Impressed by Topaz Labs Sharpening AI

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used the SL2 in multiexposure (189Mpx) mode with a Summicron 50mm SL at f2.2. The edges do get softer (not entirely clear that this is the lens or atmosphere or the way that the SL2 takes / stitches such images).  Topaz Sharpen AI does a reasonable job at cleaning up the deficiencies.  (I have probably slightly overcooked it, but may well have started with the auto settings.). [No interest to declare; paid for the product (v 3.3.5).]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

And here is a bigger slice of the whole pic (top and bottom trimmed)

Yeah it really works great, especially on subjects such as buildings with lots of straight lines. Your example showcases it perfectly.

The noisier and more complex the subject in the the image, the more that Topaz struggles and you can get some artifacts on occasion. I find using DXO Prime before Topaz tends to give better results as if you have a tricky subject (hair / fur / feathers / grass etc).  I don't really use either program with my Leica photographs, but when I'm shooting birds on my Sony I'm often at high ISO and a heavy crop, so I start with DXO Prime to remove the noise in the image and then follow up with Topaz Sharpen.  This seems to give me the best result if I need to clean up a difficult image.

Starting with a clean image though, Topaz gives a really easy one-step result 👍

• Thanks 1

sure it is an drastic improvement .. there are still spots where it gets confused..

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just as an information:

As I could read in different sources many had problems to implement that product properly as Plugin in Lightroom CC: On my Mac with right mouse click I could press "edit in . ." and Denoise AI would then open and a Tif was created and visible in Lightroom CC. But after saving my result from Denoise that file would not come back into Lightroom directly. Instead a second Tif was created and stored on the hard drive. Subsequently by pressing "synchronise folder. . ." I could import that Topas-result into Lightroom. That actually was easy and worked fine but this is not how it should work. The result should immediately be visible in Lightroom and that initial Tif that was created should be overwritten by the resulting Tif.

After a 10 minutes long zoom meeting with Topas support we found out what was wrong: In the "preferences" unter "presets" there is a field "store presets with this catalog". In my settings that field was marked. After taking that mark out everything was fine. 

That is the solution. Just a last point: I have no idea what other effect it has for Lightroom to remove that mark . . . But up to now everything seems to be fine.