Build quality of New M-A

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

@iPacific

I didn't know that one can buy 30% less new Leica from a reputable dealer.

In France, no way to do that, so I suggest you doing what you think the best for you 😉.

Anyway any risk is on your side.

The reputable dealer sell many good stuff such as 50mm 1.2 noct silver

Their reputation is great. I usually buy Leica stuff from them.

14 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

@iPacific

I didn't know that one can buy 30% less new Leica from a reputable dealer.

In France, no way to do that, so I suggest you doing what you think the best for you 😉.

Anyway any risk is on your side.

HK dont imply on gax hence the seemingly discounted price, i got some of my gears through local dealer which probably got from HK

cheaper than got off local leica store

Got my M-A early in 2021. Suddenly the framelines weren't working when using a brand new CV 50/1.5 V2 lens. Took it back to Leica Miami where I bought the M-A. When I walked in they had another brand new M-A waiting. Turns out the mount flange on the CV lens had a QC issue. So the M-A was and still is perfect. BTW I emailed Camera Quest where I bought they CV lens. Gandy overnighted a new lens to me. I am on a customer satisfaction roll. YeHa!!

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 12:24 AM, iPacific said:

some user reported there is a weird film advance mechanism fault

i've never hear that occur in the old M cameras 

Thats my concern

Could you explain more what the fault of film advance is, is the fault from taking the 1st roll of M-A?

On 3/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, denton said:

Purchased new Leica M-A two weeks ago from Adorama. Shot a couple of rolls through it, absolutely no issues. Wonderful camera. I also own M10-R and M4. Really like this viewfinder with no clutter! Brighter than M4.

Denton

I have an M-A and love it.  But was also considering getting an M-4.  Can you explain the difference in brightness?  Is your M4's VF clean/clear?  I compared my M-A to my M4-2 and there is no difference in brightness between the two.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If comparing at night for example, the contrast of M-A can be obvious.

I use M4/M4-2 for so long that I don't see (mentally 'minussing' ?) anymore those VF reflections of street lamps, at night.

In use, the contrast in M-A VF modern coated is night&day comparing to older M4/M4-2,

in daylight less so.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, a.noctilux said:

If comparing at night for example, the contrast of M-A can be obvious.

I use M4/M4-2 for so long that I don't see (mentally 'minussing' ?) anymore those VF reflections of street lamps, at night.

In use, the contrast in M-A VF modern coated is night&day comparing to older M4/M4-2,

in daylight less so.

Youxin Yee coated the vf of my M4-2, so I don't have that issue.  The only difference I see comparing my M-A to my M4-2 is the M-A's view looks a little warmer than the M4-2. In use, no difference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iPacific said:

Hi, that’s me back in 2015 with my new faulty MA. I sent it back to Leica, and a few weeks later I got it back fixed. However, they did not provide any info on the cause of the problem. After that it has worked without any problems for 5+ years.

/magnus

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Magnus_L_Andersson said:

Hi, that’s me back in 2015 with my new faulty MA. I sent it back to Leica, and a few weeks later I got it back fixed. However, they did not provide any info on the cause of the problem. After that it has worked without any problems for 5+ years.

/magnus

I had a Zeiss Ikon ZM that would not cock the shutter with one stroke.  It needed a fraction of a second stroke to complete it.  Only happened with film in it.  Returned that camera.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:37 AM, Magnus_L_Andersson said:

/magnus

Thanks for the update

Am 5.3.2022 um 12:44 schrieb iPacific:

I was a M user. My last MP was made in 2003 something.

The build quality is good. But I sold it last year.

I'm looking for a new M-A. 

However the new analog M seems have different issues that makes me concern about the build quality of a new M-A.

especially the  film advance mechanism.

Any idea about the build quality of a M-A in 2022?

Thanks

Why?

On 3/7/2022 at 1:07 PM, Huss said:

I have an M-A and love it.  But was also considering getting an M-4.  Can you explain the difference in brightness?  Is your M4's VF clean/clear?  I compared my M-A to my M4-2 and there is no difference in brightness between the two.

Hi, After checking both with a spot meter they are actually identical. The color cast is different, and I think I interpreted the more blue cast of the M4 with the more neutral hue of the new M-A. My M10-R is 0.2 EV darker, however. None of these really make a difference. I used to have an M2 and I think that had a helpful color change in the patch. Yellow there would be nice, is there an easier way to get a slight color variation except to tape a small gel piece over the patch window?

Denton

• Like 1

In January this year, I gave my eldest son some money to buy a new M-A.  
Within a week he had to return the camera for a new replacement because his films were fogged.
The cause was a hole at the top of the film cassette chamber that leaked light from the viewfinder.

Within a week of receiving the replacement camera and with his first roll of film, he had to return it for a new replacement because the film wind-on action felt rough and the shutter wasn’t working correctly. 
The cause was a detached shutter blind.

It is now two months since he bought the first M-A and he is now on his third camera body which, so far, seems to be working properly. 
All three cameras were dated between 1&3 weeks on the sealed outer boxes before he received them. 

I’ve attached images of the issues with the first two M-A bodies:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1