Gary - Stump'd since 2021

Stevejack

My goodness, this man and his family have really been through it.  Wishing them well.  A pair of great portraits, the lighting is perfect.

We have a friend who lost both his legs, like Gary, one below and one above the knee, had extensive burns to his body and massive internal injuries after a work accident involving power lines.  First responders declared him gone, then his wife told not to expect recovery.  Long story, lots of pain and suffering later, he makes me and his many other friends smile with his stories, has an amazing sense of humour and a lust for life that is enviable.  He's watched his two boys grow up and produce families of their own, they were two and four at the time of his accident.  His nickname is Bluey, and no prizes for guessing why.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Boojay said:

My goodness, this man and his family have really been through it.  Wishing them well.  A pair of great portraits, the lighting is perfect.

We have a friend who lost both his legs, like Gary, one below and one above the knee, had extensive burns to his body and massive internal injuries after a work accident involving power lines.  First responders declared him gone, then his wife told not to expect recovery.  Long story, lots of pain and suffering later, he makes me and his many other friends smile with his stories, has an amazing sense of humour and a lust for life that is enviable.  He's watched his two boys grow up and produce families of their own, they were two and four at the time of his accident.  His nickname is Bluey, and no prizes for guessing why.  

That's another incredible story, glad he was able to make it out the other side. It's enviable the way some people who've really been through it come out with an incredibly strong desire to live life to the absolute fullest. 

Gary was my first session last night, and the second subject right after had a somewhat similar story. A champion ice skater, struck down by a massive car accident which led to paralysis (thankfully not permanent) and other major ongoing issues. Metal plates and rods are still holding him together today, but after that experience he was a completely new person and certainly lives his life like there's no tomorrow. Still dreams about ice skating every single night, even though he hasn't been able to do it for many decades now. Quite a sad/happy story really.

Edited by Stevejack
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevejack said:

That's another incredible story, glad he was able to make it out the other side. It's enviable the way some people who've really been through it come out with an incredibly strong desire to live life to the absolute fullest. 

Gary was my first session last night, and the second subject right after had a somewhat similar story. A champion ice skater, struck down by a massive car accident which led to paralysis (thankfully not permanent) and other major ongoing issues. Metal plates and rods are still holding him together today, but after that experience he was a completely new person and certainly lives his life like there's no tomorrow. Still dreams about ice skating every single night, even though he hasn't been able to do it for many decades now. Quite a sad/happy story really.

Wow.  I always find meeting people who have gone through such adversity a humbling experience and a reminder to count my blessings.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, fotografr said:

Powerful and beautiful photographs. Both stories are inspirational. 

I couldn’t agree more.  The first one reminds me of a remarkable self-portrait made by photographer Giles Duley.  I was privileged to spend a weekend in his company several years ago, like those pictured above, Giles is an outstanding example of the capacity and fortitude of the human spirit.  Possibly much less known than he deserves, I was and still am in awe of his determination, intellect and courage.  Worth investigating.

David 

https://www.ft.com/content/24b7c84a-7d23-11e7-ab01-a13271d1ee9c

Edited by David Cantor
Link added
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, David Cantor said:

I couldn’t agree more.  The first one reminds me of a remarkable self-portrait made by photographer Giles Duley.  I was privileged to spend a weekend in his company several years ago, like those pictured above, Giles is an outstanding example of the capacity and fortitude of the human spirit.  Possibly much less known than he deserves, I was and still am in awe of his determination, intellect and courage.  Worth investigating.

David 

https://www.ft.com/content/24b7c84a-7d23-11e7-ab01-a13271d1ee9c

Unfortunately the link is behind a paywall and I can't see the article, when I get a chance I'll search him up because I'd love to see his self portrait and read his story. Thanks for the suggestion 👍

On 3/8/2024 at 2:20 AM, Stevejack said:

Gary was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age ten. In 2021 Gary was admitted to hospital with pneumonia, which spiralled into a storm of complications.
He suffered a heart attack which put him in hospital for several weeks, as they massaged his heart to keep him alive. During this time he developed a clot in his left leg, which needed to be amputated. Another several weeks in the ICU, and 11 successful resuscitation attempts later, his liver, kidneys and stomach systematically shut down. At this time his family were called in to say their goodbyes.
And yet, 23 days later he was moved from intensive care to the cardiac unit so that he could start his recovery. Unfortunately at this time the doctors discovered that the stint they had placed in his right leg had failed, causing another clot and leading to the amputation of his right leg.  

Ever the optimist, and with an extremely supportive wife, Gary made it through and is learning to walk with prosthetic legs. As a way to keep his mental health in check, he started a small workshop crafting items made of wood. He calls his woodworking business "Stump'd since 2021". 

M11M + 50mm APO

Very strong portraits. Hats off for both you and the sitter.

• Thanks 1