Crooked SBLOO Viewfinder -Any Suggestions?

Markie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks - I have a new (to me) removable 3,5 cm viewfinder, I believe is model SBLOO, that I recently bought for use with my beloved M3. 

However, placed in the accessory shoe it is noticeable crooked by 3-4 degrees -ugh! (see photos). I have confirmed it is not the camera or the shoe, but rather the viewfinder that is askew, confirmed by two not-so-parallel arms placed against the top and bottom.

There seems to be no way to adjust this angle. The one tiny screw at the bottom of the viewfinder does not seem to adjust anything. The body of the viewfinder appears to be one piece construction.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have a solution to straighten this viewfinder?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you for a response; however, my problem is not a loose connection to the shoe (it is quite firm when fixed to the camera), it is simply crooked with no seemingly obvious way to adjust the angle. The guide rails are different than yours, quite thick and not sure that pliers would be able to straighten the viewfinder.

Appreciate your interest in helping me.  Mark.

Edited by Markie
Added more information
  • Like 1

Badly  manufactured, I fear..🙄: have just checked mine : the hole on the shoe is perfectly centered on the width : in your item it does not look like this, causing the angled position of the optical unit : I think that fixing it is a next to impossible task : the "body" looks to be a single machined part, not the coupling of two with some sort of "fine adjusting" facility (differently from the viewfinders with parrallax correction)

I think that the tiny screw you mention has not relation with the body in itself : I tend to think its role is related to the mounting-securing of the glass unit into the single body (from the front, by logic)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks all for your input on this issue. I will live with this annoyance and make any horizontal corrections in Lightroom. It seems uncharacteristic of German manufacturing, to be so off, given their reputation and culture of quality and precision.

Mark

6 hours ago, Markie said:

Thanks all for your input on this issue. I will live with this annoyance and make any horizontal corrections in Lightroom. It seems uncharacteristic of German manufacturing, to be so off, given their reputation and culture of quality and precision.

Mark

It depends when it was manufactured, if the B17's were flying over maybe it's the ultimate expression of a 'Friday afternoon job'.

12 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

You might just have to file a bit off the foot on the raised side to level it up.

Hello Everybody,

Or put a small, shaped, piece of easily removable masking tape on the other side.

No reason to "Burn Your Bridges" (Make a not reversible change.) if you don't have to.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Good idea Michael !! Some strips of tape well cut and positioned and it's done and reversible ! Makes me remember when in 2006 I did a similar tape-frame on the focus screen of my Visoflex II to use it on M8 with its 18x27 sensor 😎

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

I think I know what happened to your 35 finder, same as happened to mine.  The camera it was once attached to was dropped and landed on the finder and bent it.  Mine is not bent like yours but it was dropped on the finder and crushed it just enough to throw the focus out.  Only tell tale sign is an ever so slight depression on the top of the finder, not something one can see unless specifically looking for it.  But it was enough to throw the focus off just a tad.  I never noticed it because my vision is off unless I wear corrective lenses, and I do not wear my glasses when I am shooting a camera (glasses are an annoyance so I make do without them).  So to me the image was perfectly in focus.  I decided to sell the finder and sent it to a gent with perfect vision and he told me it was off.  Of course I refunded his money and then looked further into the finder upon return.  It, again, looked fine to me.  But then I got to thinking and put on my glasses and finally realized that it was indeed out of focus.  Glasses off, it looks fine, glasses on, not so much.  So I just kept it and use it as it is without my glasses.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I am pretty sure your finder was atop a camera that was dropped and landed on the finder.  I suspect if you closely examine the underside you will see an ever so slight depression on one side.