"Four Eyes": a thread for goggled lenses

stray cat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, Sailronin said:

Wet leaves on a glass top table.

50mm Summicron DR with goggles at closet focus (about .46 meters) Click on the image and then zoom in to see the detail this lens with goggles can capture, not bad for a 61 year old lens.

Ilford HP5+ in Rodinal 1:50 for 8.8 min at 20C

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Quite good I'd say. I used ISOOZ close-up goggles with my Elmar 50/2.8 for these next 2 shots.

📷M3 👓Elmar 50/2.8 with ISOOZ close-up goggles 🎞Tmax 100

• Like 5

Lens-head of 50mm Summicron v. 2 and SOOKY-M on M10:

• Like 6

Now it is time to close Leica Forum.It is bed-time. 00.28h. Good Night.

Claus

M10 + Summaron "Gogles" 35mm 2,8

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

M-A Goggle Gear
M246 Macro-Elmar

• Like 6

On 11/11/2021 at 6:27 PM, stray cat said:

wonder if Leica would consider bringing back one, for their retro series? Perhaps one based on the early 35mm Summilux "steel rim" might be a popular item, with that .65m minimum focus distance?

Now we enter the Double Jeopardy round with the question, “What would prompt Leica to update a Goggle 35 mm Summicron or Summilux?“ Currently offered online for $8000, there is a “steel rim“ 35 mm Summilux. What is so appealing to us eyeglass wearers is being able to see the frame lines for wide-angle 35 mm. With a .72 viewfinder, it is difficult for me wearing eyeglasses to see frame lines for 35 mm on M-A, MP, and M246. Here is a bit of Googling to support the Retro Goggle 35 mm lens.
“Over 4 billion adults in the world wear glasses. This statistic is derived from the Vision Council of America's claim that about 75 percent of the adult population worldwide uses vision correction products, and 64 percent of them wear glasses.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Now we enter the Double Jeopardy round with the question, “What would prompt Leica to update a Goggle 35 mm Summicron or Summilux?“ Currently offered online for $8000, there is a “steel rim“ 35 mm Summilux. What is so appealing to us eyeglass wearers is being able to see the frame lines for wide-angle 35 mm. With a .72 viewfinder, it is difficult for me wearing eyeglasses to see frame lines for 35 mm on M-A, MP, and M246. Here is a bit of Googling to support the Retro Goggle 35 mm lens.
“Over 4 billion adults in the world wear glasses. This statistic is derived from the Vision Council of America's claim that about 75 percent of the adult population worldwide uses vision correction products, and 64 percent of them wear glasses.”

OK that's just about nailed a perfect business case for Leica to re-introduce one (or more) of these four-eyed beauties. So come on Leica, there's opportunity right here!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

m6ttl, 135mm elmarit-m, ektar

Edited by stray cat
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, stray cat said:

OK that's just about nailed a perfect business case for Leica to re-introduce one (or more) of these four-eyed beauties. So come on Leica, there's opportunity right here!

Dr. Kaufman would be inclined to agree, one would suspect, since he also wears glasses and would certainly see the merits of Goggle Wide-angle lenses for both analog and digital M cameras. Marry the goggle to existing lens designs, 35mm and even 28mm. From a business perspective, we open the market to the 64% wearing eyeglasses. The question, though, is still whether or not the majority of Leica users wear eyeglasses. It's fair to guess that the answer is yes. If not, a Retro Goggle lens will still energize sales for existing lens designs. Hmmmm?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ernest said:

Dr. Kaufman would be inclined to agree, one would suspect, since he also wears glasses and would certainly see the merits of Goggle Wide-angle lenses for both analog and digital M cameras. Marry the goggle to existing lens designs, 35mm and even 28mm. From a business perspective, we open the market to the 64% wearing eyeglasses. The question, though, is still whether or not the majority of Leica users wear eyeglasses. It's fair to guess that the answer is yes. If not, a Retro Goggle lens will still energize sales for existing lens designs. Hmmmm?

21 minutes ago, Ernest said:

This is ringing the bell for that bazooka beauty of an Elmarit-M!

