Jump to content

Macbook Pro 2021


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

LR 6 won't install. The problem is not LR per se, but the installer. Adobe never upgraded the installer to 64bit 🙄

I am not sure whether it is possible, but can't you run  the installer and LR6 under Rosetta?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much @Simone_DF

The mac showed up a week early! So I’ve got quite far with it already…

I decided in the end to transfer data manually, bit dumb perhaps… but that way I can also do some house keeping.

(So far the changes in file locations has been the headache, with it proving to be tricky to replicate my windows preferences)

for office I’ve gone with libreoffice (or whatever it’s called) and that seems ok (in a sort of ms office 1995 type way 😅)

I should look at iSuite maybe… 

I ended up signing up too adobe CC, well I’m still on their generous 7 day trail - I’ve tried before to switch to C1 (I have the latest version)  but it never sticks and I always return to LR…

As mrs Adam put it, you’re fretting about £10pm? You pay more than that to have a gym membership you never use. Fair point.

And as well, the general consensus that Mac is better for photo editing was the source of my desire to switch, so seems daft not to get the software I like

and on that note, I don’t think it’s fair to compare LR6 on intel to LR CC on silicon… but I can compare c1, which isn’t shabby but it’s much snappier on the mac

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, Adam Bonn said:

s it true that displaycal doesn't work on the newer macbooks? (Important to me)

 

FWIIW:

Quote

Dec 31, 2020 9:50 AM in response to Foo Fighters

Hi there, I found a workaround.

 

If you have a previous profile created with DisplayCAL, open DisplayCAL (even on your M1), load your old profile, enable Show Advanced Options in the Options menu, go to the Profiling tab, and select Single curve + matrix as the profile type and enable black point compensation. Then use "Create profile from measurement data" from the File menu and save the new profile.

 

If you don't have a DisplayCAL profile, use another computer to create a "Single curve + matrix" profile with the instructions above.

 

Once you have a single curve + matrix profile, navigate to

~/Library/Application Support/DisplayCAL/storage/

and copy the appropriate ICC or ICM file to

~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

 

I have done both and I'm quite pleased with the results (𝞓E < 2) on my relatively cheap monitor, especially by creating a new profile from scratch from my windows machine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

FWIIW:

 

I downloaded the latest displaycal then the latest agryll, opened everything in the bin folder, overrode mac’s extreme distrust of non-signed apps

then ran displaycal and it works, I found these instructions on the net

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 7 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

I am not sure whether it is possible, but can't you run  the installer and LR6 under Rosetta?

AFAIK Rosetta was ended after Mac OS X 10.6. Or is there a new version available?

But even if you can run the installer I guess it wouldn't work. I migrated from an older MacBook to the 2020 model with 10.15 Catalina. It has the CS4 Adobe suite already installed. So all the applications where 64-bit. But the new system abandoned them anyway without a warning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

In general, when switching from Windows to  Mac, it is better to start from zero and accept the learning (and app purchase) curve. In the end you will be happy that you made the effort. 

You read my mind !!!!!!!!!
 

i decided that a slow patient cross over, with the correct apps for my needs was the best way to get the most out of (for me anyway) an extremely expensive equipment purchase.

I didn’t go mac to then cut corners, do a hack/rush/bodge job on the set up.

 

(besides the windows machine is still there if i need it)

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, fotomas said:

AFAIK Rosetta was ended after Mac OS X 10.6. Or is there a new version available?

But even if you can run the installer I guess it wouldn't work. I migrated from an older MacBook to the 2020 model with 10.15 Catalina. It has the CS4 Adobe suite already installed. So all the applications where 64-bit. But the new system abandoned them anyway without a warning. 

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/install-rosetta-m1-apple-silicon-mac/

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, fotomas said:

AFAIK Rosetta was ended after Mac OS X 10.6. Or is there a new version available?

Apple switched from Intel architecture to ARM, kind of what they did when they went from PowerPC to Intel, so Apple released a new version of Rosetta to help during the transition, since not all apps are optimized to run natively on M1 processors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I haven't tried but I don't think so. The new Rosetta is made to run apps made on the Intel architecture on ARM chips.

32bit software is not supported on macOS since Catalina

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Maybe so, but in the first months Photoshop was hopeless on my M1 Mac mini but it ran flawlessly under Rosetta2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

You read my mind !!!!!!!!!
 

i decided that a slow patient cross over, with the correct apps for my needs was the best way to get the most out of (for me anyway) an extremely expensive equipment purchase.

