Help me with camera strap suggestions for the Q2...

Alexia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got my second Q, a Q2.  Wanted to upgrade from the stock cable.  I have the LIM camera half case in black so ideally would like something that matches that...open to black or maybe even red...

Been thinking about a Peak Design, an Angelo Pelle, the better Leica strap...I have a black F1 but the edge of it is a bit uncomfortable.

Any other suggestions?

Barton - braided Asiana

red and black, superlight and comfortable  (leather flexes a little)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I have a bunch of Rock and Roll straps that I've accumulated over the years... use one on my SL 601 and on my Sigma fp-L. Tried one on the Q2M but in the end I went with an old Leica 14312 strap. Have a bunch of these from M and R film camera days. They are timeless, weightless, strong, non-marring to the finish and they take up very little space when stowed in a bag. Not a glamour solution, but from a function standpoint it's the perfect match (for me) to the weight and compact carry form of the Q2.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

I have a bunch of Rock and Roll straps that I've accumulated over the years... use one on my SL 601 and on my Sigma fp-L. Tried one on the Q2M but in the end I went with an old Leica 14312 strap. Have a bunch of these from M and R film camera days. They are timeless, weightless, strong, non-marring to the finish and they take up very little space when stowed in a bag. Not a glamour solution, but from a function standpoint it's the perfect match (for me) to the weight and compact carry form of the Q2.

This is the best strap ever.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Alan Friedman said:

I have one of those in the drawer, scared to use it though.

I'm afraid the plastic sliding piece will damage the camera, does it?

• Like 1

My Q2 is wearing the Artisan & Artist Artisan & Artist ACAM-E38R Easy Slider strap:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/222791245204?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=222791245204&targetid=1263433204974&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9016565&poi=&campaignid=13917728134&mkgroupid=130189308172&rlsatarget=pla-1263433204974&abcId=9300613&merchantid=113611044&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIfYy5nN9QIVYjizAB2OoQGyEAQYAyABEgKwhfD_BwE

Leica Store Amsterdam usually has them, but appears to be out at the moment:  https://www.leicastoreamsterdam.nl/artisan-artist-artisan-artist-acam-e25r-camera-str.html

It's a great strap that appears to have been discontinued (why of course! 🙄 ) and is getting to be hard to find.  Get one while you still  can.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

After trying different straps during the last years, I'm now very satisfied with the Peak Design Leash. I can change the strap rapidly with just a press of my thumb, on a tripod I don't like a strap dangling around, and sometimes I like carrying my Q2 on a wrist strap. And I have only one strap for the Q2 and the Q2 Monochrom.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

I have one of those in the drawer, scared to use it though.

I'm afraid the plastic sliding piece will damage the camera, does it?

There have been a number of iterations of this Leica strap over the years. The one I put on my Q2M is from a film camera (M or R, I can't remember). It has a slightly concave back side that matches the curve on the side of the camera. Unlike a round split ring (I experimented with these when exploring using a Rock and Roll leather strap) which can rub metal against the camera as it moves around, the plastic bumper does not allow the metal to touch the camera. The plastic bumper on this strap is softly rounded all around and should be pretty benign where it contacts the body. That said, I placed a couple of small pieces of electrical tape on the edges of the body just to see if they take any wear.

A couple of pictures below compare the older strap on the Q2 with the version that came with my M8. The latter has a plastic protector that is slightly convex on both sides, designed to slide easily on the bumpers that served to protect the M8 body. I do have a paint scuff on one side of my 2006 vintage M8 - maybe from the plastic protector? Or maybe from another bump?

Straps are a great way to personalize your camera. There is a strap thread on every camera forum here (maybe two or twelve?) and I love browsing them all. Many Leica cameras are like tanks. In my experience, the digital ones tend to long outlive the usefulness of their electronic parts. Preserving the bodies seems to be important if you are a buyer/seller. I am much better as a buyer than a seller (still have my 5mp Nikon D1x, along with just about every film camera I've ever owned). I'm careful with my cameras, but I'm more in the using up stuff stage of life than I am in the preservation for future owners. But that's just me!