18 minutes ago, mikemgb said:

I’ve been looking at this lens for a while, it may be big and heavy but the quality cannot be denied. 

The Goggle lenses are downright sexy anyway - I think we can all agree on that. I'm sure Dr Kaufman is an avid visitor to this thread so perhaps we can start the new Leica Rumours  item now? 

And, yes, the Elmarit-M 135mm is, well, "on the weighty side" but it is a ripper lens and, in Leica terms at least, an absolute bargain. Why not have one sitting around, even if you don't carry it with you all the time? In fact yesterday I was doing some close-focus tests on Ektar with it against my Elmar 135mm from 1962 (that lens used to belong to Elliott Erwitt :rolleyes:). They both focus to 1.5m / just under 5 feet. I won't know how the test went for a few weeks I guess but I'll be sure to post them here. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stray cat said:

The Goggle lenses are downright sexy anyway - I think we can all agree on that. I'm sure Dr Kaufman is an avid visitor to this thread so perhaps we can start the new Leica Rumours  item now? 

And, yes, the Elmarit-M 135mm is, well, "on the weighty side" but it is a ripper lens and, in Leica terms at least, an absolute bargain. Why not have one sitting around, even if you don't carry it with you all the time? In fact yesterday I was doing some close-focus tests on Ektar with it against my Elmar 135mm from 1962 (that lens used to belong to Elliott Erwitt :rolleyes:). They both focus to 1.5m / just under 5 feet. I won't know how the test went for a few weeks I guess but I'll be sure to post them here. 

I have had my eye on Goggle 135mm, and I may have to get crazy a little. I admit I have been a bit of a bad boy because I just took delivery on the MP BP I pre-ordered four months ago. Yes, the Goggle 35 and 50 DR acquit themselves quite nicely on black paint, but the real kicker is that I can "see" all of the frame lines for 35mm with goggles. We must usher in the Retro Goggle. Let's push for a 28mm, too.

• Like 1

Wow! Congratulations on acquiring a BPMP! A stunning companion! 

Hey, get crazy. Like the sign I noticed outside a women's shoe store the other day "Life is short - buy the god-damn shoes!"

And, yeah, there could be a little holy trinity of goggled lenses on offer - 28mm, 35mm, 50mm. All f2 or f1.4 and all with nice close-focus. And all offered free to participants in the "Four Eyes" thread. Over to you, Dr K...

• Haha 2

More temptation...

m6ttl, 135mm elmarit-m, velvia 50

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stray cat said:

Wow! Congratulations on acquiring a BPMP! A stunning companion! 

Hey, get crazy. Like the sign I noticed outside a women's shoe store the other day "Life is short - buy the god-damn shoes!"

And, yeah, there could be a little holy trinity of goggled lenses on offer - 28mm, 35mm, 50mm. All f2 or f1.4 and all with nice close-focus. And all offered free to participants in the "Four Eyes" thread. Over to you, Dr K...

A goggled 28 that pulls up the 35mm frame lines on my M2 would be wonderful. I use an Elmarit-M 28 on it and seeing the edges of the viewfinder is very difficult with glasses. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stray cat said:

More temptation...

Damn, I didn't even know about the Elmarit-M 135 with goggles, and now I want one!  Bad thread, bad thread...

• Haha 2

M-A Goggle Summicron 35
M246 Macro-Elmar
Back to the Future Stealth

• Like 3

On 11/12/2021 at 11:25 AM, Sailronin said:

Here's my MP with 50mm Summicron DR and goggles installed.  I think it looks pretty cool...

Max Retro MP - WOW

Timeless state-of-the-art in forever silver chrome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, stray cat said:

More temptation...

Amazing on this planet evidence right down the Elmarit-M surf line. 

• Haha 1

I'm lucky to have a 135/2.8 Elmarit-M that happens to focus perfectly through the goggles and optical rangefinder of my M8 (with the M8 crop factor, giving an approximate 35mm equivalent of 165mm).

Honeybee and Hibiscus

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 4