7Artisan Close Up M to L Adapter?

Taki8888

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I saw an older thread suggesting the M to L close up adapter:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1552539-REG/7artisans_photoelectric_close_ring_l_s_close_focus_adapter_ring.html

All 3 reviews are very bad. Is this a QA issue or bad design? Just avoid it? 

How close could I focus using it with the Nokton 40mm which shows minimum focus 2.1M?

Looking for something in the US since there are very long delays right now buying from out of the country.

I was watching Matt Osborne on YouTube last night and he mentioned that adaptor. At least I think it's that adaptor. He likes it because you can get closer than the 0.7 meters with the M glass. Maybe poke around on his channel and you'll find his review of it. I'm positive he was showing the close up adaptor he uses in he latest video.

Edited by Shawn30

I purchased a couple of M to L close focus adapters marketed by a Chinese firm Haoge from Amazon a year or so back. I posted about the adapter to the forum at the time. Unfortunately, a search just now does not show the M-L version - only M to other lens mounts. I found these adapters to be quite good. They are not built to the specs of the 10x more expensive ($795) Leica macro-adapter, but they work well and allow the camera to focus at infinity when dialed all the way in. I don't have one at hand while writing this, but I believe they move the lens out to about 5mm which allows you to focus much closer with a 50mm lens. Fun to use.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought to 7Artisans adapter a while back and regret it.  It is ok as far as it goes but the locking pin gets depressed (ie - is unlocked) when an extension tube is also used.  I would definitely prefer the Haoge version as better enginered.   I can provide photos if my description is too obscure.

I own one and have had no problems at all. Works as it is supposed to, quality is just fine except the fill for the embossed writing is a bit sloppy. Adjustment for extending the focal distance is firm and does not move once adjusted. Only slight issue has been that you have to be firm when attaching so that it clicks/locks in place. Other than that I am very happy with it and love what it does. Works great.

4 hours ago, galleryg said:

I own one and have had no problems at all. Works as it is supposed to, quality is just fine except the fill for the embossed writing is a bit sloppy. Adjustment for extending the focal distance is firm and does not move once adjusted. Only slight issue has been that you have to be firm when attaching so that it clicks/locks in place. Other than that I am very happy with it and love what it does. Works great.

No infinity focus issues? I’m planning to use it on an S5 with a couple of old m mount lenses.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:27 AM, Shawn30 said:

I was watching Matt Osborne on YouTube last night and he mentioned that adaptor. At least I think it's that adaptor. He likes it because you can get closer than the 0.7 meters with the M glass. Maybe poke around on his channel and you'll find his review of it. I'm positive he was showing the close up adaptor he uses in he latest video.

Matt mentioned that the adapter doesn't give the lens accurate infinity focus, so if that's important, maybe choose another adapter.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, huwm said:

No infinity focus issues? I’m planning to use it on an S5 with a couple of old m mount lenses.

I have not noticed any. Could be a QC issue with some of them. The ring that changes the focus distance on my adapter is very firm and will stay put. It has no slop and has a very firm stop when fully retracted or extended.

• Like 2

I bought one by Urth. Came DOA: the lens did not mount, a spring was broken and bent and extended outside of the flange where the bayonet should drop in.

I was not the first one to be sent the device: the Urth seal was broken. I returned it. Who will next get it? [I think it is the shipper that has a sloppy service, the Urth workmanship looks very good.]

I got a new M->L adapter from the ur brand. It attaches good to the camera but the M-side feels a bit uneven when mounting. A mini 'warp', so the metal sticks in one place. Needs a bit of vaseline. I might look elsewhere for another brand.

Edited by Alberti

I'd recommend the novoflex adapter. alternative to the leica one without contacts unfortunately. no play and build quality is good.

Cosmetically my only gripe is the adapter does not cover the whole mount so the camera mount is partially exposed. The kipon is the same however and has lesser build quality.

I was considering the urth which looks like the adapter covers the entire camera mount. No experience with urth though. 

FYI, I have the Hawks Factory adapter. I didn't mention it earlier because the original poster wanted something in the US, and the Hawks is usually only available direct from the maker in Taiwan.

It's a very good adapter. My initial copy had a minor fit issue, which was promptly fixed. I doubt he will let one get away with that issue again.

I've used it a lot with a ZM Planar 50, where it brings minimum focus down from 70cm to approximately 45cm. It's very intuitive to operate, with great feel (positive lock at the non-macro position, smooth helical). Highly recommended.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

using an early 1950s Elmar 90mm f4 about I can get to about 40-50cm
  • Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

the 1970s 40mm Summicron from the original CL from not much more than 20cm