Build quality of New M-A

5 hours ago, MarkP said:

I must say that although it is usually problems rather than praise that gets reported, I've never seen this number of issues raised about the MP.
If I was going to buy a new MP or MA, all this would sway me towards an MP.

Meh, same thing happens with the MP.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/319869-mechanical-perfection/

Someone gets curious about them. Searches the forum. Gets worried about what they read. Posts a new thread asking about QC. The same people tell the same horror stories about the same cameras amplifying the QC problems. And on and on it goes until people think Leica can no longer produce a working analog camera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

"Not being able to travel"?  What planet are you living on?  And you can always buy more film unless you are dead.  I prefer the loading and rewind of the M4.  Funny, in  46 years of using film Leica's I have never had problems with either the knob or crank and find the crank much faster.  And there are mint M4's out there but they just take a bit of searching.  By the way, ClassicConnection just received a mint MA for anyone looking.

I'm in Hong Kong the city still lock down because of COVID-19 ;)

22 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Strange thing, my first "Leicavit-M" is TA Rapidwinder.

How I followed his advice to add the "tulip" to finish his Rapidwinder, as he didn't want to pay the too high price of these plastic "tulips"

if sourcing from Leica (or Leitz).

Not easy to find this tulip.

I took this part from the Winder which pushes strongly my finger right after "firing", happy user again with TA Rapidwinder.

Out of memory ...

For fun, as I don't use it since I use Leicavit-M, I put it under my black M-A, the black hue is same as the M and if I use tripod, the fixing is right under the lens.

Oh the larger "round" trigger is more comfortable in use than the shallower of Leicavit-M.

TA rapidwinder can even add on a grip

I used TA because I'm using a huge 90mm Summicron v1

I can't hold it well without a grip

I want to enjoy the leicavit with a grip, so TA is the perfect choice. 

I bought M-A, but I’m sorry to report a mechanical winder issue. Every now & then the winder felt bumpy or clunky. Hard to explain, so heres a little vid I just posted on youtube for you guys.

Make sure to watch out for this when buying this camera. Other than that, the camera just didn’t feel “high end” & felt very hollow inside right where the winder is. I returned it & got MP instead. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb FranciscoChung:

I bought M-A, but I’m sorry to report a mechanical winder issue. Every now & then the winder felt bumpy or clunky. Hard to explain, so heres a little vid I just posted on youtube for you guys.

Make sure to watch out for this when buying this camera. Other than that, the camera just didn’t feel “high end” & felt very hollow inside right where the winder is. I returned it & got MP instead. 

The film transport works correctly?

So, nothing is wrong with the camera…

1 hour ago, Huss said:

My M-A feels just as high end as my MP.  Not sure how you can detect "hollowness" on a camera that shares an identical chassis, top, bottom and construction.

MP feels just as “hollow”, compare to my M3 or M2. Both MP & M-A does not feel as solid since part of winding shaft & gears are made of plastic. Not full metal construction like M3 or M2.

I could not trust that particular M-A since I was worried about the further worsening the winder issue (shown in my vid)

I just ended up getting MP since store could not give me cash refund, but only store credit.

Edited by FranciscoChung

4 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

I wonder if Leica uses the same brand of plastic in their cameras as Glock uses in its handguns?

I see ClassicConnection has a used chrome MA listed for $4850 if anyone is interested.

It just cost $4230 USD for a brand new M-A in my city. 

19 hours ago, Helge said:

The film transport works correctly?

So, nothing is wrong with the camera…

The way haptics work is magical, a psychology game of the highest level. 

Add 0.001 gram of thick grease to the winding lever and the camera will feel strong, well made, undestructible.

Grease it with super thin grease, and there you are with a flimsy, hollow feeling camera that inspires no confidence.

Brand new 5 million dollar house, built to stand 500 years but has hollow floors. And there you are thinking the house will dosintegrate after the first strong wind. Same for anything.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, FranciscoChung said:

MP feels just as “hollow”, compare to my M3 or M2. Both MP & M-A does not feel as solid since part of winding shaft & gears are made of plastic. Not full metal construction like M3 or M2.

I could not trust that particular M-A since I was worried about the further worsening the winder issue (shown in my vid)

I just ended up getting MP since store could not give me cash refund, but only store credit.

The only thing that is plastic is the film counter gear - the thing that advances the numbers taken.

I have a two M3s (single and double stroke), and both my MP and M-A are smoother and tighter  in operation.  And feel just as solid.

These are completely mechanical devices that will have fit variances from new.  Using them helps the gears bed in.  All my Ms became smoother and sweeter running with use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 8:21 PM, Huss said:

My M-A feels just as high end as my MP.  Not sure how you can detect "hollowness" on a camera that shares an identical chassis, top, bottom and construction.

Well, I guess the M-A is missing the metering circuitry so, given the same body shell and less stuff inside, it must be more hollow than an MP. 😂

Edited by wattsy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, wattsy said:

Well, I guess the M-A is missing the metering circuitry so, given the same body shell and less stuff inside, it must be more hollow than an MP. 😂

Maybe they should fill that space with something - perhaps a mechanical self-timer?