I would be derelict in my duty as a Leica connoisseur if I did not recommend the B strap by Harry Benz:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/vintage-b

My M10 Monochrom has a black B strap, while my M-P 240 Safari has the classic brown B strap.

And the Tamarkin straps look like truly excellent camera straps:  http://www.tamarkin.com/tamarkin-camera-leather-camera-strap

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, WeiterWinkel said:

After trying different straps during the last years, I'm now very satisfied with the Peak Design Leash. I can change the strap rapidly with just a press of my thumb, on a tripod I don't like a strap dangling around, and sometimes I like carrying my Q2 on a wrist strap. And I have only one strap for the Q2 and the Q2 Monochrom.

I purchased the black Slide Lite version yesterday.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 5:34 PM, WeiterWinkel said:

I have settled on the exact same setup after trying several different kinds. The main reason is interoperability; you keep the anchors on and switch from the Leash to the Cuff and vice versa as needed. Granted, there are better looking options out there (Rock'n'Roll being one of them imho), but I adhere to the "function over form" dogma, so this is the best for me. I am still using the old anchors with the thinner cords (I know; pd has sent me the newer ones too) so I don't have to use the metal loops at all. The Q2 is not a heavy setup and the risk of them snapping is negligible given their load capacity, so if one is not fond of the metal loops (I know I am not), this may be an option too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a "Artisan & Artist" on my Q2, and it works very well....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an embarrassing collection of straps I've bought and decided I don't like. I don't like wrist straps that tighten on your wrist preventing you getting them off quickly. So why have I got TWO? One Peak Design Cuff and one COOPH cord strap.

In general I find leather neck straps too bulky when you put them in a small bag - they don't fold or squash down as well as woven straps. The standard Leica strap just does the job and I can't find anything wrong with it. But to pimp my camera my preferred straps are silk/cord wrist or neck straps from Luigi Crescenzi and A&A. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I've acquired a silly number of straps for my M10 and Q2 in the past couple of years:

Harry Benz uroshi

Artisan and Artist silk cord (Short and long)

Arte di Mano comodo (shorty)

Cooph/Leica rope

Leica brand leather strap

You can't really go wrong with any of them, but I do find some work better in certain situations.

The A&A silk cords and Arte di Mano comodo are more compact in the bag, and the short Arte di Mano is the perfect strap if you want to alternate between carrying the camera around your neck and hand carrying the camera with the strap wound around your wrist. The leather on the Arte di Mano is quite thin so it wraps well.

Currently I have the Cooph rope strap on my Q2, largely because I carry the Q2 without a bag or case and just sling it over my shoulder or across my chest and go. I thought I wouldn't care for it given the diameter but really like the size and ruggedness of it. I managed to find the now discontinued Oasis color on ebay and it is lovely.

Benz strap is incredibly high quality - couldn't ask for a nicer leather strap. That said it can be bulky when put in a bag (like the Cooph rope strap) so I don't use it if I'm in a situation where I'm walking around pulling the camera in and out of a bag - I use the arte di mano or short A&A silk cord strap instead.

Curious: how do people wrap a neck strap around their wrists so it is neither too loose nor cuts off blood circulation? I've never managed it (it just comes too loose and drops off), but plenty of people say they do it, so I'm sure the fault is mine. Can someone post a photo? Or a sketch with arrows and numbers?

23 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Curious: how do people wrap a neck strap around their wrists so it is neither too loose nor cuts off blood circulation? I've never managed it (it just comes too loose and drops off), but plenty of people say they do it, so I'm sure the fault is mine. Can someone post a photo? Or a sketch with arrows and numbers?

well:

not the way I do it, but it seems to work...

I usually just hook on the thumb, and then go around the wrist a few times, loosely, till I get the connectors almost at finger tips - does require some adjustment/play to get if just about right

another one:

ps: I just copy part of your question and let google do it's magic 🤪

Edited by nwphil