmetics. I've had worse brand new Leica cameras.. (see below)

Now my MP I purchased in 2021, has a built in panorama mode... Usually happens on frame 15-20 (mid roll). Only two pictures becomes slightly combined. If I time it right, I can make a panoramic photo without doing any post work. The store I bought it off from (TheCameraStore) refused and denied me a replacement even thought this camera was brand new. Eventually I'll just send it into Leica for repair under warranty. 

Edited by 69xchange
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 69xchange said:

Bought my 2022 m-a off rangefinderHK and had issues with the leatherette and slow shutter speed mechanism w/ no post fire clockwork sound. Talked to Alex and got a replacement right away (awesome customer service btw) Mechanically wise, the replacement so far seems to be fine. However there is also another minor cosmetic issue. The body's rubber coating/paint behind the film door is peeling. Not a big deal though since it's only cosmetics. I've had worse brand new Leica cameras.. (see below)

Just curious about what country you're in. If in the US how were the import tariffs from HK?

My M-A was bought new in Wetzlar in October 2019 (I believe production is from early 2019).Absolutely flawless, works perfectly.

Which is exactly the same experience I had with the MP I got in May 2021 (production in March same year).

I can't complain.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an M-A briefly, until I realised I didn't need another M camera and my M6 was enough. In that short time to me it felt a little weirdly hollow, kind of like the M digitals used to. I also managed to put a mark on the top of it within a day. Im not sure how, I was very careful. The finish does seem very easy to mark. in comparison I had an MP for a few months and it never got a mark one it. That is a very well built camera.

Ultimately not needing two Ms I just stuck with my M6 and got a 50mm F1.,4 Summilux which has been one of my best purchases ever. The M6 to me feels the best combination of high craftsmanship but also utilitarian non-fussy usability. You don't worry about the M6 being used or marked a little, where the MA and MP felt like I was some how ruining them. But maybe that's because deep down I knew I would have to sell them again.

This last post #89 reminds me of one M-A user who had most of "film" Leica M before (even the M6J 🙃), then purchased new M-A,

and the M is so pristine that he didn't dare to use it and sold it as "new" hardly used.

If I recall he "replaced" M-A with a M4-2 and happy with that old M.

Years later ...

As he had opportunity to buy "used M-A" later on, he was happy with this second not prestine M-A to use again.

5 hours ago, rossawilson1 said:

The finish does seem very easy to mark. in comparison I had an MP for a few months and it never got a mark one it. That is a very well built camera.

I've had a black chrome M-A for five years that I have used a lot and there isn't a mark on it.  Short of banging it into something I don't see how the chrome could be so easily marked.  

The MP and the M-A are the exact same camera - other than the meter and possibly a black paint finish.  If one is well built then the other must be as well.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, junix said:

Guys, just a reminder that a camera that is not hollow inside is not a proper camera as there is no way that light will properly reach and expose the film. :)

Jokes aside, my M-A is from 2020 and it has been pure mechanical excellence from day one. The good thing about buying new from a reputable Leica dealer is that if there are indeed problems with a new camera, they will replace it almost no questions asked.

Not quite my experience. Every time it took significant convincing and explaining how film Leicas are supposed to work to the sales people 

2 hours ago, Jacobjuul said:

Not quite my experience. Every time it took significant convincing and explaining how film Leicas are supposed to work to the sales people 

I wrote reputable.;)

Well, I don't know where you buy your Leica stuff but you should probably stop buying there.

54 minutes ago, Jacobjuul said:

two different Leica stores. 

I prefer being a vip client in one Leica store rather than shuffling between two-three stores, but that's just me.

Anyhow, you can share the names of these stores here so other people from the community can avoid them or even better prove us wrong and write "what an amazing experience they had and you need to contact person XY who will solve your problem next time". Yes, you're dealing with a store but like in all businesses you're actually dealing with people.. 

10 minutes ago, kivis said:

Leica Miami, the best. Solid customer since 2000 (well it was called Dale Cameras back then).💥

I've bought from both Leica Store Miami and Tamarkin, both great dealers.  Leica Store SF, not so much...

• Like 1