Jump to content

Macbook Pro 2021


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

41 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

NOTE… The LR CC version is more limited, dumbed down.  I’m referring to LR Classic, which used to be called LRCC Classic; it’s the successor to LR 6, and has received many enhancements since

Thanks Jeff,

I didn't even bother to install the cloud one... I'm not unhappy with classic, in fact it's nice because it has many of bits I liked from C1, but now in the app that I actually like to use. 

I suppose I better make an effort with PS too! I've not touched it since 2008 and that was elements, so that might be a steep curve!

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Sure, just saying that the gap is closing and that LR can now be used for many situations that formerly required PS for best and quick results.

Jeff

I agree, though any special operation (e.g.: masking, healing, panorama merge, HDR merge) seems to work better in PS. On the other hand, all changes in LrC are non-destructive and often good enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys,

my generic usb bt dongle mouse is flaky* on the mac, and I can’t adjust LR sliders using the scroll wheel

apple magic mouse…?

fixes everything or was my initial impression when I saw it in the store (ahahaha €86 for a f**king mouse) on the money?

I won’t cry if I have a wired one….

(*some online reports of the magic one being flaky too)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, SrMi said:

I agree, though any special operation (e.g.: masking, healing, panorama merge, HDR merge) seems to work better in PS. On the other hand, all changes in LrC are non-destructive and often good enough.

Don't you work on layers in PS? I do a lot of "LR" changes in ACR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Guys,

my generic usb bt dongle mouse is flaky* on the mac, and I can’t adjust LR sliders using the scroll wheel

apple magic mouse…?

fixes everything or was my initial impression when I saw it in the store (ahahaha €86 for a f**king mouse) on the money?

I won’t cry if I have a wired one….

(*some online reports of the magic one being flaky too)

 

Any wired mouse will work, but I prefer the Magic Trackpad - no more rodents for me. I was unimpressed by the Magic Mouse too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Don't you work on layers in PS? I do a lot of "LR" changes in ACR.

Yes I do, but for file size reasons, I flatten them before returning to LrC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just added our printer to my mac...

How to add our printer to windows

-use printer wizard (fails)
-go to brother website, download brother utility
-run utility (fails)
-Log on to household router
-note IP address of printer
-add print over IP settings to windows
-Printer prints

How to add printer to Mac

-click add printer
-Mac asks "is it this Brother one"
-Me: yes
-Mac: (5 secs later) that's done for you now mate

and suddenly the mac seems like a bargain 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

Guys,

my generic usb bt dongle mouse is flaky* on the mac, and I can’t adjust LR sliders using the scroll wheel

apple magic mouse…?

fixes everything or was my initial impression when I saw it in the store (ahahaha €86 for a f**king mouse) on the money?

I won’t cry if I have a wired one….

(*some online reports of the magic one being flaky too)

 

I do not like Magic Mouse. I use Logitech MX Anywhere 2s BT mouse. Small and silent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

I hardly use LR... And file size does not bother me :) 

Your comment motivated me to start learning more about non-destructive editing in PS (smart objects, etc.). Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SrMi said:

I do not like Magic Mouse. I use Logitech MX Anywhere 2s BT mouse. Small and silent.

Funnily enough the Logitech MX anywhere 3 is on sale at (my) amazon atm, €30 off… I was quite tempted, looks a bit small though

Silly question…

Can it be made to control the sliders (eg exposure/shadow etc) in LR/c1 via a horizontal scroll? 
 

in windows if you click on the slider you can then adjust it with the scroll wheel, at first I thought my generic usb bt mouse was just being crap, but my mac using ‘tog mates tell me nope that’s just how it works in mac

I’ve been using the arrow keys in c1 and +/- in LR, but it’s hard to break a long standing habit of click and scroll (drag and drop the slider with the mouse is a bit imprecise)

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

I hardly use LR... And file size does not bother me :) 

 

2 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Your comment motivated me to start learning more about non-destructive editing in PS (smart objects, etc.). Thanks!

I wish I could make my peace with c1… I own the latest version outright, it has enough bells and whistles for my work flow, I know how to use it (for what i want to do)… it just annoys me somehow… LR edits have more presence in someway … technically not as good (sharp, recovery etc) but just have a slightly less digital harshness to them

(I actually started using c1 way before LR, v7 iirc - loved it with the fujis, but never gelled with it on Leica DNG)

(obviously?) I’ve profiled it, and bought commercial presets and profiles for it, I’ve got happier with the look, but it’s never quite there for me… 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Funnily enough the Logitech MX anywhere 3 is on sale at (my) amazon atm, €30 off… I was quite tempted, looks a bit small though

Silly question…

Can it be made to control the sliders (eg exposure/shadow etc) in LR/c1 via a horizontal scroll? 
 

in windows if you click on the slider you can then adjust it with the scroll wheel, at first I thought my generic usb bt mouse was just being crap, but my mac using ‘tog mates tell me nope that’s just how it works in mac

I’ve been using the arrow keys in c1 and +/- in LR, but it’s hard to break a long standing habit of click and scroll (drag and drop the slider with the mouse is a bit imprecise)

No, it does not seem that horizontal scroll works on sliders. I find horizontal scroll on the MX Anywhere mouse cumbersome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the old C1 for the M8 but then they integrated a filing system to compete  with LR and started to add features. I never managed to wrap my mind around it  after that. I have the newest version as a present with a camera but I still can’t even figure out how to handle files let alone edit them. Not that I put any effort in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

No, it does not seem that horizontal scroll works on sliders. I find horizontal scroll on the MX Anywhere mouse cumbersome.

Ah ok thanks, I’ll file it under “new things to get used too” 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I used the old C1 for the M8 but then they integrated a filing system to compete  with LR and started to add features. I never managed to wrap my mind around it  after that. I have the newest version as a present with a camera but I still can’t even figure out how to handle files let alone edit them. Not that I put any effort in. 

Yeah c1 is some what cumbersome at best… And their DAM really puts the DAM into “damn that’s a shit solution”

A few things are implemented better than LR (like editing two pictures side by side, and the fact if you use custom grid overlays they display while you’re using the crop tool, plus you can easily work in your chosen file export colour space)

I think if I spent a serious amount of time configuring c1 to my tastes, creating lens profiles for my lenses  that either work properly or where c1 doesn’t think that lens exists (two things c1 is bad at with M mount glass), making a barebones toolset that fits on one page, remembering to heavily keyword everything I import as their search isn’t great (got better in v22 to be fair) then we could get along.. but why bother when I’m not particularly smitten with the output? (Rhetorical question of the day!)

Owning c1 and buying every other update at existing user discount has been more pricey than the CC subscription… 

…now I’m on CC and have PS (not had that since elements in 2008!) I can’t imagine that PS isn’t a far superior tool for layers etc so I should probably focus my efforts there… the previous talk of destructive editing is a little disconcerting thought!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...