I didn’t go mac to then cut corners, do a hack/rush/bodge job on the set up.

 

(besides the windows machine is still there if i need it)

From experience I can assure you that you'll never look back. When I have to run my Windows machines for work I regularly curse the software developer company for refusing to provide Mac versions... :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jaapv said:

From experience I can assure you that you'll never look back. When I have to run my Windows machines for work I regularly curse the software developer company for refusing to provide Mac versions... :( 

the mac experience has basically been like this so far! 🤣

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

 

I ended up signing up too adobe CC, well I’m still on their generous 7 day trail - I’ve tried before to switch to C1 (I have the latest version)  but it never sticks and I always return to LR…

As mrs Adam put it, you’re fretting about £10pm? You pay more than that to have a gym membership you never use. Fair point.

 

 

 

That $10/mo  includes LR Classic and Photoshop. I spend the same or less now than I used to spend on upgrading to new Adobe versions (and far less than costs in my darkroom days). Minor upgrades to address bugs, add gear support or to add new features are now regular and quick at no additional fee.  One of the biggest bangs for the buck in my overall photo budget.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

That $10/mo  includes LR Classic and Photoshop. I spend the same or less now than I used to spend on upgrading to new Adobe versions (and far less than costs in my darkroom days). Minor upgrades to address bugs, add gear support or to add new features are now regular and quick at no additional fee.  One of the biggest bangs for the buck in my overall photo budget.

Jeff

Well I bought lr6 in 2017 for £120. It still covers every camera that I own (latest being the m10) it’s effortless to legally obtain support for later models using adobe’s own FOC toolset.

The cost to me for doing this has less than £2.50 a month… (TCO amortised into months owned)

That said I like LR, PS I haven’t used in years. It’s a good deal for both apps, but for me I was never fussed about PS.

Anyways, it’s £10pm if I ever can’t afford that then not having an image editing suite will probably be the least of my worries!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Well I bought lr6 in 2017 for £120. It still covers every camera that I own (latest being the m10) it’s effortless to legally obtain support for later models using adobe’s own FOC toolset.

 

 

The added features and controls (especially local) in the new LR compared to the last LR6 version are night and day.  I’ve reprinted pics from 5 years ago, often now with notable improvements, and easier workflow. 

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The added features and controls (especially local) in the new LR compared to the last LR6 version are night and day.  I’ve reprinted pics from 5 years ago, often now with notable improvements, and easier workflow. 

Jeff

i paid already I don't need the sales pitch 😀

Much like how the M10 is just as good as it ever was, it didn't get worse cos the m11 came out, lr6 is as capable as it ever was, it didn't get worse just cos lr cc got updated (mainly with features that C1's had for years by the looks of it... keystone, brush selections based on colour/luminosity etc/colour grading... maybe that's dulled my excitement a little bit.

Still, somethings I liked about c1, now available in my fav raw editor - well worth the tenner a month I'm sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

i paid already I don't need the sales pitch 😀

Much like how the M10 is just as good as it ever was, it didn't get worse cos the m11 came out, lr6 is as capable as it ever was, it didn't get worse just cos lr cc got updated (mainly with features that C1's had for years by the looks of it... keystone, brush selections based on colour/luminosity etc/colour grading... maybe that's dulled my excitement a little bit.

Still, somethings I liked about c1, now available in my fav raw editor - well worth the tenner a month I'm sure!


My prints improved using current LR Classic vs LR6, and was easier to use.  All that matters to me; not a sales pitch. So, yeah, my old version got rightly tossed. YMMV.  
 

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:


My prints improved using current LR Classic vs LR6, and was easier to use.  All that matters to me; not a sales pitch. So, yeah, my old version got rightly tossed. YMMV.  
 

Jeff

What feature of classic made them better? When was that feature introduced?

my usage case is simpler, if I wish to use a legal copy (& I do) of lr then i must subscribe.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

What feature of classic made them better? When was that feature introduced?

my usage case is simpler, if I wish to use a legal copy (& I do) of lr then i must subscribe.

 

Too many to note… but especially the ability to make more and better local adjustments with both prior and new tools, not just global changes. These have been introduced over time, and have increasingly made Photoshop unnecessary. There are many resources, both written and via video, covering added controls and features with Classic CC (now called Classic). Julieanne Kost’s free Adobe videos are one such source.

NOTE… The LR CC version is more limited, dumbed down.  I’m referring to LR Classic, which used to be called LR Classic CC; it’s the successor to LR 6, and has received many enhancements since.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...