How long does shutter last ?

Kodak35

2 hours ago, Kodak35 said:

Thank you all for your reply, we don't have too much choice with more than 10 yrs old camera, right ;) 
I have received the camera yesterday, after a few shots testing, i realized that all my under-exposured photos with medium-high ISO (320-2500) alsway had this problem: 
red/ blue pixel lines appear in the photos

is this normal with M8s sensor ? all the M8s have this ?
Could we have any solution for these type of photos ? or we have to live with it ?

Thank you again !
Have a great day with your cameras !

These lines can often be mapped out by  Leica.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 4:10 AM, jaapv said:

These lines can often be mapped out by  Leica.

I believe there’s also a way of mapping them out in photoshop, albeit on a photoshop per photo basis which can be  automated thru using a macro. I’m more of a Lightroom man myself, so can’t speak to the mechanics of this. 

On 12/10/2021 at 2:17 AM, Al Brown said:

The shutters on mirrorless cameras usually last much longer than on DSLR. That said, Canon 1Dx was declared at 150K and Sony's a7 cameras were at 300-400K. Of course the latter had some flaw in several models that made the shutter bite the dust at 100K +/-.

How long the Leica shutter lasts is always one of the magical mysteries of the red dot. With Leica it is not only auctuations, but also Live View that lifts the shutter, so this is added to the count. I am on my first NEW Leica (M10-R) so this will be a first hand experience, almost 20K now. I will report how far it takes me.

I once spoke to a well established seller and repairman of Leica cameras. He calls the digital Leicas "Digitalschrott" (digital junk in German), but speaks affectionately about the early M's. According to his theory on "M3 being built to last forever" he puts the M3 shutter at the brave 500-600K...

Unless the strong sunlight is focused on the clothe shutter. In that case, it’ll burn a hole thru the shutter screen, or so I’ve read. That said, I bought a ‘55 M3 about six months ago and am really enjoying it. Hopefully the shutter will last until I pass the camera on to my daughter. 

Edited by AceVentura1986

• 3 weeks later...

I have been talking to my contacts in Wetzlar today regarding the service, replacements and shutter life of the M8.
The latest information for 2022 is this: EVERYTHING but the display can be repaired, but when the shutter fails you get the REPLACEMENT SHUTTER of Leica M9 for your M8, unfortunately thus you LOSE the 1/8000s but IMHO it is a minor sacrifice for a brand new & durable shutter.
The cost is about 500+ euros for repairs + shutter cost + tax.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a point of reference, I (re)discovered over the weekend that Canon, when it introduced its professional, top-of-the-line, motor-capable, metal-foil-shutter F-1 in 1971, was very proud of, and promoted, the fact that the F-1 was built to deliver 100000 "picture operations."

• Like 1